Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR reliability. Riddle me this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From reading The Black Rifle and The Great Rifle Controversy I would say that the changes from ball powder, which reduced fouling and slowed the cyclic rate, as well as chroming the chamber and bore pretty much put the AR on equal footing with the AK.

Feedback Score
    http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t...ine-filthy-14/

Pat put several thousand more rounds through Filthy 14 after the article was written.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We should fight another war in Nam to see how it would work with KMRs and such!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Frankly, instead of an AK vs. AR thread I'd love to see an Aimpoint vs. ACOG thread where the users relate their authentic battlefield or law enforcement experiences.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Frankly, instead of an AK vs. AR thread I'd love to see an Aimpoint vs. ACOG thread where the users relate their authentic battlefield or law enforcement experiences.
    In my experience on the battlefield and LE, both are bombproof (somewhat literally) optics.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you would see a drastic improvement in performance. As long as you have lubricant a properly built AR/M16/M4 would probably realistically go the entire deployment without major cleaning just fine.

The problems with the M16 can be traced to 3 major issues. No chrome lining in the barrels, improper propellant, and lack of cleaning kits.

The uncleaned unlined bores would start to rust which would cause stuck casings. Then the wrong propellant would increase the bolt speed which would increase the chance of ripping the case head off. Not to mention other issues related to too high action speeds.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I didn't really want an AK vs. AR thread. It's those threads that got me thinking about how the current gun would fare in similar circumstances to the original.

Feedback Score
    The AR is far, far superior to the commie AK, in almost every way imaginable. Lube the damn thing and it will run.

And yes, I agree, we should fight another war against a commie country fielding the AK to more accurately determine the reliability and effectiveness of the modern Stoner design. I suggest arming our infantry as follows: 1) 25% with KAC 14.5 Sr-15s, 2) 25% with Colt 6920 14.5 SOCOMs, 3) 25% with PSA Premier 14.5-16 middy, and 4) 25% with BCM of some middy flavor.

I strongly suggest either another country in the ME, or perhaps change it up with an African war. Change is good for our troops' morale. God Bless America and modern day colonialism.
    Last edited by Feline; 10-12-17 at 13:44.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post

And yes, I agree, we should fight another war against a commie country fielding the AK to more accurately determine the reliability and effectiveness of the modern Stoner design. I suggest arming our infantry as follows: 1) 25% with KAC 14.5 Sr-15s, 2) 25% with Colt 6920 14.5 SOCOMs, 3) 25% with PSA Premier 14.5-16 middy, and 4) 25% with BCM of some middy flavor.

I strongly suggest either another country in the ME, or perhaps change it up with an African war. Change is good for our troops' morale. God Bless America and modern day colonialism.
    If McNamara was in charge again, this might go from an internet forum post to real-world exercise. I've read that soldiers tried to get their hands on CARs when they could if they were in the bush. At this point, I don't know what would convince skeptics that the M4 is just as battle-proven as the vaunted AK, other than to donate all of our surplus guns to 3rd world holes for them to use instead of AKs. You literally have to rig tests and criteria to make the M4 look in any way unreliable.

Would soldiers have fared better with the M4? Maybe from 63-66, but not from then on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    If McNamara was in charge again, this might go from an internet forum post to real-world exercise. I've read that soldiers tried to get their hands on CARs when they could if they were in the bush. At this point, I don't know what would convince skeptics that the M4 is just as battle-proven as the vaunted AK, other than to donate all of our surplus guns to 3rd world holes for them to use instead of AKs. You literally have to rig tests and criteria to make the M4 look in any way unreliable.

Would soldiers have fared better with the M4? Maybe from 63-66, but not from then on.
    Unfortunately from what I've read and the few episodes I've watched so far of The Vietnam War it wouldn't of made a difference in the final outcome. The people in charge running that war really fubar'd that one.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast