Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Mindset; less guns, less fat, more time in the gym.

Feedback Score
    From Aaron Barruga today, quite in line with our topic here:

1. GRAVITATE TOWARDS YOUR WEAKNESSES.

The greatest display of heart this year was at our tactical marksmanship courses. These classes place a large emphasis on athleticism with a firearm, which results in a lot of sprinting on the range.

For some shooters, this is a departure from their routine of static marksmanship exercises. For others, they’re pushed completely outside of their comfort zone because they’ve neglected the physical fitness aspects of being a tactical professional. Midway through each course is when the quitters start making excuses. “Hey, my hamstring is bothering me.” Or, “…I had surgery on this knee a few years ago.”

There is a difference between legitimate pain—which attempting to push through encourages injury—and the self-busing of ego when perceived abilities are not matched by actual performance in training. Typically, the shooter with the most trinkets on his gun and the most unnecessary gear on his kit is the first to make excuses. Their lack of heart is not because they lack coordination or physical ability. It is because these individuals are conditioned to invest in things, not themselves.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the shooter that lacks any natural athletic ability and is flat out overweight. Watching these individuals push through discomfort to achieve heightened levels of performance is truly inspiring.

You cannot buy a gadget to improve your resilience. There is no trinket that teaches you how to handle failure. All of this comes from within, and is often free of charge.
    https://guerrillaapproach.com/the-fi...ssons-of-2017/

The four other lessons are also great, I encourage everyone to give Aaron Barruga a click and read his stuff.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link Joffe, definitely a good read
    "We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" - Sir Carton de Wiert, VC

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    From Aaron Barruga today, quite in line with our topic here:

https://guerrillaapproach.com/the-fi...ssons-of-2017/

The four other lessons are also great, I encourage everyone to give Aaron Barruga a click and read his stuff.
    “It is because these individuals are conditioned to invest in things, not themselves.”

A-freaking-men.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtI...hEkwLqCcnSrwpA

A good youtube channel (NSCA) for those interested in strength and conditioning
    Last edited by J-Dub; 01-01-18 at 12:38.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Strict OHP with your own body weight is far above what I would call a minimum standard. It is WAY out of line with "squat your body weight 10x".

Or maybe I'm just weak in that dept?

Based on the strength charts though...that is considered Advanced level.
    https://strengthlevel.com/strength-s...shoulder-press

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Based on my lifts those standards look reasonable. I'm 150lb and am right at advanced on everything.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Based on my lifts those standards look reasonable. I'm 150lb and am right at advanced on everything.
    Leverages matter, too, though. I don't think that can be ignored. If you're 150# and 6' tall, then you're moving that weight a LONG ways on your reps. If you're 150# and 5'6", then you're not doing nearly the work. That's t he trouble with "standards".

Standards...for what?

Train for the mission.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Relative to each respective body the 5'6" and 6' guy are moving the weight the same distance for the lift.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    OP- I think you are dead on. There is really not much else to say after that.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Relative to each respective body the 5'6" and 6' guy are moving the weight the same distance for the lift.
    Right, but if you move 315# 16" vs 20", for a set of 10 squats, the guy with the larger Rom did 25% more work, at the same body weight...

I'm just curious who here truly meets the "minimum" for a strict ohp of their body weight. My guess is not most.
    Last edited by WS6; 01-13-18 at 20:09.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast