Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larue Predatobr vs LMT Mws which is the better all around gun?

Feedback Score

Larue Predatobr vs LMT Mws which is the better all around gun?

Looking to pick up a 308 AR, I’m looking at the predatobr and Lmt mws with 18” barrels. Which one is more accurate? Reliable? Overall better fit and finish?

Feedback Score
    Larue has a heck of a deal now on the assemble yourself rifle. Can't say no to that. Great quality at a reasonable price.
    http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-762-260-upper-kit

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Larue Tactical is known for their accuracy with the OBR. No experience with the 7.62 variants, but have a friend with the PredatOBR 5.56 and I have a PredatAR 5.56. Excellent guns.

With the MWS I have shot sub MOA in both .308Win and 6.5CM. I haven't had any hiccups with it. I try to baby it, so fit and finish is excellent. With a magnified optic on it, it is a pig. This isn't something for running and gunning.

Both are or should be great guns and I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

Feedback Score
    I'm real happy with my Larue OBR. It could be lighter though. The lmt was on my list while I was looking for my 308. I wanted my 308AR to fit closer to my bolt guns than my carbine so the Larue won.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Two fundamentally different guns, at least in the roles they were intended to fill.

I've got a decent amount of time behind an MWS, so I can speak directly to that. The MWS is more of a DMR than anything else. Be warned, it is heavy - not outrageously so in absolute terms of weight, but the distribution of it makes it rather hard to use in a battle rifle role. It does have actual fielding from a few teams and militaries, so it's a proven design. Quick-change barrels are nice if you're running multiple calibers (such as .308 and 6.5CM). It's MOA-accurate with good ammo (stainless barrels seem to be slightly sub-MOA), but nothing spectacular.

The OBR is more of a battle rifle, but with higher accuracy (for disclosure, I have not had a chance to shoot one myself - just seen enough to know it's true). It's lighter, reportedly more accurate, and has tighter tolerances than the MWS. There was a discussion and one of the SME's mentioned that the tighter tolerances of the OBR were the likely reason for the increased performance... and also were likely less reliable under usage in actual field conditions. It's not proven (fielded) in the same way the LMT has been, but unless you're doing bad things to bad people in bad places on a regular basis, it probably won't matter.

I think the LMT has more solid innovation, but the OBR definitely handles better. But then again, it's a DMR vs battle rifle comparison.

My .02: I'd save up and get a KAC SR25. It's lightyears beyond both of them, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 10-26-17 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    Two fundamentally different guns, at least in the roles they were intended to fill.

I've got a decent amount of time behind an MWS, so I can speak directly to that. The MWS is more of a DMR than anything else. Be warned, it is heavy - not outrageously so in absolute terms of weight, but the distribution of it makes it rather hard to use in a battle rifle role. It does have actual fielding from a few teams and militaries, so it's a proven design. Quick-change barrels are nice if you're running multiple calibers (such as .308 and 6.5CM). It's MOA-accurate with good ammo (stainless barrels seem to be slightly sub-MOA), but nothing spectacular.

The OBR is more of a battle rifle, but with higher accuracy (for disclosure, I have not had a chance to shoot one myself - just seen enough to know it's true). It's lighter, reportedly more accurate, and has tighter tolerances than the MWS. There was a discussion and one of the SME's mentioned that the tighter tolerances of the OBR were the likely reason for the increased performance... and also were likely less reliable under usage in actual field conditions. It's not proven (fielded) in the same way the LMT has been, but unless you're doing bad things to bad people in bad places on a regular basis, it probably won't matter.

I think the LMT has more solid innovation, but the OBR definitely handles better. But then again, it's a DMR vs battle rifle comparison.

My .02: I'd save up and get a KAC SR25. It's lightyears beyond both of them, in my opinion.
    Im an MWS owner and I too think Larue makes a fine rifle. For me it was MWS. Skyrr, why do you say KAC is light years better? I have heard better, but never light years so please advise. I think when LMT launched every body was saying "just about the same gun for half price", but that hype has settled down. Im a KAC fan and would definitely consider one if I could get $$,$$$k a year in schooling for my kids done.

I have a fine appreciation for well built stuff and I know many people that own them are way impressed so hit me up.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Im an MWS owner and I too think Larue makes a fine rifle. For me it was MWS. Skyrr, why do you say KAC is light years better? I have heard better, but never light years so please advise. I think when LMT launched every body was saying "just about the same gun for half price", but that hype has settled down. Im a KAC fan and would definitely consider one if I could get $$,$$$k a year in schooling for my kids done.

I have a fine appreciation for well built stuff and I know many people that own them are way impressed so hit me up.

PB
    Maybe "light years" is a slight exaggeration, so I apologize if it was taken as more literal than figurative. For me, the difference is in how everything just comes together. The SR25 comes together in such a way that I find it hard to see any room for improvement. The MWS? It's a very fine gun, there's just several things you could change/improve that would greatly increase the experience, which I believe the SR25 addresses: barrel profiles and barrel offerings, lighter-weight rails (or MLOK instead of their proprietary system), better gas port tuning, etc.

The MWS can do pretty much everything the SR25 can, but the SR25 just feels so much better doing it. The SR25 feels lighter than it should be, handles/points better, recoils much less than you would expect a .308 to (this was the biggest thing for me), and the new gas systems are simply great from a simplicity standpoint. And really, the recoil difference is pretty noticeable... especially if you're shooting more than 10-20 rounds in a session.

If your task is getting rounds on paper, then both will do a nearly-identical job. But, if you want a super-maneuverable rifle that can serve as both a battle rifle and a DMR, then that's where the SR25 shines.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's nothing I can fault the MWS for (I run one), it's just that the SR25 does almost everything better with no perceivable drawbacks. The MWS definitely feels like a heavy .308 DMR, while the SR25 feels like a well-balanced, large-frame 5.56. It's just a joy to shoot the KAC guns.

At the end of the day though, it comes down to $$$, which is why I got the MWS instead of the SR25. I believe the SR25 is better, but at my current point in life, I personally couldn't justify the extra $3k cost difference over an MWS, especially when I don't shoot .308 that much (compared to 5.56). So, I got the MWS with the SR25 being my long-term dream/goal semi-auto .308.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 10-26-17 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    JoshNC may provide some insight, since he owned an OBR, an MWS, and now has an ACC (which is getting sold). This past Monday we shot his ACC side by side with my MWS. We even used his Surefire 762 RC on both.

Without the can the ACC had slightly less recoil, but it also has a brake installed whereas my MWS has a warcomp. With the can, my MWS had less recoil, and the impulse wasn't as sharp.

Do I want an ACC? Hell yes. I find ways to justify expensive toys all the time, but unfortunately I can't do it on the ACC. I don't feel like the $2000 premium over an MWS nets me anything except a half pound of weight and slightly better handling. The new m-lok chassis for the MWS narrows the weight difference, too, although it's a little more expensive than the quad rail version.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a friend that has an FDE M110 and I have wanted to shoot that thing badly. I do understand they run a great gas system. One day I may suck it up and buy, right day, right paycheck and just maybe. Thanks again.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It may not be totally comparable but I have an ECC and my bro has an LMT.

The only real difference is weight. Both get more or less the same groups with FGMM. Well within the degree of accuracy anyone would want from a semi.

My only "niggle" is that the LMT is bit heavy.

I have no point of reference for an OBR but have heard good things from good people.

I dont think you could really go wrong either way. I liked the LMT MWS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast