Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindset; less guns, less fat, more time in the gym.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Shooting's a hobby for me; but trying to stay healthy and exercising is part of my chosen lifestyle.
    This.

I'm NOTHING like I was years ago in my S.W.A.T. days, but even at 50-something now, I can still smoke the average 25 year old LEO on the PT-obstacle course.

The data is still rolling in... Americans are getting fatter and even fatter. Even with this being a known issue, the course is not reversing. Normal weight people have become the minority. Short of a debilitating injury, I refuse to let myself get soft. If I get hurt and can't work out anymore, I can still eat right. This thread is a good reminder for me. I should probably spend more time in this section of M4C.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    This.

I'm NOTHING like I was years ago in my S.W.A.T. days, but even at 50-something now, I can still smoke the average 25 year old LEO on the PT-obstacle course.

The data is still rolling in... Americans are getting fatter and even fatter. Even with this being a known issue, the course is not reversing. Normal weight people have become the minority. Short of a debilitating injury, I refuse to let myself get soft. If I get hurt and can't work out anymore, I can still eat right. This thread is a good reminder for me. I should probably spend more time in this section of M4C.
    I believe the problem is exasperated by our busy life styles and easy access to low quality, fattening foods. Everywhere you look now days there’s cheap, abundant junk food. Nobody cooks at home anymore and when they do, it’s usually out of a box, not with fresh unprocessed ingredients.

It’s really simple, we’re getting fat and developing all sorts of health problems because of three things... poor diet, excessively busy lifestyles and lack of exercise. All three of those things are intertwined.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This.

I believe the problem is exasperated by our busy life styles and easy access to low quality, fattening foods. Everywhere you look now days there’s cheap, abundant junk food. Nobody cooks at home anymore and when they do, it’s usually out of a box, not with fresh unprocessed ingredients.

It’s really simple, we’re getting fat and developing all sorts of health problems because of three things... poor diet, excessively busy lifestyles and lack of exercise. All three of those things are intertwined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Well this thread sure seems like a winner.

It’s almost like the same people who like to debate the best lube for 45 pages are the same people who stay out of the gym and eat Taco Bell every day!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Well this thread sure seems like a winner.

It’s almost like the same people who like to debate the best lube for 45 pages are the same people who stay out of the gym and eat Taco Bell every day!

This is my surprised face.

Feedback Score
    This is not directed at Mr. Goodtimes. I am making a general observation abut the state of our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    B.S.. Life is all about choices.

I moved out on my own when I was 17, never had anything handed to me and have steadily worked my arse off for the last 35 years. Sometimes I even worked three jobs to make things work and pay for the schooling that I needed to get me where I am now. Since the age of 22, I've ALWAYS tried to eat decently, and have forced myself to work out and keep myself in good shape. For several years, I did this living paycheck to paycheck, barely.

Disclaimer: This next statement does not apply to people that are disabled and are unable to do exercise:

IMHO, in the last 20 years, Americans have switched mindsets from "fit is it" to "fat is where it's at".

Americans are fat because they are OK with being fat. Being fat is the new norm. Excuses, excuses... Yes, sitting is the new smoking. I guess I'm F-ked then... I sat in a patrol car for years, then made detective and sat behind a desk for years... Now I'm a wide-body airline pilot and SIT in an airplane 6-12 hours at a time, 12-14 days a month, and am stuck in hotels for the same amount of time...

Whether it was on patrol or behind a desk as a cop, to now being in airports and/or hotels half of my life, the ability to eat right is there, you just have to work at it. Sometimes you have to improvise. This might mean bringing food with you. This means getting out of the chair and stretching once an hour. One must get off of their fat butt and do at least some type of exercise. One does not need to go to a gym and turn into a meathead... For gosh sakes people, at least go walk a mile or two after dinner a few nights a week. DO SOMETHING!

I've heard ALL of the excuses. Being injured/disabled is the ONLY excuse that I can come up with that's valid. Even if you are injured, you can still eat right. Unless you are a quadriplegic, you can still do some type of exercise. Even if you have four toddlers in the house and are severely time constrained, you are of no use to them in a SHTF (could just be a house fire), if you can't get your fat arses up and down the stairs a few times under severe stress while carrying a load... If your house catches on fire, is your fat arse going to be able to do what it takes to get your family out? What if you have to climb out a second story window with a child or a pet???

Life is all about choices... If you are overweight, more than likely, it is because you chose to be. If that is the case, that's fine, just stop making excuses. Embrace your fatness.

None of us are going to live forever. Genetics will still play a part. I could still keel over from a massive stroke or heart failure at 60, but I'm doing everything that I can to mitigate that. By being in shape, in the meantime, I can pertty much go out and to just about anything that I have time to do. I'm not stuck in a recliner watching stupid gladiator games on ESPN..

Get off of your buns and get out there... [/off rant]

Again, just an observation and not directed at Mr. Goodtimes. I'm just replying to a point he brought up.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I will end with what I feel (in my humble opinion) are some very basic minimum standards people should be able to meet:

- Back Squat your own body weight for 10 reps.
    - Deadlift 1.5x your body weight for 10 reps.
    - Overhead Press your body weight
    - Bench Press your body weight for 10 reps.
    - 10 pull-ups (unbroken)
    - 50 push-ups (unbroken)
    - 50 Kettlebell Swings w/ 53lb kettlebell (unbroken)
    - Run 1 mile in street clothes in 7:00 without going into SVT.
    - Row a 5k in under 20:00 without going into SVT.
    - Be able to walk 10 miles with your “bug out bag” in your “bug out” gear.

While you made some good points, those above are not always feasable for everyone depending on their genetics, past history of injury, or just overall physical ability/disability.

Now it is always good to be in the best shape you can be, but it doesn't always happen for everyone (whatever the reason/excuse may be). Frankly, Your "minimum standards" are quite high IMO. For example, doing 10 real pull-ups, or overhead pressing your own weight, or running sub-7min mile are difficult unless you have trained continuously and stay in good shape all the time. Although I can do 12 pull-ups and 50 push-ups, it was not easy getting to that point and took decades of continuous exercise routine. I bet only 1 out of 20 people can crank out 10 pull-ups or 50 push-ups.

Another thing to consider is injury. People get injured in many ways: car accidents, sport injuries, skiing, etc. I used to be able to run sub-7min miles and do 5k runs a few years ago, but I injured both my ankles playing basketball so I cannot run continuously anymore. I also have shoulder pain from years of playing college basketball so I cannot shoulder press my weight (180lbs, which is actually quite heavy for anyone not seriously into weight lifting).

Basically the standards you put are for people who are very fit (maybe Cross-fitters, active duty soldiers, athletes, or body builders) and are free from injury or disease. Just giving my 2cents coming from a long history of weight lifting, playing basketball, and running for decades until I got old (and injured unfortunately). Your standards just seem very high and not realistic for everyone unless a person is injury free and into a very rigorous exercise routine.

But I do agree that America as a whole has a health/obesity problem which is caused by terrible lifestyle choices and overall unhealthy culture of fast food, tv, internet, video games, etc.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 10-22-17 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    While you made some good points, those above are not always feasable for everyone depending on their genetics, past history of injury, or just overall physical ability/disability.

Now it is always good to be in the best shape you can be, but it doesn't always happen for everyone (whatever the reason/excuse may be). Frankly, Your "minimum standards" are quite high IMO. For example, doing 10 real pull-ups, or overhead pressing your own weight, or running sub-7min mile are difficult unless you have trained continuously and stay in good shape all the time. Although I can do 12 pull-ups and 50 push-ups, it was not easy getting to that point and took decades of continuous exercise routine. I bet only 1 out of 20 people can crank out 10 pull-ups or 50 push-ups.

Another thing to consider is injury. People get injured in many ways: car accidents, sport injuries, skiing, etc. I used to be able to run sub-7min miles and do 5k runs a few years ago, but I injured both my ankles playing basketball so I cannot run continuously anymore. I also have shoulder pain from years of playing college basketball so I cannot shoulder press my weight (180lbs, which is actually quite heavy for anyone not seriously into weight lifting).

Basically the standards you put are for people who are very fit (maybe Cross-fitters, active duty soldiers, athletes, or body builders) and are free from injury or disease. Just giving my 2cents coming from a long history of weight lifting, playing basketball, and running for decades until I got old (and injured unfortunately). Your standards just seem very high and not realistic for everyone unless a person is injury free and into a very rigorous exercise routine.

But I do agree that America as a whole has a health/obesity problem which is caused by terrible lifestyle choices and overall unhealthy culture of fast food, tv, internet, video games, etc.
    Very, very, and I mean very few people actually fall into the categories of too damaged, too physically impaired or have something so wrong with their genetics that’s causing them to be fat and lazy, “bad genetics” are an easy cop out for most people to take the lazy way out. I hear so many people complain “well I’m not stronger” or “I’m not fitter” because “I have bad genetics.” No, you don’t have bad genetics... maybe you have as good of genetics as say... Rich Froning but you don’t have bad genetics. You’re weak and dumpy because you lack discipline.

The above standards are not impossible to achieve. Those standards, while maybe higher than normal, are standards that any non physically disabled adult should be able to achieve with some dedicated physical training.

One thing to consider is that the reason most people are sick is by their own lifestyle and poor choices. Get rid of the poor lifestyle and poor choices and your poor health goes away.

The genetics argument largely holds no precedent. Where were all these fat, sick people 50 years ago? Did an already highly developed species that has been around for 200,000 years really just suddenly change in 50 years? No.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is not directed at Mr. Goodtimes. I am making a general observation abut the state of our country.

B.S.. Life is all about choices.

I moved out on my own when I was 17, never had anything handed to me and have steadily worked my arse off for the last 35 years. Sometimes I even worked three jobs to make things work and pay for the schooling that I needed to get me where I am now. Since the age of 22, I've ALWAYS tried to eat decently, and have forced myself to work out and keep myself in good shape. For several years, I did this living paycheck to paycheck, barely.

Disclaimer: This next statement does not apply to people that are disabled and are unable to do exercise:

IMHO, in the last 20 years, Americans have switched mindsets from "fit is it" to "fat is where it's at".

Americans are fat because they are OK with being fat. Being fat is the new norm. Excuses, excuses... Yes, sitting is the new smoking. I guess I'm F-ked then... I sat in a patrol car for years, then made detective and sat behind a desk for years... Now I'm a wide-body airline pilot and SIT in an airplane 6-12 hours at a time, 12-14 days a month, and am stuck in hotels for the same amount of time...

Whether it was on patrol or behind a desk as a cop, to now being in airports and/or hotels half of my life, the ability to eat right is there, you just have to work at it. Sometimes you have to improvise. This might mean bringing food with you. This means getting out of the chair and stretching once an hour. One must get off of their fat butt and do at least some type of exercise. One does not need to go to a gym and turn into a meathead... For gosh sakes people, at least go walk a mile or two after dinner a few nights a week. DO SOMETHING!

I've heard ALL of the excuses. Being injured/disabled is the ONLY excuse that I can come up with that's valid. Even if you are injured, you can still eat right. Unless you are a quadriplegic, you can still do some type of exercise. Even if you have four toddlers in the house and are severely time constrained, you are of no use to them in a SHTF (could just be a house fire), if you can't get your fat arses up and down the stairs a few times under severe stress while carrying a load... If your house catches on fire, is your fat arse going to be able to do what it takes to get your family out? What if you have to climb out a second story window with a child or a pet???

Life is all about choices... If you are overweight, more than likely, it is because you chose to be. If that is the case, that's fine, just stop making excuses. Embrace your fatness.

None of us are going to live forever. Genetics will still play a part. I could still keel over from a massive stroke or heart failure at 60, but I'm doing everything that I can to mitigate that. By being in shape, in the meantime, I can pertty much go out and to just about anything that I have time to do. I'm not stuck in a recliner watching stupid gladiator games on ESPN..

Get off of your buns and get out there... [/off rant]

Again, just an observation and not directed at Mr. Goodtimes. I'm just replying to a point he brought up.
    Det Sog, you’re absolutely spot on, and let me make it clear, I’m not making excuses for people. I’m simply stating the general problem. Obviously poor choices are the ultimate deciding factor, however, it seems like now days those poor choices are made easier by our lifestyles.

Ultimately, yes, absolutely it’s individual decisions. I’m in my late twenties and I’ve been “too busy” to workout most of my adult life, yet somehow I manage to find time to eat right and not just follow a workout program, but a very advanced one. I’m a career firefighter, full time paramedic student and owner/operator of a tree care company. If I can find time, literally anyone can. It’s time management and discipline , that’s it.

Props to you for staying fit man. My father is a commercial pilot and that lifestyle is brutal for staying in good shape. Being in a different town/state/country every night, working long days with early show times, having to always stay in a bite and eat out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very, very, and I mean very few people actually fall into the categories of too damaged, too physically impaired or have something so wrong with their genetics that’s causing them to be fat and lazy, “bad genetics” are an easy cop out for most people to take the lazy way out. I hear so many people complain “well I’m not stronger” or “I’m not fitter” because “I have bad genetics.” No, you don’t have bad genetics... maybe you have as good of genetics as say... Rich Froning but you don’t have bad genetics. You’re weak and dumpy because you lack discipline.

The above standards are not impossible to achieve. Those standards, while maybe higher than normal, are standards that any non physically disabled adult should be able to achieve with some dedicated physical training.

One thing to consider is that the reason most people are sick is by their own lifestyle and poor choices. Get rid of the poor lifestyle and poor choices and your poor health goes away.

The genetics argument largely holds no precedent. Where were all these fat, sick people 50 years ago? Did an already highly developed species that has been around for 200,000 years really just suddenly change in 50 years? No.

I think you missed my point. Genetics do play a part, but mostly I'm talking about people who have certain genetic/congenital issues such as Hypothyroidism, Seizures, MS, ALS, Cystic Fibrosis, Marfan's, Guillian Barre, Huntington's, Myasthenia Gravis, etc.
    While that may be a smaller population, genetics do influence and restrict physical ability in some ways and you are misinformed if you think genetics does not play a part in the human body and how each person's body works.
    And yes, those fat and sick people were around 50yrs ago; but you'd have to consider exponential population growth, pollution, and overall different society factors in 1967 vs today.

While your "standards" are achievable, as we agreed it takes years of dedicated physical conditioning and a higher level of training, which in turn takes much more motivation. Its doable, but should not be the minimum standard for being healthy and fit. Each person's body is different and have different strengths and weaknesses. A slim woman who does yoga or skinny triathlon man might not be able to bench their own BW 10x, or shoulder press their BW 10x, but it does not mean they are unfit. Do you see my point there?

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with these standards???

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast