Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Mark Your Magazines?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How Do You Mark Your Magazines?

Specifically polymer such as Magpul, and GI too?

I want to number them and otherwise be able to easily identify what ammunition is loaded.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm using an automotive paint touch up pen, in a dark gray on black Magpul. Doesn't scream hey look at me, and I can still see it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rough up surface with brillo pad/steel wool/whatever. Apply Sharpie/Spray paint identification. Reapply as necessary.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sharpie
    Blue/black for fde
    Metallic silver for black

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post

I want to number them and otherwise be able to easily identify what ammunition is loaded.

I have gi, pmag, and lancers. So far the Lancers are the only ones that haven't given me any problems.

The only thing I do to mark my magazines are wrap some tape around them if I have a magazine related malfunction and those magazines are restricted for range use only.

When I do training where I bring my own magazines and my own personal firearms, I put a little bit of green spray paint on my magazines so that they don't get mixed up with other people's. I'll make a little stencil with masking tape so it's a nice clean green line across the magazines.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Strip of orange duct tape on the body to ID as mine in class, paint pen # on baseplate to ID individual mag in case of failure

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Sharpie

Smith - 81

Last name - # of magazine

I don't mark the mag as holding specific ammo, but if I load anything into a mag... it's ONLY the exact same round
    I look at the tip of the first round to know what I have the entire mag loaded with

Frangible, FMJ, Gold Dot, 7xgr boattail hollowpoint, etc.

once it wears out, feed lips open, doesn't feed reliably...

I add a giant "T" at the end of the above line to show it's now a TRAINING mag

though based on the above post... I might consider wrapping my mags in bright tape for classes.
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 10-12-17 at 13:20.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    When I have a (verified) mag problem I stick a round in it -backwards.
    It is then thrown in the range bag.

When I get home I determine if the issue is "fixable" (spring, new follower), repair and verify repair as good to go.
    If it's roached beyond repair I clean them up and give them to my competitors. (:
    Actually these mags become last ditch range mags and are suitably marked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post

Walmart paint marker (arts and crafts isle). Haven’t had them in the rain, but it seems to be relatively durable for normal use - handling, going in pouches, etc. So far it’s been resistant to humidity.

For the ammo markings, the above suggestion to stick a piece of tape on the mag then write on it is pretty good.

I label my initials & a number on my mags to help identify them as mine and keep track of any potential bad ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cl2 View Post
    Walmart paint marker (arts and crafts isle). Haven’t had them in the rain, but it seems to be relatively durable for normal use - handling, going in pouches, etc. So far it’s been resistant to humidity.

For the ammo markings, the above suggestion to stick a piece of tape on the mag then write on it is pretty good.

I label my initials & a number on my mags to help identify them as mine and keep track of any potential bad ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use Sharpie branded oil paint pens and they get washed out when wet rather easily.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast