Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: RMR presentation speed is faster than with iron sights v. The internet is wrong

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    As far as I know, SME's like Hackathron, LAV, Proctor, McNamara, Langdon, Lamb don't use RMR's on their personal carry pistols, and I have to wonder why. It seems that most people if they train with them and if they give them a chance the RMR's do offer somewhat of advantage in speed. Evidently to them, there must be some things about them that they don't prefer over traditional iron sighted pistols
    Other SMEs do use them, however. For instance Steve Fisher, Jedi, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I know there are a lot of instructors. Lav included. Who sometimes will simply not run something that is a non main stream gun or product. Lav has said he loves the vp9 but uses Glock primarily because that is what the majority of his class runs. They also do not like to take the time to test something different. Frankly they can not afford to have something go down in class. I get it to a extent. Or they are a shill for certain brands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Other SMEs do use them, however. For instance Steve Fisher, Jedi, etc.
    Since when did Jedlinski become an SME? Being a decent shot and instructor alone doesn't make one an SME.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Since when did Jedlinski become an SME? Being a decent shot and instructor alone doesn't make one an SME.
    He is an SME on certainly RDS on pistols and mechanics.

Feedback Score
    He is an SME on certainly RDS on pistols and mechanics.
    I would strongly disagree with that assertion, but I suppose "SME" is a subjective thing. Still, AFAIK, most of his knowledge is derived from Fisher, he has no professional background related to firearms, and while a damn good CO shooter, that alone doesn't make one an SME in my book.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would strongly disagree with that assertion, but I suppose "SME" is a subjective thing. Still, AFAIK, most of his knowledge is derived from Fisher, he has no professional background related to firearms, and while a damn good CO shooter, that alone doesn't make one an SME in my book.
    Good competition shooters know their gear and shoot better than anyone else generally.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    What is Jedlinski's USPSA rank?

Edit: answer is M
    Last edited by hopetonbrown; 11-27-17 at 05:32.

Feedback Score

RMR presentation speed is faster than with iron sights v. The internet is wrong

“Professional background related to firearms”...what is that? Making money doing it? Jedi is apparently instructing some folks and having great success. Jedi can use an RDS-equipped handgun better than 99.99% of people alive and he can help you be better with one too. He knows the ins and outs of RDS-equipped handguns. If “expertise” doesn’t describe his knowledge in the field, I guess there isn’t an expert at much of anything.

A lot of guys think being a cop or military is “professional background”, which it is, but it doesn’t mean you know dick and it certainly doesn’t mean you’re either good with the gun or good at instructing others with a gun. I’ve done a little instructing and taught some people with a “professional background with a gun” that I was afraid they would shoot themselves or others on the range.

Last edited by ghostly; 11-27-17 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Good competition shooters know their gear and shoot better than anyone else generally.
    Define "good". Jedlinski is an M class in CO; does that mean every M and GM is now worthy of being called an SME? Most A class shooters destroy most of the top tier military and LE units when it comes to raw pistol shooting; can we also call A class SMEs? I know a fellow that was quite proud of his Federal LE unit's ability to almost universally run the FASTest under 10 seconds, and stated that this was the best out of all of the top American units, including the military SMUs, when looking at the average pistol performance in the units; does that make everyone that has earned a FAST pin or coin an SME? Etc.

“Professional background related to firearms”...what is that? Making money doing it? Jedi is apparently instructing some folks and having great success. Jedi can use an RDS-equipped handgun better than 99.99% of people alive and he can help you be better with one too. He knows the ins and outs of RDS-equipped handguns. If “expertise” doesn’t describe his knowledge in the field, I guess there isn’t an expert at much of anything.

A lot of guys think being a cop or military is “professional background”, which it is, but it doesn’t mean you know dick and it certainly doesn’t mean you’re either good with the gun or good at instructing others with a gun. I’ve done a little instructing and taught some people with a “professional background with a gun” that I was afraid they would shoot themselves or others on the range.
    The professional background is but a part of being an SME; being a former SMU unit member alone doesn't make one an SME, I would certainly agree with that... just like being a good competition shooter in itself does not make one an SME. I've heard Jedlinski speak about shooting with slide-mounted optics, and nothing he has said is new or revolutionary; more over, some of what he says is in direct contradiction to some of what Karl Rehn stated in his RDS report (http://blog.krtraining.com/red-dot-study-key-points/) and on his personal experience, and Rehn is an even more competent shooter, being a GM both in production (11th in the world, according to classifiers) and carry optics (1st in the world, according to classifiers), and is also the owner of KR Training, a far larger training enterprise than what Jedlinski runs.

Moreover, even if we did want to give Jedlinski the SME title based purely off of his competition abilities, how on Earth does that make his opinions on what to carry for self-defense applicable? Robbie Leatham, whom most of us would consider an SME in shooting without issue, doesn't "believe in magic bullets", and thus doesn't make an effort to carry modern duty/self-defense ammo, and is perfectly content with using ball ammo in his carry gun; is that a good idea? Jedlinski has a good balance for self-defense, given his hobbies in both shooting and BJJ, but that doesn't make him anywhere near an SME by my books. Is he a knowledgeable guy? Definitely. But merely being knowledgeable isn't enough to be called an SME, IMO.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 11-27-17 at 14:09.

Feedback Score

RMR presentation speed is faster than with iron sights v. The internet is wrong

Define "good". Jedlinski is an M class in CO; does that mean every M and GM is now worthy of being called an SME? Most A class shooters destroy most of the top tier military and LE units when it comes to raw pistol shooting; can we also call A class SMEs? I know a fellow that was quite proud of his Federal LE unit's ability to almost universally run the FASTest under 10 seconds, and stated that this was the best out of all of the top American units, including the military SMUs, when looking at the average pistol performance in the units; does that make everyone that has earned a FAST pin or coin an SME? Etc.

The professional background is but a part of being an SME; being a former SMU unit member alone doesn't make one an SME, I would certainly agree with that... just like being a good competition shooter in itself does not make one an SME. I've heard Jedlinski speak about shooting with slide-mounted optics, and nothing he has said is new or revolutionary; more over, some of what he says is in direct contradiction to some of what Karl Rehn stated in his RDS report (http://blog.krtraining.com/red-dot-study-key-points/) and on his personal experience, and Rehn is an even more competent shooter, being a GM both in production (11th in the world, according to classifiers) and carry optics (1st in the world, according to classifiers), and is also the owner of KR Training, a far larger training enterprise than what Jedlinski runs.

Moreover, even if we did want to give Jedlinski the SME title based purely off of his competition abilities, how on Earth does that make his opinions on what to carry for self-defense applicable? Robbie Leatham, whom most of us would consider an SME in shooting without issue, doesn't "believe in magic bullets", and thus doesn't make an effort to carry modern duty/self-defense ammo, and is perfectly content with using ball ammo in his carry gun; is that a good idea? Jedlinski has a good balance for self-defense, given his hobbies in both shooting and BJJ, but that doesn't make him anywhere near an SME by my books. Is he a knowledgeable guy? Definitely. But merely being knowledgeable isn't enough to be called an SME, IMO.
    I didn’t claim he was an SME on tactics. Being a secret squirrel high-speed delta shuttle door gunner does not make one an SME.

There are lots of fields with lots of SMEs. I think you’re interpreting what an SME is differently than I do. I take it for it’s literal definition, and device doesn’t qualify or disqualify one as an SME in something other than for their specific service.

Your distraction doesn’t have much to do with the topic at hand of performance with an RDS. Speaking of which, another is Aaron Cohen.

Last edited by ghostly; 11-27-17 at 14:23.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast