Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindset; less guns, less fat, more time in the gym.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    The military could stand to lift some more weights. They have a culture of stringy, overly lean 'runner' types, and the results show when you look at jump qualified personnel. They are almost all ruined for life. It's only a subjective guess, but I'm sure less paratroopers would have chronic leg injuries if they focused more on building a set of legs worthy of an Olympic speed skater rather than running so much.

I don't think the answer is to not lift. I think the answer is something else you touched on - variation. Doing the same movements over and over, and consistently overloading them, without ever changing up the intensity, volume, frequency, or exercise variation, is bound to lead to overuse injuries. This is something that strength athletes have caught onto as well.
    Although individuals certainly can (lift) it is impractical to suggest that the military take on a lifting regimen. They have slowly turned away the "runner's physique"-type workout to functional fitness, which has resulted in fewer injuries and more endurance.

The problem with airborne and any of the heavy-lift guys isn't that they are deconditioned or lack the proper workout; the problem is when you ask a guy to day-after-day to carry 2x body weight, it will break you down, regardless of how 'in shape' you are.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Outta my lane
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 10-26-17 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    But spend much time around US Army paratrooper units, you won't see that many gazelles.
    What.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    What.
    Fair catch, and I should have been more specific: My observation on that is due solely due to proximity/visibility/interaction with the officer pipeline headed to Paratrooper units and experience sharing of multiple officers after arrival at their units. And that of a few senior career officers who have been in and out of Airborne units for decades. And may reflect more officer mindset than enlisted.

And to be crystal clear, I am not a paratrooper nor have ever been.

Remaining comments on bulk vs gazelle trends deleted as outta my lane
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 10-26-17 at 19:14.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Outta my lane
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 10-26-17 at 19:10.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just completed what I call the, “Gimme a minute.” Workout, because that’s all anyone says when they do it with me:

5 minutes rowing at maximum resistance, keeping a 2:30/500m minimum pace the entire time.
    25 36kg Kettlebell Swings
    1/4 mile run.

Tonight I did 4 sets in 35min 47sec,

In college I would do 8 sets in 1:05. My main problem is walking over to the treadmill and having it spin up. In college there was a track so I could just run.

Try it out! Post your times! It’s a great workout.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Although individuals certainly can (lift) it is impractical to suggest that the military take on a lifting regimen. They have slowly turned away the "runner's physique"-type workout to functional fitness, which has resulted in fewer injuries and more endurance.
    I have posted a ton on that topic here over the years. My general thoughts on "tactical athletes" as found on EliteFTS. My other stuff published in LE publications (Police Magazine, etc) was Tac LE specific.

https://www.elitefts.com/education/t...ical-athletes/

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    The problem with airborne and any of the heavy-lift guys isn't that they are deconditioned or lack the proper workout; the problem is when you ask a guy to day-after-day to carry 2x body weight, it will break you down, regardless of how 'in shape' you are.
    There's a diminishing return to body mass and strength for mil, but it's also well established that those who can carry a wounded person, ammo, and the M240 who don't perform well, get crapped on in standard testing, which (finally) seems to be heading toward more "job specific" testing. It seems the Marines are ahead of the curve on this. Per link above:

Marine Corp. developing the Combat Fitness Test (CFT); Marines must pass in addition to the standard Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test (PFT). The Marine Corp. Times states:

“Unlike the familiar Physical Fitness Test, the Corps’ new Combat Fitness Test is designed to assess Marines’ physical strength, endurance and agility where it really counts: in battle.”
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I have posted a ton on that topic here over the years. My general thoughts on "tactical athletes" as found on EliteFTS. My other stuff published in LE publications (Police Magazine, etc) was Tac LE specific.

https://www.elitefts.com/education/t...ical-athletes/

There's a diminishing return to body mass and strength for mil, but it's also well established that those who can carry a wounded person, ammo, and the M240 who don't perform well, get crapped on in standard testing, which (finally) seems to be heading toward more "job specific" testing. It seems the Marines are ahead of the curve on this. Per link above:

Marine Corp. developing the Combat Fitness Test (CFT); Marines must pass in addition to the standard Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test (PFT). The Marine Corp. Times states:

“Unlike the familiar Physical Fitness Test, the Corps’ new Combat Fitness Test is designed to assess Marines’ physical strength, endurance and agility where it really counts: in battle.”
    That's good stuff. I have read it before

The Corps started their CFT after I got out; before I got out, units were doing a similar type of thing for unit PT to augment overall strength and conditioning. What was interesting (and totally anecdotal) was when we PT'd to the PFT standards (running, pull-ups, sit-ups), those score got a little better for most guys. When we did the CFT-type exercise, almost everyone's PFT scores improved across the board.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    This is a good thread. I had a couple questions I wanted to ask out of curiosity.

How many days a week are you guys putting into running? Whether long distance, or high intensity sprints. I understand that weight lifting exercise is important, but I've always prioritized running in my exercise.

My workout schedule has been more or less the following:

Monday - 5 to 7 mile run

Tuesday - Body weight exercises. I change these up, but one example would be: plank for 10 minutes, legs held straight with knees locked 6 inches above ground for 10 minutes, side planks at 5 minutes per side. Sit ups.

Wednesday - Upper and lower body exercise. These are also changed up every time, but another example: pull ups with backpack (I put an 8 lb weight in the backpack and one liter of water). Five sets of 7 reps with a 10 second rest between sets. 75 push ups with same backpack on. Five sets: first set is 30 push ups, then hold in up position for 10 seconds. Do 15 push ups and hold in up position for 10 seconds. Do three more sets of 10 push ups with 10 second hold in up position. I'll do three other exercises of something for five sets each, only 10 second rest between sets.

Thursday - 3 mile run. This one is mostly all steep uphills with few short flats in between. I live in an area with a lot of hills.

Friday - Repeat Tuesday's workout, but change it up. For example, if I did plank and legs 6 inches off ground Tuesday, then I will do inverted plank (feet on edge of bed about 2 to 3 feet high, elbows on ground), and side planks. I will do some sets of a variation of crunches or sit ups different from Tuesday as well.

Saturday - Upper and lower body exercises like Wednesday, except different exercises from Wednesday.

Sunday - Rest

I don't have a gym membership. This was just mostly due to school and work schedules making it difficult to fit into my day, as well as being a broke college student. Being able to do these things at home just made it more likely that I would actually do it early in the morning vs telling myself I'll drive to the gym after work etc.

I'd also like to add more actual heavy weight lifting into this. I'm not a big guy and never have been (5'7, 130 lbs).

Also, is there any significant benefits to having two days of rest vs one? As in set up a schedule going Monday thru Friday and take the weekend off.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Mindset; less guns, less fat, more time in the gym.

I was down with you all the way up to the point where you said less guns. I am over 50, exercise regularly and own and buy lots of guns and plan to continue that practice.

Be prepared for anything. If the shit hits the fan and your larding around with 20-50 extra pounds. You'll be one of the first to go......

I weigh today, the same as I did when I graduated high school after 4 years on the wrestling team and 2 as its captain.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-16-17 at 19:26.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast