G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Remove safety on Shield?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,698
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

    Remove safety on Shield?

    anyone ever remove the safety on a Shield? what did you do about the hole in the frame?..
    never push a wrench...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm removing from my 5" M&P 2.0. Called S&W customer service and they have FDE or Black as plugs to fill in the space. Plugs were complimentary.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,698
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrx35 View Post
    I'm removing from my 5" M&P 2.0. Called S&W customer service and they have FDE or Black as plugs to fill in the space. Plugs were complimentary.
    oh really? you think they might do that for the Shield?

    I preordered this pistol when they were first available and there was no choice about safety. I'm left handed so a single right-handed safety is a liability in a carry gum, IMO...
    never push a wrench...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    oh really? you think they might do that for the Shield?
    It's logical since they sell Shields w/o manual safeties. All it takes is a call:
    (USA) 1-800-331-0852
    Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,892
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrx35 View Post
    It's logical since they sell Shields w/o manual safeties. All it takes is a call:
    (USA) 1-800-331-0852
    Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time
    Didn't know they made one with a manual safety. If that's what I wanted, I think I'd trade/sell the one I had with the safety for one without vs plugging holes, but that's me.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Here are what the plugs look like. There may be different SKUs for the Shield. When I put in the Apex flat trigger for my Shield, I am certain the manual safety may be removed.

    ETA: There are several YT vids on this topic.
    Last edited by jrx35; 10-11-17 at 17:36.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,242
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From someone on the S&W Forums, posted 6/13/2017, so fairly recent:

    I contacted s&w, but the rep I talked to said they do not for the shield, at least the 9mm shield. Does anyone else make a plug for the the shield after removing the thumb saftey?

    Look at post #9-13 on this thread: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...s-u-doing.html

    SAme guy on this one, post #40: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ml#post2270116

    ETA: I bought my Shield as part of an LE package deal promo at Quantico Tactical several years ago, M&P9 and Shield. The shield was the best part of the deal - until the M&P9 2.0 came out.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 10-11-17 at 17:58.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,698
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Didn't know they made one with a manual safety. If that's what I wanted, I think I'd trade/sell the one I had with the safety for one without vs plugging holes, but that's me.
    yeah, that would usually be what I would do but with the low MAP price along with the rebate, the price on the 9mm Shield has bottomed out.

    It's not a big deal for me, I don't use the gun much but if I could remove the safety and get a frame plug I might use it more...
    never push a wrench...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas near San Antonio
    Posts
    961
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm curious why someone would want to remove the safety on a Shield since it really sits flush to the slide and is barely noticeable. I have three Shields bought from a store that only carries the safety models, and for under $300 per gun when on sale, I just ignore the safety. And if I ever sell one, the safety could be a factor.

    FTR, I did paint the under side frame red with a drop of fingernail polish so I can tell quickly if the safety is engaged or not.

    Does removing the safety improve the trigger pull in any way?

    Again, I'm not trying to be negative, just wondering if removing the safety improves anything. Thanks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hamburg PA
    Posts
    3,125
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I'm curious why someone would want to remove the safety on a Shield since it really sits flush to the slide and is barely noticeable. I have three Shields bought from a store that only carries the safety models, and for under $300 per gun when on sale, I just ignore the safety. And if I ever sell one, the safety could be a factor.

    FTR, I did paint the under side frame red with a drop of fingernail polish so I can tell quickly if the safety is engaged or not.

    Does removing the safety improve the trigger pull in any way?

    Again, I'm not trying to be negative, just wondering if removing the safety improves anything. Thanks
    For most it is one less thing to go wrong under stress. While it may be hard for the safety to become engaged if carried disengaged, I'd rather not have to worry about the thing at all.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

    "Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

    "Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •