Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benelli and Win/FN Shotguns for 3-Gun

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Benelli and Win/FN Shotguns for 3-Gun

I've read that a lot of 3-gun competitors use Benellis (M1, M2) and that some use Win SX2s (and maybe the FN SLP).

Is the Benelli more durable than the SX2? I know the SX2 is cycles fast and being gas, seems like it would be softer shooting. Why is the Benelli used more?

I have heard that some SX2 have broken bolt handles, but don't know if they have any other problems.

Thanks for any info.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The top guys use both with success. The SX2/FN is relatively new (4-5 years?) but has been rapidly gaining popularity in the sport.

Benellis are lighter and there are more aftermarket parts available however the FN is pretty much ready to go out of the box.

Shoot both and see what you like. Personally I have a M1S90 w/ 21" barrel with Hi-Viz FO, straight stock, and Nordic ext tube and clamp. It shoots everything from Wally World Valu-Packs to Reduced Recoil Slugs. I plan on having Benny Hill lighten the bolt and bevel out the lower receiver at some point but not really in a hurry.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you heard of any problems with the SX2/FNs? Any bolt handle issues?

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an SX2/FN that I have shot moderately. ZERO problems and no broken parts, I would like an extended bolt handle though...

Cameron

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One big reason I wanted an M1S90 over an SX2 was getting a pistol grip. I haven't seen a pg stock for an SX2 and that was kind of a bummer for me. Plus I got a killer deal on my Benelli. Otherwise the SX2 has a ton going for it. I found it to be very soft shooting and it'll hold a ton of ammo with the various 3 gun gear holders attached.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Since summertime I've been using a FN SLP Mk1. I find this to be about the best shotgun I've ever used for competition. It's great. Mine came with a light and heavy piston. Light is marked 1.5oz or lighter and the Heavy is marked 1.5oz or heavier. Most of the time I run the Browning Gold 1-1/8oz or lighter and never shoot 'full-power' ammo. I shoot 7-1/2oz and 8s low brass and low recoil Federal 1oz reduced power TruBall slugs. The gun has run for me 100%, with now over 1000 rounds though it and 200 slugs. I'm using a 3gungear.com 8 shot side saddle (velco'd on) along with their 2 shot forearm saddle (near the chamber). I don't use the rear sight as it doesn't work with my loads I just use the fiber front and the gutter of the scope mount. I'm now using the 1 shot extension (for outlaw 3gun), bolt handle and bolt button from Nordic Components. They also make my extensions for my Magpul PMAGs so that they hold 47 rounds ! Good Stuff !
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

Shotguns

I owned/used a Win SX2. Sold it and bought a Benelli M2 Tactical 18" barrel.

The SX2 was a great gun. Ran 100% with all the ammo I every shot through it. The stock and barrel were OK length for competition, not so much for social use. That's the primary reason I sold it.

The Benelli is lighter and kicks a little more. Mine has the stock Benelli rifle sights, which are very stout. I prefer them to the sights on the SX2.

The Benelli came with 3 chokes. I can't remember what the SX2 came with.

One thing to be aware of: if you prefer to keep a lot of your spare ammo on the shotgun, the SX2 will work fine. The Benelli can have only so many rounds on it before it'll have stoppages. It's a recoil operated gun, so it can't have a ton of added weight on it. Mine works 100% with 10 rounds on it.

For competition, I add a Nordic +4 extension to the Benelli.

A worthwhile addition to the SX2/SLP is a heavy duty spring, I think for the shell catch or some such part. There is more info on this on the Brian Enos forums. I never did this to mine, but evidently by upgrading this spring, it makes the gun less likely to choke.

Bottom line: both are good shotguns. The Benellis are more popular with hard core 3 gun guys. The SX2 has a little bit faster cycle time (under .1 second), but few guys can shoot well enough to take advantage of that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    One big reason I wanted an M1S90 over an SX2 was getting a pistol grip. I haven't seen a pg stock for an SX2 and that was kind of a bummer for me. Plus I got a killer deal on my Benelli. Otherwise the SX2 has a ton going for it. I found it to be very soft shooting and it'll hold a ton of ammo with the various 3 gun gear holders attached.
    Yeah I wish that someone made a pistol grip stock for the SLP/SX2 as well. Since no one does at this time, I made my own.

My SLP with a modified Speedfeed stock designed for the Remington 870. Oh, its the shorter 13" stock so this makes it about one inch shorter than the factory SLP stock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A while back, I read some posts from a gentleman somewhere (another forum), that had an FN SLP. He ended up selling it, because his would not function reliably if it were fired at sharp angles up or down. I believe he was emulating being down on the ground and firing it up and firing down from various positions.

Has anyone else heard of this or tried firing the SLP in these positions?

I do wish FN produced the MKI in an 18" configuration.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Race; 11-04-08 at 07:46.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Race View Post
    A while back, I read some posts from a gentleman somewhere (another forum), that had an FN SLP. He ended up selling it, because his would not function reliably if it were fired at sharp angles up or down. I believe he was emulating being down on the ground and firing it up and firing down from various positions.

Has anyone else heard of this or tried firing the SLP in these positions?

I do wish FN produced the MKI in an 18" configuration.

Thanks.

I've shot more than 500 rounds in 3gun matches and 3gun practice and mines only ever jammed once and it was on a round of Winchester where the plastic at the tip up near the crimp was bent up. It runs on everything else including the very weak Federal bulk pack low brass 7-1/2s and 8s.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast