Thread: LAPD SIS and the Glock 30S

Feedback Score

LAPD SIS and the Glock 30S

From my reading it seems this gun was developed for SIS, any more info on this?

Also anyone in the know, know what Holster SIS carries this gun in?
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An SIS guy came up with the idea of a 36 slide on a 30 frame. Larry Ford, the Glock West Coast rep, got Glock to build a prototype (it's actually marked as a 36), which I've handled in person. Gun got tested a bit and then Glock corporate decided it was a good idea and turned it into reality.

SIS guys have a choice of guns and there are guys carrying 1911's, Glocks, and S&W's. Rusty Sherrick is known to make holsters for them, but they carry others as well. Again, personal preference.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info.

I’ll email Rusty and see if he’s made any 30s holsters for the SIS
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I’ll email Rusty and see if he’s made any 30s holsters for the SIS
    I suspect LAPD's SIS is similar choosing holsters as any other agency:
    -the department will have something free to issue.
    -if you prefer something different, feel free to buy it and use it, subject to any department approvals or specs.
    -assignment, in this case, plain clothes and tac-gear, depending on the operation, may dictate optional holsters as necessary.
    -Safariland has been big in the Law Enforcement field, which is mainly what I used for outside-the-waistband (OWB) style holsters, both uniform and plainclothes.
    -Inside the waistband holsters for me were a variety (I was usually carrying a full-size .40 or 9mm Glock (Glock 22gen2,3; Glock 17Gen4); for off-duty, anything I wanted to carry.

It's also my understanding SIS had some latitude in what an individual decided to carry and the G30S was one option. Some ex-LAPD SWAT officers, which may have transitioned to SIS, also got used to or liked the 1911 platform, too. I digressed, however, as you're primarily interested in the Glock 30S model.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do the 36 and the 30S use the same slide? My friend insists they do not, and showed me on the Glock website where they have different slide widths.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Do the 36 and the 30S use the same slide? My friend insists they do not, and showed me on the Glock website where they have different slide widths.
    The concept was to use the same slide as the 36. In reality Glock may have made some minute adjustments on the 30S slide for reliability. On paper the measurements may be different, but visually, you probably can't tell the difference.

TXPO
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I don't own a G30S and cannot personally measure a G30S slide. While I could measure my G30SF or G30Gen4 slides, I'm traveling and away from those particular guns right now.

I went to us.glock.com and reviewed the listed "width" data.
    The G30S is listed at 1.27" as is the G30, G30Gen4, and G30SF.
    The G36 is listed at 1.10".
    Glock's website has an illustration which has its red-colored width lines around just the slide. I believe this is the Glock-website not being precise. The 1.27" figure is likely derived from measuring the widest point of the frame, not just the slide which accounts for the misinterpretation.
    I can't see Glock making any slide dimensional changes, other than the roll-mark in making the G30S.

If somebody who has a caliper, G30(SF or Gen4), G30S, and a G36, who'll measure the slides, that'll be the most conclusive post to this.

ref. https://us.glock.com/products/all