Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
I think you missed my point. Genetics do play a part, but mostly I'm talking about people who have certain genetic/congenital issues such as Hypothyroidism, Seizures, MS, ALS, Cystic Fibrosis, Marfan's, Guillian Barre, Huntington's, Myasthenia Gravis, etc.
While that may be a smaller population, genetics do influence and restrict physical ability in some ways and you are misinformed if you think genetics does not play a part in the human body and how each person's body works.
And yes, those fat and sick people were around 50yrs ago; but you'd have to consider exponential population growth, pollution, and overall different society factors in 1967 vs today.
I’m not missing your point, I completely understand it. Someone with MS obviously can’t be held to the same standard as an otherwise healthy adult. I understand genetics is a thing and people with debilitating diseases exist, all I’m saying is that as a percentage, not many people have these legitimate debilitating diseases, yet use “genetics” as a cop out.

While your "standards" are achievable, as we agreed it takes years of dedicated physical conditioning and a higher level of training, which in turn takes much more motivation. Its doable, but should not be the minimum standard for being healthy and fit. Each person's body is different and have different strengths and weaknesses. A slim woman who does yoga or skinny triathlon man might not be able to bench their own BW 10x, or shoulder press their BW 10x, but it does not mean they are unfit. Do you see my point there?
Those standards are not the minimums for being considered fit. They are a general guidelines for someone to shoot for on their quest to getting better. You’re discussing sport specific training and specialization. These guidelines are general guidelines for a well rounded athlete, not a specialized athlete.

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with these standards???
Those standards are mostly picked from a guide that’s posted on the wall of my gym which outlines standards for beginner, intermediate, advanced and elite level athletes. Most of those standards are from the intermediate to advanced portion. Some of the “advanced” standards I felt were a little low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk