Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Poor Man's Assault Weapon(PMAW)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    143
    Feedback Score
    0

    Poor Man's Assault Weapon(PMAW)

    Just posed this as a response to a thread in the Shotgun Forum, but figured it might make a good NEW THREAD. Here goes: Looking for what I call the Poor Man's Assault Weapon(PMAW):
    1: Based on a Remington Auto (11-87 or 1100 ??)
    2: Reliable with both Light and Heavy Loads/Low and High Brass
    3: GOOD Sights//// Ghost-Ring or other High Visibilty set-up
    4: NON-WOOD Stock with sling swivels studs or similiar sling-friendly set-up
    5: Dull, "military-type" finish
    6: 6 or 8 shot capacity
    7: Over-sized or extended charging handle

    TALK TO ME GUYS!! The 1100 Tactical according to a recent G&A Personal Defense magazine is close to this BUT I'm open to suggestions. Please DON'T refer me to Wilson(ScatterGun Tech.)or Nighthawk Customs.....CAN'T SPEND THAT MUCH. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "WE DEAL IN LEAD FRIEND.", Steve McQueen,THe Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)/OIF 2007-08
    Colt Gov't & OM / G19 & 26/SP101
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya SARAH !

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    154
    Feedback Score
    0
    First - why an auto?

    Second - 1100 vs 1187 vs Benelli - go to http://www.brianenos.com/forums/ and start reading about the three.

    Things to know - 1100 vs 1187 - a used 1100 is probably gonna be cheaper and easier to find. Both have some gas system mantainence issues to watch out for and stay on top of. Parts for Rem's are cheap and common. If you search around you could probably find a M1S90 for about what the final bill is gonna be on a tweeked 1100. A Benelli is like an AK - really simple design and pretty solid all the way around. Lastly - most folks agree that GRS are slower overal and a simple bead is good enough for slugs at 100.

    I have an 1100 (tweeked) a M1S90 and a Vang 590 - if it had to work, I'd grab the Mossy. That said, I'll take a carbine over all of them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,041
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Just posed this as a response to a thread in the Shotgun Forum, but figured it might make a good NEW THREAD. Here goes: Looking for what I call the Poor Man's Assault Weapon(PMAW):
    1: Based on a Remington Auto (11-87 or 1100 ??)
    2: Reliable with both Light and Heavy Loads/Low and High Brass
    3: GOOD Sights//// Ghost-Ring or other High Visibilty set-up
    4: NON-WOOD Stock with sling swivels studs or similiar sling-friendly set-up
    5: Dull, "military-type" finish
    6: 6 or 8 shot capacity
    7: Over-sized or extended charging handle

    TALK TO ME GUYS!! The 1100 Tactical according to a recent G&A Personal Defense magazine is close to this BUT I'm open to suggestions. Please DON'T refer me to Wilson(ScatterGun Tech.)or Nighthawk Customs.....CAN'T SPEND THAT MUCH. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What is the purpose of this firearm and what is the upper limit on what you are willing to spend?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    167
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    What is the purpose of this firearm and what is the upper limit on what you are willing to spend?
    +1, awaiting response!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    143
    Feedback Score
    0

    More info on PMAW

    Home Defense, General Shooting with a tactical type emphasis. Would like to stay under a $1000 complete(meaning sling, and a possible different iron sight, i.e. ghost-ring) THANKS guys!!
    "WE DEAL IN LEAD FRIEND.", Steve McQueen,THe Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)/OIF 2007-08
    Colt Gov't & OM / G19 & 26/SP101
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya SARAH !

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    122
    Feedback Score
    0

    1100

    Just got the 1100 tactical and have been very happy. I got the longer barrel with the three chokes included. I broke the shell intercept latch the first week and remington sent me a new one. Since been to two 3 gun matches without issue.

    Mule

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    956
    Feedback Score
    0
    For $1,000 you can do something much more reliable and durable than a gas operated semi atuo:

    Rem. 870 Express with 18" IC, rifle sighted barrel
    Rem. Youth Stock
    Used Surefire forend (yes you can find them on AR15.com)
    Vang 2 shot extended Mag tube and high visibility follower
    Vang safety
    Vickers VTAS 2 point sling with front mounted to the Vang sling slot on their Mag extension tube, and the rear mounted to a GG&G receiver sling mount.

    Load it with the Federal Tactical 00 "Flight Control" wad load and you'll have a weapon that will print all 9 pellets in a 10" circle at 20 yds.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    707
    Feedback Score
    0

    PMAW

    My 3 gun shotgun is a Benelli
    My social shotgun is a 870

    I echo ToddAckerman's response for a social gun, and would ensure use of a good magazine tube spring, and a 4 round side saddle.

    As a former 1187 owner, I can tell you that Remmy autoloaders are notorious for not working. When I attend a 3 gun match, I want all my competitors to shoot Remmys!

    Hopefully singlestacker's 1100 tactical works for him

    Gotta keep them clean, use the right ammo, change the o-rings often, run 2 orings, drill the gas ports, keep the mag tube clean with a scotch brite pad, etc. etc. etc. Matt Burkett's shotgun DVD has some good tips for keeping the Remmy's working.

    FWIW, I worked a shotgun only stage at the Mutigun nats (142 shooters) and saw about 300 (?) guys come through my stage. I saw several Remmy 11xx shotguns stop working, but no Benellis and no SX2s. No pump guns went down.

    Benellis are much more reliable. Just don't try to carry all your ammo for a match on the gun.

    The suggestion to search the Enos forums was good one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    42
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sff70 View Post
    Gotta keep them clean, use the right ammo, change the o-rings often, run 2 orings, drill the gas ports, keep the mag tube clean with a scotch brite pad, etc. etc. etc. Matt Burkett's shotgun DVD has some good tips for keeping the Remmy's working.
    Sounds like a good plug for the 870 or 590.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    150
    Feedback Score
    0
    My tip to keep a Remmy running.....................Make sure it is a 870!!!!

    Autos are finicky, pumps work as long as you do your part.


    Nine 870s and counting!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •