Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TLR-1 on AR-15?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Don't know if they're any good, except price looks good. Ordered a few this morning. Got the 500 lumens/no IR as I primarily want them for indoor usage. $10 more for 200 lumens and IR capability is a deal

500 lumens
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/98...omposite-black

700 lumens with IR
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...omposite-black

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    Don't know if they're any good, except price looks good. Ordered a few this morning. Got the 500 lumens/no IR as I primarily want them for indoor usage. $10 more for 200 lumens and IR capability is a deal

500 lumens
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/98...omposite-black

700 lumens with IR
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...omposite-black
    I have had only good luck with the Inforce WMLs. Personally, I like the WML over the WMLx types, but that is just me. I have seen some complaining reviews about cracked bodies and bezels, but none of those complaints fit my experience, and I have at least six of them in several different configurations and generations.

Not as pleased with the APL lights though; I prefer the TLR or SF brands for pistol/toggle switch lights.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    Yep, looks like those are the older-gen WML/WMLX models with a bit less output, but at those prices it's a no brainer, IMO.
    Great lights, especially for rail-mounting @ 12 o'clock (lightweight, no extra mount needed, streamlined, etc.). They are also not as tall on the rail as the TLRs, which is preferable if you run a red-dot, especially at absolute co-witness height.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I prefer a custom LED drop in in a Surefire weapon light that way you get appropriate throw for the distance

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    I can speak directly to the advantages of using a Scout light over a TLR-1 or X300.

First, the Scout type light is designed first and foremost for use on a carbine. As a result, it has many features that make it more attractive when mounted to a carbine. These include a slimmer profile, longer extension of the light relative to control surfaces, a rear pressure switch designed for direct thumb pressure that matches up with where your supporting hand will interface with the light vs a toggle / swing arm switch on the TLR-1 or X300 type of lights.

Next, the mounting system of a scout light allows you to utilize an incredibly broad spectrum of mounting options. Take a look around at Impact Weapon Systems for just the sheer variety of scout mounts available.

Further, Scout lights have tailcaps that can run to a pressure switch, allowing you to mount the light (in any of the badass scout mounts available) in a location where it is convenient for the light, but maintain control surfaces where it is convenient for the shooter. This is a big deal.

Finally, Scout lights are pretty much the standard for carbine lights, and investing in them allows you to share gear across several rifles / lights, especially in the case of Surefire Scouts / Arisaka light bodies / Malkoff heads.

For real, hands on, no shit rifle shooting, a scout light is the go to.
    I used a scout light for the better part of a decade. That ended when I got the chance to use the Streamlight. No way does the Scout do anything better than the Streamlight. I tossed the Scout and now run the TLR-1HL...and have never looked back.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Scout light format can be versatile if you replace the LED head with an E to C adapter and use a custom p60 size LED drop in. The different types of reflectors and even the quad LED with Optics provide a lot of different beam profiles for different distances and surroundings

That being said you are talking a whole lot more money than the Streamlight... They have taken a lot of Surefire market share as it is hard for a us-made product to compete on price with a Chinese made products

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The TLR 1 is great on a rifle. The only down side is figuring out a comfortable way to actuate the light while in different shooting positions.

Feedback Score
    Was deciding this myself last night and chose to order the 800 Lumen TLR-1HL long gun kit after comparing my Surefire X300U-B, my TLR-1HL 630 Lumen, and Surefire M300c in the same dark field. the X300U and TLR-1HL 630 both were suitable at 100 yards and about the same, so I figure the 800 lumen TLR-1HL will wind up getting the slightt advantage. the M300c slacked compared to the two with its lower lumen output and more yellowish light which is perceived by my eyes as dimmer than the Streamlights whiter light. All other scout style lights or Streamlight protacs are too large for me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a TLR-1 HL I alternate between on of my ARs and a M&P 15-22. It's mostly used on the .22 for armadillos and such in my yard. It very easily reaches past 50 meters which allows me to either red dot the critters or go with my laser. Very impressed with the Streamlight. Here it is on the .22 (flip-covered).

Feedback Score

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast