Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: RMR presentation speed is faster than with iron sights v. The internet is wrong

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Welp, I just got done with a 1400 round, two day long Pistol 1 class and like I've been saying for a long time to anyone who asks (by long time I mean like a month lol) the RMR is the best thing ever.

Shooting on the move and making hits on on B-zone steel from 15ish (maybe 20 I'm not too sure) was super easy since all I had to do was squeeze the trigger when the dot was on the steel.

Hold overs are a thing with pistols too, even though it's really close to the bore I still needed to adjust slightly when I was at 3-10 yards. Not so much at 7-10 but still just a little.

Shooting at night is hard with a red dot, I can't even imagine how crappy it is with irons, especially when you're getting the 3 dots messed up and aligning the wrong ones in the wrong places. Also hand held lights are pretty garbage.

I also noticed that I was pretty quick and often among the first to have shots on target. Whether we were drawing from concealment or starting with the gun drawn. All I did was start squeezing the trigger once the dot was where I wanted it. The other guys in the class were of varying degrees of experience, but for myself and one other guy it was our first class ever. I shoot more than your average two or three box a year guys, but this was only the second or third time live firing from a holster.

The only trouble I ran into was when we shot a single round completely cold at 50 yards and my zero was not even really a thing. After I rezerod I feel much more confident.

My conclusions drawn from this experience are that I need to learn and practice with irons in case my dot goes down, but the advantage is undeniable and I have complete confidence in my abilities to make fast, good hits with a pistol in close and slightly extended distances
    Last edited by young_gun; 11-18-17 at 22:34.

Feedback Score
    My experience with RDS has been-
    On a carbine, time to target, splits, hits, etc. everything better than irons from day one.
    (In terms of basic combat shooting from in your face to 200m or so, slower shooting from 2 -500 working your sights for range, still an advantage with irons to a guy with decent eyes and a pro with adjusting his irons)

On a handgun,
    From day one splits, longer shots, etc. are faster.
    But the learning curve from draw to first shot lags for a while.
    Not that big a lag for an inexperienced shooter, or a shooting god.
    But for some reason, longer for the guys in the middle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    My experience with RDS has been-
    On a carbine, time to target, splits, hits, etc. everything better than irons from day one.
    (In terms of basic combat shooting from in your face to 200m or so, slower shooting from 2 -500 working your sights for range, still an advantage with irons to a guy with decent eyes and a pro with adjusting his irons)

On a handgun,
    From day one splits, longer shots, etc. are faster.
    But the learning curve from draw to first shot lags for a while.
    Not that big a lag for an inexperienced shooter, or a shooting god.
    But for some reason, longer for the guys in the middle.
    The learning curve is definitely a thing with pistols. The first time I took it to the range to get it zeroed I was pissed and I felt like I just wasted a ton of money. Fast forward about 2000 rounds and the dot is in the window 9 times out 10 when drawing from pretty much any position.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Find nearest USPSA match and shoot your RMR in carry optics division. Might give another prospective about making fast and accurate shots, and in a comparison with shooters who do practice with their iron sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Find nearest USPSA match and shoot your RMR in carry optics division. Might give another prospective about making fast and accurate shots, and in a comparison with shooters who do practice with their iron sights.
    That's on my list of things to do. It might not be a USPSA match but I'll certainly be shooting matches in 2018. I understand that I'm not the best shooter or even really above average. Just commenting on the ease of learning to do all of these cool guy things for a newer shooter.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I have nothing useful to add here. But my g19.5 slide is at atei with a rmr 2. And I am hoping I can mirror the thoughts of those with experience and really appreciate the dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Red dot on long rifles seems much faster. Red Dot on 22 non reciprocating slide is also fast and much more accurate. Still have not gotten used to the red dot on the reciprocating glock slide. Glock irons are faster right now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Using USPSA Carry Optics as a test bed, I find a Delta Point Pro significantly faster than a RMR — both to shot one and for follow up shots/transitions. The DP Pro display is larger and clearer, which I believe accounts for the difference. I have also found the RMR to be slightly more subject to fouling by rain.

In terms of raw speed, for Bill drills at 7 yards, and similar gross tasks, I find a FO equipped pistol slightly faster than the identical pistol with a DP Pro. We are talking pretty small differences — like my PR for a draw and three A zone shots at 7 yards is 1.01 with irons and 1.08 with the DP Pro.

I have returned two RMR units for repair and three DP Pro units, including one DP Pro just now, for the dot intermittently turning off and not waking up during matches. Given my ability to still shoot iron sights, neither the RMR nor DP Pro meets my requirements for carry. I believe Duracell 2032 batteries are the number one choice, as I have had premature failures with Sony and Energizer batteries in the DP Pro units.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    As far as I know, SME's like Hackathron, LAV, Proctor, McNamara, Langdon, Lamb don't use RMR's on their personal carry pistols, and I have to wonder why. It seems that most people if they train with them and if they give them a chance the RMR's do offer somewhat of advantage in speed. Evidently to them, there must be some things about them that they don't prefer over traditional iron sighted pistols
    Last edited by Biggy; 11-20-17 at 02:12.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I know when I was in my last Hackathorn class (~2 years ago) he was completely open to the idea of red dots on pistols. He said, however, that until someone shrank the Aimpoint down to a smaller package or the RMR types figured out how to deal with rain they were hobby only. I have zero idea if this has been addressed in the meantime.

I got turned off to them when my RMR on my FNX started fritizing out and the one on my friend’s did the same thing (which is funny because I told him his wasn’t mounted properly, needed to use proper torque settings, etc. Then about a week later bam!). I sent it back to Trijicon and they fixed it. By then I wasn’t interested and just put the thing on my VCOG on my Scar.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast