Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Question

Feedback Score

Question Trigger Question

I own 2 AR-15's; One I built myself with a BCM PNT trigger, and a Ruger AR-556. I had an AR STONER PTFE NICKEL plated trigger laying around. I bought some JP ENTERPRISE 3.5 lb. trigger springs and installed them onto the ARS trigger.
    The Rugers factory trigger pull was 7.75 lbs average after 5 pulls. I installed the ARS trigger with its springs and after 5 pulls the average weight was 5.25 lbs. Since adding the JP ENTERPRISE 3.5 lb springs, the trigger weight is 4.25 lbs after 5 pulls.
    My Q? is, being that I shoot about 98% WOLF steel case ammo, will I most likely have light primer strikes with the way my Ruger trigger is currently set up at 4.25 lbs? I have heard/read mixed responses about how any AR trigger pull weight below 5 lbs will have light primer strikes with steel case ammo. I'm sure there are experts here that most likely know for sure. Thank You.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your hammer spring has more affect on this than your trigger spring.

Have you messed with your hammer spring?

Have you tried it?

Not trying to be rude, but seems like this could easily be solved by heading down to your range.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry I can't say yes or no. FWIW, I have several AK's that have 3-4# trigger pulls that have never had a malfunction.
    I do not believe trigger pull weight is the same as the force of your hammer hitting the firing pin.

Only way to know is shoot it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Your hammer spring has more affect on this than your trigger spring.

Have you messed with your hammer spring?

Have you tried it?

Not trying to be rude, but seems like this could easily be solved by heading down to your range.
    I just installed it tonight. I am going to try it out tomorrow. I was just asking ahead of time just in case.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    I gave the JP springs a shot once. They definitely lighten things up, but proved to be unreliable. Out of the gate they seemed to work, but it didn't take long to start getting light primer strikes. Noticed it first with IMI. Had it happen with American Eagle, Independence, and PMC. Same probably would have happened with other brands of ammo, but I didn't bother trying. Pulled the JP springs and switched to a SD-3G.

As far as feel and pull, the JP springs were an excellent value. Just couldn't trust them. As Colt stated, the hammer spring is what will have the biggest impact on the adequacy of primer strikes. I'm assuming by saying, "springs", you bought the JP kit and installed both the hammer and trigger hardware. So, in my experience, you could run into issues. It's not a foregone conclusion. I'd just advise that you really run some rounds through it before calling it good as a defensive option. If it's just for plinking, then there's really nothing to lose. If they run, keep running them until they stop. Then decide on where you want to go from there.

In the event that you're wondering if you can just use only the JP trigger spring with a standard hammer spring; you can. However, the pull weight benefit one sees from the JP springs is largely tied to their hammer spring. So, just running their trigger spring probably won't feel all that different than what came with your rifle.

Give it a shot. Let us know how it turns out. Every rifle is different. They very well might work for you.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Many AR15 trigger makers sacrifice ignition reliability in order to achieve a light pull. That is until Wilson Combat came out with their TTU line of triggers.

IMO, WC makes the best AR15 triggers on the market...bar none.
    Last edited by Creature; 10-15-17 at 08:01.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    JP's doesn't recommend the reduced power kit for duty use or with nato spec ammunition. Translation- It ain't reliable! I also love the Wilson TR-TTU but it isn't fair to compare a $275 trigger to an $11 spring kit. IMHO, all a lighter spring can do is transform a shitty trigger with a heavy pull weight into a shitty trigger with a lighter pull weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    also love the Wilson TR-TTU but it isn't fair to compare a $275 trigger to an $11 spring kit.
    I gotta scratch my head and wonder how it is that people who hold reliability in such high regard when it comes to their AR15 and will spend the money on the barrel, the BCG and a whole slew of other reliability "enhancing' add-ons but won't spend money on a good, reliable and safe trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Many AR15 trigger makers sacrifice ignition reliability in order to achieve a light pull. That is until Wilson Combat came out with their TTU line of triggers.

IMO, WC makes the best AR15 triggers on the market...bar none.
    Haven't run a WC, and have no reason to believe they're not great triggers. But I'm pretty sure Bill Geissele may have preceded them in the ruggedly reliable, match-grade, full power trigger dept.

Start about the 2:15 mark.

For anyone new to ARs, or aftermarket triggers in particular, that's an excellent video. Then again, Bill is just an interesting guy in general.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    G triggers are well engineered
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast