Thread: 3-Lug Help needed (Rugged Obsidian)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

3-Lug Help needed (Rugged Obsidian)

Hi guys,

I don't have any experience with 3-Lug but was looking for a quick attachment method for running my Obsidian 45 on a CZ Evo Scorpion and 3 Lug seemed to fit the bill.

I bought the Obsidian 3-lug adapter for my suppressor and bought a Griffin 3-Lug adapter.

Unfortunately, when I try to mount the suppressor onto the 3-lug there isn't enough clearance to get it to engage to the point that I can rotate it and get it to lock up when I push it down onto the 3-lug muzzle device. I push it down as hard as is possible, it gets to a hard stop with the spring compression and I am unable to rotate it at all, so I know that the lip of the suppressor mount is not clearing past the lips on the 3-lug points.

If I remove the spring from the 3-lug adapter on the Obsidian there is ample clearance for engagement.

Is there anything I can with this before I contact Obsidian? I could file or cut the spring to shorten it but that seems like a poor idea since I just got it. Another thing I thought of is to run a gasket on the Obsidian adapter where it mates with the body of the suppressor in order to increase the clearance since then it should work.

The only other thing I can think of is that the Griffin 3-lug mount is out of spec. Seems unlikely but I guess it's possible.
    Last edited by gunf1ghter; 10-11-17 at 20:39.

Feedback Score
    You mean you are using a Griffin mount to attach a Rugged silencer?
    Does Rugged make a 3lug mount for their cans?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MontePR; 10-11-17 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MontePR View Post
    You mean you are using a Griffin mount to attach a Rugged silencer?
    Does Rugged make a 3lug mount for their cans?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
    No, I have a Rugged Obsidian with the Rugged 3 lug integrated host mount that you screw onto the suppressor in place of a piston, fixed spacer or fixed threaded adapter.

On the rifle barrel I have a Griffin 3-lug muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    Griffin Armement 3 lug barrel mounts are known to be oversized. I use Troy USA 3 lug barrel devices and my Obsidian Tri lug mount and griffin mounts work fine. I don’t know why there is a problem with the Griffin adapters but SilecerCo flatly says that they will not fit a SiCo tri lug mount.

Edit** The 3-lug barrel adapter is by TROSUSA not Troy USA. Sorry bout that. Here’s a link:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod45432.aspx

They are offered for sale all over the inter webs.
    Last edited by st381183; 10-13-17 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I called HK parts and they say that their 3 lug mounts are not made by griffin.

However, they acknowledged that they have had users have these issues who own the Rugged Obsidian this year and said there could be enough variation in the 3-lug adapter length to cause the issue.

They have offered to send another unit to me after I send mine back to test out and see if I have more success with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunf1ghter View Post
    I called HK parts and they say that their 3 lug mounts are not made by griffin.

However, they acknowledged that they have had users have these issues who own the Rugged Obsidian this year and said there could be enough variation in the 3-lug adapter length to cause the issue.

They have offered to send another unit to me after I send mine back to test out and see if I have more success with it.
    This is an old thread and hopefully you have sorted it out. But wanted to add that Tri Lug adapters (the parts that go onto your barrel) are not all made the same. As far as I can tell the ones from Hansohn Brothers have the 0.300" wide lugs that seem to fit the Silencer Co, Rugged, and Griffin Tri-Lug mounts (the part that goes into the suppressor).

But I was told by Resilient that their Tri-Lug mount for Bravo threaded suppressors would not accept the Hansohn Brothers adapter because the lugs are too wide. There is another tri-lug spec floating around where the lugs are like 0.250" wide or something like that. Resilient said they are producing a mount that can accept the 0.300"+ wide lugs later on.

The part of the tri-lug barrel adapter that slips into the mount insert should be 0.590" as most of the mount inserts have an ID of 0.593" (Rugged, Griffin) or 0.5945" (SiCo)

I found the Griffin tri-lug mount to be the most stable with the least slop/lateral wobble.