Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RMR presentation speed is faster than with iron sights v. The internet is wrong

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some guns need RMRs and some need good, honest irons.

Like I would, and will, RMR a G19 but my 34 is like an A2 Rifle.

That said, most shootings, statistically, are well within 7 yards.

And as Nate Forrest said, "First with the most wins".

An RDS is easier to pick up than a night sight and most are kinda fat with the front sight (not bad up close).

Plus I wish they'd stop putting tritium on rear sights. It is just distracting. I sharpie it anyways.

Like a duty gun should at least have NS if a dept is too cheap or uptight about weaponlights.

Pistols have been discounted and gone through a bit of a slump but it can be more versatile than a subgun in its niche.

I feel like sometimes people are trying to buy blingy spin rims instead of really good tires. And others yet need to learn how to drive.

Like if you CCW and need more than 15 rounds then you really need more friends with rifles.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    That said, most shootings, statistically, are well within 7 yards.
    Like if you CCW and need more than 15 rounds then you really need more friends with rifles.
    The odds of getting in a gun fight with your CCW are exponentially higher than getting in a gun fight at your house wearing your plate carrier and hot rod carbine.

I truly don't understand why the gun culture spends so much more time on the carbine and essentially treats the CCW like a magic rabbit's foot where as long as you have your pocket 9mm and maybe one spare mag you're ready for anything.

Feedback Score
    The need to use a gun is very slim, so now we want to hamstring ourselves? The purpose of the gun is for the statistical anomalies rather than eventualities. You're exponentially more likely to save yourself or others with medical training.

If we want to say we are only worried about the most likely, leave the gun home. You don't need it, statistically.

The problem is we don't know what we'll need when the time comes. Therefore, stack the odds on your favor with training, gear, and mindset. I never thought I'd pull my CCW, until one time when I didn't have it and reached for it. Then a few years later I had to draw it. Having 15+1, a 23 round reload, and an RDS by all means didn't somehow hurt me. Thank God I had it. Sometimes a reload is a good idea, not for round count, but failures. The magazine is the weakest link in most systems. Thank God I didn't have to discharge it, but it may have saved my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with you. What I'm saying is that I think the handgun is being left behind in favor of the carbine. Even on this forum a carbine is considered nearly worthless if it is irons only, but plastic Glock OEM sights are carried as CCW ready. That dichotomy does not make sense.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I agree with you. What I'm saying is that I think the handgun is being left behind in favor of the carbine. Even on this forum a carbine is considered nearly worthless if it is irons only, but plastic Glock OEM sights are carried as CCW ready. That dichotomy does not make sense.
    Where have you read any of this? A good quality carbine with irons only trumps a handgun any day of the week for most everything. BUT who carries a carbine on their person every single day, everywhere, that doesn't have a III'er neck tattoo and a Chris Costa Fleshlight?

OEM Glock sights are a no-go for carry, duty, or defensive use on this forum as well. I have no idea where you are reading this stuff man.

Also, guys train much more with their carry guns on here than they do carbines. From what I'm seeing at least.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is where I am going to go off the reservation a bit....

If you live on a ranch and the police will literally take an hour or longer to get to you then a solid AR would probably be good.

If you are in your bedroom and you hear the Fellas busting in then a rifle may put you at a bit of a deficit vis a vis a solid handgun.

Violence of action and quick maneuvering is better than clumsily fighting with a rifle in a hallway.

They are likely unarmored and will flee as soon as homie drops.

I have yet to see any of the Fellas want to stay and fight like they were a crack fireteam.

People cleared tunnels with Brownings and 1911s. A lot to great effect.

Any gun is better than no gun but I dont see the Fellas as being stay and play.

They will freak, shit themselves, bunch up like the 3 stooges at the door(making them easier to zap, mind you) and there it is.

The chinese lady in like Gwinnett(?) last year had 3 or 4 come in on her home camera and she came out with like a 1911 and got one as the others bee lined.

So...unless using a rifle is literally your damn job then 99% of it can be handled with a pistol and some extra mags and good ammo.

A rifle is more offensive than defensive.

Per CCW, yes you may have a bad encounter if wrong place wrong time so thats where holster to target is key.
    Hell even in policing you are gonna be hit on a traffic stop or walking up on it.

You can bust some heads at 50 easy with a pistol with just consistent practice. (figuratively, please dont try snap headshots at 50 yards(

The vibe may seem like most clamor for the rifle but a lot here support solid handgunnery. Esp. ensconced in a house.
    Last edited by Firefly; 10-18-17 at 16:08.

Feedback Score

RMR presentation speed is faster than with iron sights v. The internet is wrong

I personally train eight handgun sessions to one session with a carbine. The carbine skills aren't as perishable. I can't take the carbine out of my home. I think perhaps you're confusion stems from this being a carbine-centric page.

I wouldn't use OEM sights for anything. Aneriglo/D4 sights are like $40. If you can't afford that, you can't afford to train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ghostly; 10-18-17 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    I think the big difference is rmr on a handgun is difficult to pick up for newbs. You have to be fairly proficient to be able to see it on the draw (at least that’s the complaint I read).

An rds on a rifle - most people will be able to find the dot while presenting the rifle after like, 1 day of practice.

And fwiw, a rifle doesn’t have to be clumsy in the hallway - again, practice. If you don’t practice, you shouldn’t be clearing your house.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I think the big difference is rmr on a handgun is difficult to pick up for newbs. You have to be fairly proficient to be able to see it on the draw (at least that’s the complaint I read).

An rds on a rifle - most people will be able to find the dot while presenting the rifle after like, 1 day of practice.

And fwiw, a rifle doesn’t have to be clumsy in the hallway - again, practice. If you don’t practice, you shouldn’t be clearing your house.
    There may be a bit of a learning curve but a rifle is more stable in general than a handgun. But not always ideal for tight spaces. I am sure there are guys who train religiously for professional CQB with rifles and you can do it but for most a handgun might be better.

I think building fundamentals is worth it. Even in my own experience, I have cleared occupied houses with a handgun more than I ever did with a shotgun or a subgun(though I did that too). Actually the pistol was a bit handier. There's more to it but I think it is worth it for folks to train to use an RMR. Dot size matters. Plus maybe just the basic fundamentals.

Without getting tangential, here is an example of a woman with nominal training overwhelming her aggressors. A rifle may have slowed her down. A person can only do what that person can only do.

I think in lowlight, an RMR might have been a boon for this woman

Just food for thought. Everything is a building block.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Again not wanting to get tangential, but per that case, this video gives good insight into her mindset and her own admission of violence of action.

Again, an RMR could have made her more efficient with training

Again presentation speed, violence of action, and efficacy

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast