Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Mark Your Magazines?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    To you guys with mag failures, and I’m not picking on anyone or trying to start a fight, what brands do you use and how do you know it is magazine related?

I have used (green and orange follower) Okay, NHTMG, Colt, and Magpul for a decade and never ever ever had a magazine fail or even wear out. In fact, and this is almost swear-worthy, I would say that I have gone at least 5 years without a single malfunction of any kind with a 5.56mm AR.

So it’s just surprising for me to see. That’s all.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    To you guys with mag failures, and I’m not picking on anyone or trying to start a fight, what brands do you use and how do you know it is magazine related?

I have used (green and orange follower) Okay, NHTMG, Colt, and Magpul for a decade and never ever ever had a magazine fail or even wear out. In fact, and this is almost swear-worthy, I would say that I have gone at least 5 years without a single malfunction of any kind with a 5.56mm AR.

I live in Colorado and I've actually had a few magpul gen m2 30 round magazines fail without much use, idk maybe it's the cold that got to them but I had a couple magpul polymer mags fail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masenomics View Post
    I live in Colorado and I've actually had a few magpul gen m2 30 round magazines fail without much use, idk maybe it's the cold that got to them but I had a couple magpul polymer mags fail.
    How did they fail? Specs of mags? (Age, color, approx. use, etc.)
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    How did they fail? Specs of mags? (Age, color, approx. use, etc.)
    They were all fde gen m2 from around 2010-11, I stippled a couple and they were dropped on concrete fully loaded in sub zero temps. so that might have something to do with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Plastic mags, Glocks or AR's, soldering iron and melt in my initials and number. Everything else I use a Marsh brand paint pen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masenomics View Post
    They were all fde gen m2 from around 2010-11, I stippled a couple and they were dropped on concrete fully loaded in sub zero temps. so that might have something to do with it.
    Ok, thanks. FDE mags are notorious for cracking, especially when dropped.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

I have a few early HK black mags that my unit tried out. These had a lot of (relatively) stoppages that were mag related. Heavy mag plus fairly malleable feed lips equals bent lips after dropping. I've also seen them do a wierd thing with stripper clips/little gray speeloaders, where two rounds will stack on the same side of the mag instead of staggering. You can catch it because the top round will be on the wrong side. It happens occasionally with other mags, also, but these did it somewhat often. You get a couple FTF's in the first couple rounds of a fresh mag, then if you pull it and take a look, the rounds have little or no tension pushing them up. Because of the two rounds stacked wierd, creating friction. If you drop it and it hits the ground, several (like maybe a dozen) rounds get ejected past the feed lips. I've only kept these mags because I believed they may have increased value one day.

Generally, I agree that good mags last, unless they get abused. But they are cheap enough to replace if there is any doubt. You have to realize, I developed my paranoia about mags in a time when it was routine for a junior Soldier to get issued mags that previous people had tried to turn in because they were eff'd. Units or individuals weren't buying brand new Magpuls or whatever on every deployment cycle, and leaders acted like mags had serial numbers or something, instead of treating them as consumable. Plus you got guys doing bounding drills and shit, mags in pouches in front of their body armor or LBE getting slammed in the dirt, repeatedly. Double feeds and crap like that used to be fairly common, and Joe would get a lecture about maintenance, followed by an attempt to DX, resulting in 7 more questionable mags, and his old ones get re-issued to another Private. So we started destroying them so they can't get re-issued.

And the AWB sucked, in part because there was none of this innovation that we have now, where companies are making better, more durable mags. A Soldier who was dissatisfied with his log support couldn't just save up for some PMags.

Nowadays, if you aren't lowcrawling and IMT'ing and shit, a regular gray mag with a Magpul follower will last a long time and treat you right. But I still mark my mags and reserve the right to smash them with hammers. Worn out Army mags are the reason people used to think M16's are unreliable, and yeah, I'm still pissy about it.

Feedback Score
    Blue paint pen for AR mags orange for 308 green for glock initials and mag number. Might use my Troy mags for 300 blackout one day when I start shooting that again.

Feedback Score
    Black Sharpie for USGI and paint pen for polymer.

ETA: I use blue masking tape to mark certain ammo in the mag, but this isn't common for me.
    Last edited by tehpwnag3; 10-13-17 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a number of magazines in the line up for regular training and when I new one goes in it gets my last initial and a number.
    If it becomes suspicious I simply throw it in the bucket I take to the range and inspect it when I get home. A white paint pen seems to work fine for anything I need to do.
    When I worked in the Arms Room I inspected magazines before and after every trip to the range and removed suspect magazines that were showing obvious damage. On the range I would separate them if someone had an issue and replace as necessary.
    Occasionally ordering one hundred at a time brought some resistance.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast