Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poor Man's Assault Weapon(PMAW)

Feedback Score

Remmy v. Bennelli

For self-loading shotguns, Benellis simply have a much better track record than the Remingtons.

Most the of the top 3 gun competitors (Burkett, Voight, Butler, just to name a few) use Benellis for a reason, and it's not for sponsorship money, it's because they work when others have not.

An 870 is an excellent choice for defense. Simple = good. Apart from shooter induced stoppages, they run and run and run.

The typical shooter induced stoppages I see are:
    -Short stroking
    -Not pushing new shell full past shell stops (creates feedway stoppage)
    -Inserting new shotshell backwards (requires disassembly of shotgun)

Additional issues:
    -Confusing slug for buck, and vice versa
    -Prematurely applying back pressure to foreend (causes misses)
    -Low mag capacity
    -Difficulty of operating when injured in hands/arms

All those reasons, and more, are why I prefer a carbine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, two cents on this....

Is there a reason not to do a Saiga conversion with 8 or 10 round mags?

With a conventional shotgun you are going to have to make some choices. Does a really long 'hog leg' bother you? IMHO, shotguns should either be really short like breaching shotguns, or really long like tactical turkey guns that can double as rifles with the right loads.

The best capabilities will come with a long bbl like on a turkey gun. Maybe get an improved cylinder or get a Vang cylinder bore job. You can find extened mag tubes for the 870 that will take it to 10 rounds and will fit on a 26" bbl. Kurt Saxon's "Poor Man's James Bond" also has a chapter on building a DIY mag tube.

You can get some nice JPoint type holo sights for around $200. Look at Burris, JPoint, and DrOptic. A 4 minute dot should be all you need.

Check gunbroker.com or the local shops/gun shows for a second hand 870 Police. Most people are not going to have so many miles on a Remington Police to really matter for your purposes.
    Last edited by Armati; 11-02-08 at 08:49.

Feedback Score
    I like my 870 alot. Simple tool. Simple to maintain. Will digest anything I feed it. And it didnt cost as much as the 1100. If I remember right it was like $550.00. I have a hunting 1100 that Im looking at getting a tactical barrel for it. No luck as of yet. Anyone know where I could get one??????

Grunt get you an 870 Brother.
    Last edited by Dualspringfields; 11-01-08 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ok first off any one thinks a Benelli is the ultimate in reliablity has not spent that much time around them. Benellis are great guns when the work. The problem is when the don't work they are the hardist to clear/ figure out. I also like the comment from SSF70 wanting all of his fellow competitors to shoot Remmys. There is not a 100% shotgun out there they ALL a prone to malfunctions, and if your best chances of winning is attributed to someone elses gun, not your skill then I guess that speaks for itself.

My advice for the OP is to look to an FN SLP. They have a few configurations available. They use a gas system so the gun will have less recoil than the Benelli, and FN has the fast operating system available. I believe they make an 18" with all the features you were talking about for under the price you are willing to pay.

For the record I shoot a 1100 tactical, and I will continue to shoot 3gun and tac shotgun matches with it until it finally gives up the ghost. My gun has thousands of rounds through it(Slugs, buck, high brass, low brass) and it shows, but it usually is at or near the top of the score sheets. But ultimately it is the operator not the tool.

Matt

Feedback Score

Shotguns

It is the indian, not the arrow, unless the indian is willing and the arrow is broken.

If someone chooses to handicap themself by using a system prone to having more problems or requiring more frequent maintenance, that's not my problem.

I choose to not handicap myself with equipment that doesn't work, therefore I can shoot to the best of my ability w/o worrying about my equipment working. Been there, done that, which is why I'm a former Remmy owner.

Over the years, I've seen a lot more problems with Remmys than Benellis. Now, there are a lot more Remmys in use than Benellis, but Benellis have much less to go wrong with them.

Also, I've owned all three shotguns were are talking about: an 11-87 (over 10 yrs), a SX2 (2 yrs) and a Benelli (3 yrs).

At one point, I owned all three at the same time and shot them back to back to back to decide what I was keeping (the Remmy was definitely going, but it was good to know how it compared).

Sold the Remmy and the SX2, kept the Benelli.

The SX2 (SLP) is a great gun, with little aftermarket support, and pretty much runs out of the box. Had the SLP been available in an 18" configuration when I was considering the Benelli, I might very well have bought one.

Neither the SX2 or the Benelli require drilling gas ports, running double O-rings, changing out the O rings often, or frequent cleaning and lube that the Remmy's require. Nor do they require installation of an EZloader (been there, done that, too).

I have yet to see a SX2 or Benelli shooter tearing their shotgun down between stages at a match to clean the mag tube with a scotchbrite pad and lubing it so it'll be reliable.

Benelli issues are typically: using a hard-mounted side-saddle instead of a velcro mounted one, using a pistol grip and gripping it too hard. Both issues result in stoppages by preventing the recoil operated gun from operating like it was designed to, much like limp-wristing a Glock.

Anyway, my trigger finger can't outrun the action on the Benelli, so the slightly faster cycle time of the SX2 does me no good, and I like that it's lighter than the Remmy. I don't shoot magnums, so the recoil of the Benelli doesn't bug me, either.

Remmy parts are widely available, but Brownells carries a good selection of Benelli parts should you need them.

In closing, if possible, try each of these shotguns in person and see for yourself. You may find you have a distinct preference for one or another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12