Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindset; less guns, less fat, more time in the gym.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    I think you missed my point. Genetics do play a part, but mostly I'm talking about people who have certain genetic/congenital issues such as Hypothyroidism, Seizures, MS, ALS, Cystic Fibrosis, Marfan's, Guillian Barre, Huntington's, Myasthenia Gravis, etc.
    While that may be a smaller population, genetics do influence and restrict physical ability in some ways and you are misinformed if you think genetics does not play a part in the human body and how each person's body works.
    And yes, those fat and sick people were around 50yrs ago; but you'd have to consider exponential population growth, pollution, and overall different society factors in 1967 vs today.
    I’m not missing your point, I completely understand it. Someone with MS obviously can’t be held to the same standard as an otherwise healthy adult. I understand genetics is a thing and people with debilitating diseases exist, all I’m saying is that as a percentage, not many people have these legitimate debilitating diseases, yet use “genetics” as a cop out.

While your "standards" are achievable, as we agreed it takes years of dedicated physical conditioning and a higher level of training, which in turn takes much more motivation. Its doable, but should not be the minimum standard for being healthy and fit. Each person's body is different and have different strengths and weaknesses. A slim woman who does yoga or skinny triathlon man might not be able to bench their own BW 10x, or shoulder press their BW 10x, but it does not mean they are unfit. Do you see my point there?
    Those standards are not the minimums for being considered fit. They are a general guidelines for someone to shoot for on their quest to getting better. You’re discussing sport specific training and specialization. These guidelines are general guidelines for a well rounded athlete, not a specialized athlete.

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with these standards???
    Those standards are mostly picked from a guide that’s posted on the wall of my gym which outlines standards for beginner, intermediate, advanced and elite level athletes. Most of those standards are from the intermediate to advanced portion. Some of the “advanced” standards I felt were a little low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Freaking GREAT Thread!! Great information - the thing I take away from this is that you need to do what is right for YOU! As a young Special Forces troop, I couldn't get "big", but I was an unstoppable distance monster - I could run or ruck forever. I could eat anything and as much as I wanted. Retired a couple of years ago and - as stated - the body is catching up to me. Almost 20 years on Jump Status and 36 years in have left me with some "owies" and "hurties". But, I'm just under 6', 180 pounds and doing well. Body fat is right about 13%. I can't run as I did and my body is breaking down so I have constantly been changing my workouts and patterns. For instance, doc was talking about putting me on BP meds and I called BS on that - told him to give me 90 days and I'd fix it. Went on a ketogenic diet and blood pressure bottomed out. Cannot get my diastolic out of the 70 range. That is excellent considering my lowest was 90 previously.

I am also spending more time stretching and trying to make the best use of what I have left. I want to stay off the meds for as long as possible. I have found that 75% of staying "fit" is what you put in your pie-hole. I have cut the sugars, cut the carbs, increased good fats and nuts and greens/veggies. I feel a WHOLE lot better; I am sleeping better; and I am able to get "more" done. I am working at controlling the inflammation response as I am becoming more and more convinced that this is all tied together. Insulin - hormones - inflammation response - health.

Yeah....you may NOT ber a pro-athlete but you CAN make the most of what you have NOW. Or, you can say "screw it" and reach for the next milkshake.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I had a bad reaction to this thread at first, but I've been thinking about it...You know what, I'll admit it, it's 100% correct. The average American is WAY more likely to meet his end as a result of a health problem than really any other way.

Despite my frustration at not having had much success in the past, it's not right to just say "f-it". Gotta keep going...Keep pushing to be a better person.

Anyway, despite my general distrust of medicine and my feeling that doctors don't really take complaints like this seriously, I'm going to start by figuring out why I'm tired all the time and then go from there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I had a bad reaction to this thread at first, but I've been thinking about it...You know what, I'll admit it, it's 100% correct. The average American is WAY more likely to meet his end as a result of a health problem than really any other way.

Despite my frustration at not having had much success in the past, it's not right to just say "f-it". Gotta keep going...Keep pushing to be a better person.

Anyway, despite my general distrust of medicine and my feeling that doctors don't really take complaints like this seriously, I'm going to start by figuring out why I'm tired all the time and then go from there.
    The best thing you can do is lots of your own research. It’s a slow and tedious process and can be discouraging in and of it self. If you don’t like your doctor, find another one. Many doctors are pretty out of touch with reality, so don’t be afraid to go find a good one. There are a lot of things that can effect your energy levels. I would get blood work done and go from there.

Off the top of my head, here are some things that can cause low energy:

- Poor diet
    - Poor sleep
    - Obesity
    - High Stress
    - Hypothyroidism
    - Low Testosterone
    - Pre Diabetes

Feedback Score
    Fit my whole life, working out was part of the job. When you are on a run or in the weight room with a bunch of Alpha males we pushed each other hard.
    Retired and stayed fit.

Then 2.5 years ago 2 motorcycle accidents and it was no working out for about 14 months. Then started working out and got hit by tendonitis in both arms. Battled that for 9 months.

Got fat for the first time ever.

Figured out how to manage the tendonitis and started working out again and now each correctly for me.

I have lost 17 pounds and need to drop another 14 and then will be back to my fighting weight.

NEVER GIVE UP!

You got issues find answers and get back in the fight.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Fit my whole life, working out was part of the job. When you are on a run or in the weight room with a bunch of Alpha males we pushed each other hard.
    Retired and stayed fit.

Then 2.5 years ago 2 motorcycle accidents and it was no working out for about 14 months. Then started working out and got hit by tendonitis in both arms. Battled that for 9 months.

Got fat for the first time ever.

Figured out how to manage the tendonitis and started working out again and now each correctly for me.

I have lost 17 pounds and need to drop another 14 and then will be back to my fighting weight.

NEVER GIVE UP!

You got issues find answers and get back in the fight.

I think tendinitis is common in people who used to be fit but became unfit (for whatever reason). I would say it’s mostly attributable to the fact that people who were fit at one point know what they were capable of and tend to get back into things too quickly. I had a similar issue last year.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I think tendinitis is common in people who used to be fit but became unfit (for whatever reason). I would say it’s mostly attributable to the fact that people who were fit at one point know what they were capable of and tend to get back into things too quickly. I had a similar issue last year.

I’m always in the process of getting rid of tendinitis. Having wrist the size of a 10 year old girl seems to be the reason. Lifting straps and wrist wraps have definitely helped.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm 56 years old with more spare parts than a farm truck - titanium rods, hips, screws and more scars than skin.
    This mornings stats:
    6'2" or 3" depending on which rebuilt leg I'm standing on.
    213.1 lbs at 10.8% body fat. Wife slobbers when I take off my shirt.
    I check my weight and BF every Monday and keep a log. I plan everything I eat. I plan every training session and track my progress on every lift.
    You won't change what you don't track. If you don't work to a standard you will never improve. If you don't do the work you will die before your time.

You are what you eat. LEARN what works for you and stick to it. For me it's lots of veggies, good quality fats and moderate protein. No junk food.
    90% of what I eat I cook myself. I travel 150 days a year and still manage to do it. Fresh veggies in a baggie with butter and 4 minutes in the microwave. Done.
    I quit alcohol years ago because ld. Made it a lot easier to keep up with everything, including my car and my sanity.

Fitness is my best survival tool because it supports my cognitive functions - Everything positive in my life is because I usually outthink my competition.

Simple does not mean easy. It is simple to know and hard to implement day in day out.
    Anyone can buy a sexy LMT and ACOG. Throw on the tight 5.11's and add night vision. Sit on you ass with potatoes chips and watch a LAV training CD.

My cranky old ass, with the mud covered 6920 hanging from the rope sling around my massive chest will leave you in the dust. Even after I had to add a heavy ass Aimpoint because again ld. It doesn't matter where you are - you can improve no matter where you fell on life's lottery.

But dang you all I'm not giving up my Copenhagen.
    “Beware unearned wisdom.” Jung

Feedback Score
    I am 70 and have been interested in guns for less than two years. But all my life I was an exercise junky. I played sports as a child and as a teenager paddled hundreds of miles on a surfboard. I won a frickin' trophy for physical fitness in high school, played some sports and some in college. Throughout this time I did weights. So at 5'9" I did 265 pound squats and deads for reps. I did a 245 bench and 6 reps at 225, three sets. I pressed my own weight on an Olympic bar. Then I would run 6 miles on my off day or maybe an 8 minute mile around the neighborhood. Not that any of this is freakish or better than what you do, I am only establishing credentials to talk. I did this sort of thing until I was 55.

Here is what happened to me. I HAVE FRICKIN' ARTHRITIS all over my body. Next month i go in for a hip replacement. Talk about shooting? My first reaction was a front post to take the pressure off my arthritic shoulder. I wore my body out. I am not the first. Neanderthals lived such a hard life, their bodies wore out in the same way at 45.

And I'm still doing it. Now I have a 12 pound maul which I hit a stump with as fast as I can raise and lower the maul 50 times with the right hand (like a right handed batter), rest, and 50 times with the left. This is a great workout at 6500 ft. But this is about the only thing i can do which is function-related (I cut and split wood for heating).

Don't inflict this kind of injury to your body. There are plenty of ways to do physical work and turn it into exercise in your daily life if you live or spend much time outdoors. Just cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking and carrying wood into the house is an example. Construction workers know what I am talking about all too well. If you do the repetitive resistance type of training over the years without varying it, you will end up like me.

For shooting, look at what the military does. They don't lift weights. They mix things up along with shooting training, pushups, pullups, running, walking with a pack--uphill and so on. They know what they are doing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I am 70 and have been interested in guns for less than two years. But all my life I was an exercise junky. I played sports as a child and as a teenager paddled hundreds of miles on a surfboard. I won a frickin' trophy for physical fitness in high school, played some sports and some in college. Throughout this time I did weights. So at 5'9" I did 265 pound squats and deads for reps. I did a 245 bench and 6 reps at 225, three sets. I pressed my own weight on an Olympic bar. Then I would run 6 miles on my off day or maybe an 8 minute mile around the neighborhood. Not that any of this is freakish or better than what you do, I am only establishing credentials to talk. I did this sort of thing until I was 55.

Here is what happened to me. I HAVE FRICKIN' ARTHRITIS all over my body. Next month i go in for a hip replacement. Talk about shooting? My first reaction was a front post to take the pressure off my arthritic shoulder. I wore my body out. I am not the first. Neanderthals lived such a hard life, their bodies wore out in the same way at 45.

And I'm still doing it. Now I have a 12 pound maul which I hit a stump with as fast as I can raise and lower the maul 50 times with the right hand (like a right handed batter), rest, and 50 times with the left. This is a great workout at 6500 ft. But this is about the only thing i can do which is function-related (I cut and split wood for heating).

Don't inflict this kind of injury to your body. There are plenty of ways to do physical work and turn it into exercise in your daily life if you live or spend much time outdoors. Just cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking and carrying wood into the house is an example. Construction workers know what I am talking about all too well. If you do the repetitive resistance type of training over the years without varying it, you will end up like me.

For shooting, look at what the military does. They don't lift weights. They mix things up along with shooting training, pushups, pullups, running, walking with a pack--uphill and so on. They know what they are doing.
    The military could stand to lift some more weights. They have a culture of stringy, overly lean 'runner' types, and the results show when you look at jump qualified personnel. They are almost all ruined for life. It's only a subjective guess, but I'm sure less paratroopers would have chronic leg injuries if they focused more on building a set of legs worthy of an Olympic speed skater rather than running so much.

I don't think the answer is to not lift. I think the answer is something else you touched on - variation. Doing the same movements over and over, and consistently overloading them, without ever changing up the intensity, volume, frequency, or exercise variation, is bound to lead to overuse injuries. This is something that strength athletes have caught onto as well.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast