Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindset; less guns, less fat, more time in the gym.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I was down with you all the way up to the point where you said less guns. I am over 50, exercise regularly and own and buy lots of guns and plan to continue that practice.

Be prepared for anything. If the shit hits the fan and your larding around with 20-50 extra pounds. You'll be one of the first to go......

I weight today, the same as I did when I graduated high school after 4 years on the wrestling team and 2 as its captain.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Ha! Yep that’s about the truth isn’t it.....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I was down with you all the way up to the point where you said less guns. I am over 50, exercise regularly and own and buy lots of guns and plan to continue that practice.

Be prepared for anything. If the shit hits the fan and your larding around with 20-50 extra pounds. You'll be one of the first to go......

I weigh today, the same as I did when I graduated high school after 4 years on the wrestling team and 2 as its captain.
    Buy all the guns as your budget allows. The point was that people who can’t afford both need to prioritize quality training and a couple of quality firearms over buying more garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    This is a good thread. I had a couple questions I wanted to ask out of curiosity.

How many days a week are you guys putting into running? Whether long distance, or high intensity sprints. I understand that weight lifting exercise is important, but I've always prioritized running in my exercise.

My workout schedule has been more or less the following:

Monday - 5 to 7 mile run

Tuesday - Body weight exercises. I change these up, but one example would be: plank for 10 minutes, legs held straight with knees locked 6 inches above ground for 10 minutes, side planks at 5 minutes per side. Sit ups.

Wednesday - Upper and lower body exercise. These are also changed up every time, but another example: pull ups with backpack (I put an 8 lb weight in the backpack and one liter of water). Five sets of 7 reps with a 10 second rest between sets. 75 push ups with same backpack on. Five sets: first set is 30 push ups, then hold in up position for 10 seconds. Do 15 push ups and hold in up position for 10 seconds. Do three more sets of 10 push ups with 10 second hold in up position. I'll do three other exercises of something for five sets each, only 10 second rest between sets.

Thursday - 3 mile run. This one is mostly all steep uphills with few short flats in between. I live in an area with a lot of hills.

Friday - Repeat Tuesday's workout, but change it up. For example, if I did plank and legs 6 inches off ground Tuesday, then I will do inverted plank (feet on edge of bed about 2 to 3 feet high, elbows on ground), and side planks. I will do some sets of a variation of crunches or sit ups different from Tuesday as well.

Saturday - Upper and lower body exercises like Wednesday, except different exercises from Wednesday.

Sunday - Rest

I don't have a gym membership. This was just mostly due to school and work schedules making it difficult to fit into my day, as well as being a broke college student. Being able to do these things at home just made it more likely that I would actually do it early in the morning vs telling myself I'll drive to the gym after work etc.

I'd also like to add more actual heavy weight lifting into this. I'm not a big guy and never have been (5'7, 130 lbs).

Also, is there any significant benefits to having two days of rest vs one? As in set up a schedule going Monday thru Friday and take the weekend off.
    I workout 4 days a week following a 2 on 1 off schedule. I do strength on the first day and conditioning on the second day, take a day off and repeat. I follow a strength biased program.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I workout 4 days a week following a 2 on 1 off schedule. I do strength on the first day and conditioning on the second day, take a day off and repeat. I follow a strength biased program.

Gotcha.

I've been wanting to shift my routine towards being more strength biased. Also have been wanting to change up my conditioning/running days from paced long distance to shorter sprints.

Only problem I have with the more intense sprints is they tend to be easier to cause injury. Never anything too serious, but a strain or so that makes me take a week or two off from the running.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    This is a good thread. I had a couple questions I wanted to ask out of curiosity.

How many days a week are you guys putting into running? Whether long distance, or high intensity sprints. I understand that weight lifting exercise is important, but I've always prioritized running in my exercise.

My workout schedule has been more or less the following:

Monday - 5 to 7 mile run

Tuesday - Body weight exercises. I change these up, but one example would be: plank for 10 minutes, legs held straight with knees locked 6 inches above ground for 10 minutes, side planks at 5 minutes per side. Sit ups.

Wednesday - Upper and lower body exercise. These are also changed up every time, but another example: pull ups with backpack (I put an 8 lb weight in the backpack and one liter of water). Five sets of 7 reps with a 10 second rest between sets. 75 push ups with same backpack on. Five sets: first set is 30 push ups, then hold in up position for 10 seconds. Do 15 push ups and hold in up position for 10 seconds. Do three more sets of 10 push ups with 10 second hold in up position. I'll do three other exercises of something for five sets each, only 10 second rest between sets.

Thursday - 3 mile run. This one is mostly all steep uphills with few short flats in between. I live in an area with a lot of hills.

Friday - Repeat Tuesday's workout, but change it up. For example, if I did plank and legs 6 inches off ground Tuesday, then I will do inverted plank (feet on edge of bed about 2 to 3 feet high, elbows on ground), and side planks. I will do some sets of a variation of crunches or sit ups different from Tuesday as well.

Saturday - Upper and lower body exercises like Wednesday, except different exercises from Wednesday.

Sunday - Rest

I don't have a gym membership. This was just mostly due to school and work schedules making it difficult to fit into my day, as well as being a broke college student. Being able to do these things at home just made it more likely that I would actually do it early in the morning vs telling myself I'll drive to the gym after work etc.

I'd also like to add more actual heavy weight lifting into this. I'm not a big guy and never have been (5'7, 130 lbs).

Also, is there any significant benefits to having two days of rest vs one? As in set up a schedule going Monday thru Friday and take the weekend off.
    That's not a bad routine; similar to mine. You don't need a gym or to lift weights, unless you just want to.

As I have gotten older (I am 49) I have significantly cut back the amount of distance I run, and the body weight exercises I do as a "circuit" or HIT/HIIT-type stuff.

As for days off, there is a benefit for having two days off following long runs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Gotcha.

I've been wanting to shift my routine towards being more strength biased. Also have been wanting to change up my conditioning/running days from paced long distance to shorter sprints.

Only problem I have with the more intense sprints is they tend to be easier to cause injury. Never anything too serious, but a strain or so that makes me take a week or two off from the running.
    Shifting towards strength training is a good great idea. Solid foundational strength will literally make you better at everything else. In regards to sprints... To avoid injury make sure you’re adequately warmed up and that your technique is correct. A lot of running injuries are related to incorrect or sloppy technique.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Mindset; less guns, less fat, more time in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    That's not a bad routine; similar to mine. You don't need a gym or to lift weights, unless you just want to.
    Chuck, I feel like that pretty bad advice. While people don’t need to lift weights in order to see tangible benefits from physical activity, a good strength training program provides benefits far and above what can be achieved without. The only reason one should not lift weights is if they have a physical condition which precludes them from doing so. Pretty much every professional athlete in the world is on some sort of strength training program that involves weights, If the only reason to lift weights was because one wanted to then that wouldn’t be the case.

Telling someone that they don’t need to lift weights unless they want to is not only incorrect, but selling them short.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    There are people on this forum that don't lift weights?

Official Kremlin Transmission

Feedback Score
    Good read over these last 8 pages...

Started back working out about 6 months ago.

One of my kids was asking me about what's the most amount of push-ups/pull-ups I've ever done; apparently they had some sort of physical fitness test in gym class.

I told her that I once could do 35 pull ups and 75 push ups.

So that naturally progressed into "how many can you do now, Dad?"

Couldn't do 10.

I felt like throwing up (out of disgust at how I'd let myself go; that elbow surgery was years ago now, no longer a viable excuse)

Now I'm slowly progressing, which is probably a good idea given that I'm nearing 40.

25 push ups every morning, I keep a 30lb dumbell by my desk and do a few reps of curls throughout the day, and I don't sit at my desk as much as I used to.

I've already started sleeping better and have less back pain.

I need to find a good way to get in some cardio as running is a no go for me.

edit: Less guns? No way... gotta draw the line somewhere!!!
    Last edited by Kerberos; 12-18-17 at 15:52.
    Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain. -Robert Jordan (adapted from the Japanese Imperial Rescript; WWII)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast