Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On DD, rails, and what does one need on an AR

Feedback Score
    I haven't found it to be an issue as long as the sights will zero. So the rail needs to be mounted up square with the receiver. I suppose there could be issues with the rail flexing under outside pressure in relation to barrel position, but it takes a fair bit of pressure to accomplish. I have seen video of the Geissele rails being very resistant to flexion issues.

The most durable set up is to have the front sight mounted to the barrel via pins. Makes rail installation tricky tough, and not nearly as many options that don't stop at the front sight. The RIS II and Centurion are the only ones that come to mind.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    DD makes excellent, very strong rails. BUT none of it is truly needed on a go to carbine. My understanding with rails, is quality is only really important when it comes to free floating, mounting sights, and mounting lasers or IR illuminators because you need that repeat ability to duplicate and keep a proper zero.

I do get overly hyped with looks though, and I love the look of the DD RIS rails, and the Geissele rails which I've heard are incredibly strong and well made. YMMV.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    On the DD/layoff thread there is a lot of discussion about their rails (which are excellent), and whether they are worth the cost. Factor into this, are they even needed? Some say a rail for "modularity" and widgets are a must-have, some argue they are not.

Then I saw a pic of cops in LV during the night of the shooting:

https://dallasnews.imgix.net/1506925...&q=60&fit=clip

Discuss.
    I'd say a bulk of people might put a AFG/VFG on a rail, and maybe a light but if you have a FSP you certainly don't "need" a rail. I personally think a plastic hand-guard makes a gun look cheap, but functionally it's not a requirement for me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wouldn't base my perception of needs on what some city cop has in his patrol car. I'd bet a case of 5.56 neither one of those rifles was very sighted in.

Jerry rigging a light onta plastic handguard is not as good as a proper rail and mount. Even if Magpul made all the plastic stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I wouldn't base my perception of needs on what some city cop has in his patrol car. I'd bet a case of 5.56 neither one of those rifles was very sighted in.

Jerry rigging a light onta plastic handguard is not as good as a proper rail and mount. Even if Magpul made all the plastic stuff.
    Hell I'd bet a case of 5.56 that the average city cop couldn't make "A" zone hits at 100 yards from a field/practical position if his patrol rifle was properly sighted in.

Almost zero chance that their carbine will actually be sighted in. More likely they stuck a bore sighter on moved the dot to coincide and called it good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Hell I'd bet a case of 5.56 that the average city cop couldn't make "A" zone hits at 100 yards from a field/practical position if his patrol rifle was properly sighted in.

Almost zero chance that their carbine will actually be sighted in. More likely they stuck a bore sighter on moved the dot to coincide and called it good.
    I literally saw a patrol rifle without a rear sight a few years ago. It belonged to the chief of a local department. They had just done a raid against an armed suspect. I offered to give him a DD rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Re: RIS mounted fixed front sight.

I had this setup for years on my go-to rifle. It is suboptimal in theory, because of the possibility of the rail rotating slightly or flexing under load. However, It worked well for me out to 300m. I used it without any optics, irons only, until about 2 years ago, when I mounted a 2-7x and offsets irons. Within the ranges that iron sights don't suck, a good rail with a front sight on it isn't a problem in my experience. Has to be a really solid one, though. Same gun has offset irons on it today that have been holding zero, also.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-12-17 at 20:20. Reason: I did not quote properly

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post

From a legal and risk management perspective, how can they allow this? When I was a paramedic, corpsman, tac medic on a SWAT team, I was required by policy to be proficient on everything I had to use. How can a cop be issued something without having been 'checked off' with regard to proficiency and functionality?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    From a legal and risk management perspective, how can they allow this? When I was a paramedic, corpsman, tac medic on a SWAT team, I was required by policy to be proficient on everything I had to use. How can a cop be issued something without having been 'checked off' with regard to proficiency and functionality?
    They are "checked off", problem is the standards are low.

Feedback Score
    I completely agree with the needs/wants and mission driving the choice. For me, heat is a huge factor.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast