Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striker/ DS

Feedback Score

Striker/ DS

Just a question, Has anyone given a thought to giving up striker fired guns and going back to Double single or single action guns.

Without flaming striker triggers, I've had problems with all of them. One gun I owned 3 of had problems with all and all 3 had different triggers when they should have had close to the same.

Doubles and single triggers ( in the better guns ) are all better than the strikers I've owned and the double and single triggers can be made exceptional.

When you have owned striker fired guns for some time you forget how good the double/single triggers are until you shoot them again.

I think the striker triggers are getting much better now and maybe they will be better than anything in the future but for now they aren't as good.
    Just my .02

Feedback Score
    Funny you ask. I stared with DA/SA's in the late 80's, went to 1911's, then P35's, then Glocks, then bounced between Glocks and 1911's and P35's, back to Glocks, (mostly, always had a smattering of other designs and revolvers in there), and recently decided I just wanted a better trigger than striker fired guns offer so I'm back decades later to mixing in DA/SA's, mostly Beretta 92's, but have a PX4 CC I'm experimenting with (and the ever present revolvers).

I know, it goes against the "man with one gun" principle, but I personally want to be at least proficient with different weapons systems and just can't find the warm fuzzies for the Glock though I've tried for years and have owned many, still do, still carry a 19 often, but the search remains open for the preferred system. I have high hopes for the PX4 CC, but until then am enjoying a P226 SAO Legion but it's big.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjc View Post
    Just a question, Has anyone given a thought to giving up striker fired guns and going back to Double single or single action guns.

Without flaming striker triggers, I've had problems with all of them. One gun I owned 3 of had problems with all and all 3 had different triggers when they should have had close to the same.

Doubles and single triggers ( in the better guns ) are all better than the strikers I've owned and the double and single triggers can be made exceptional.

When you have owned striker fired guns for some time you forget how good the double/single triggers are until you shoot them again.

I think the striker triggers are getting much better now and maybe they will be better than anything in the future but for now they aren't as good.
    Just my .02
    No, I started off with Da/sa and then SAO.
    I don’t see myself ever going back. (Does not pertain to range-only/fun guns).
    How much dry fire and live fire have you done with each trigger?
    What did your 25yd groups look like?
    How is the trigger holding you back?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-29-17 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don't see myself going back to a DA/SA. I used to carry a Sig and it was ok, but I do better with a Glock.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting topic. I went shooting and decided to bring my 226 and my 5904 with me. And....it was just shooting as normal. On SA the triggers were obviously not spongey and since I was on "me" time; didnt bother with DA at all.

Being a Striker isnt why Glock is my Go To. Its because I am a little lazy. Honestly, the aforementioned pistols were more fun and entertaining but then you have to clean and oil them which is a drag.

Like I'll run a Glock ragged, but my other stuff I do PM on.

I wouldnt consciously "go back" as it is all the same fundamentals but Glock is just an easy button. Plus I dont run defensive loads in my leisure guns. Just standard 115 gr.

More fun, more work.

But like otherwise for a utilitarian use, Glock.

The Easy Button Life.
    Last edited by Firefly; 10-29-17 at 16:47.

Feedback Score
    I was born a bred a revolver guy, I prefer a long "heavy" trigger pull that has zero slack. I want to feel trigger weight from the moment I put pressure on the trigger until it releases the hammer.

Therefore, I would LOVE to shoot a DAO semi-auto.

But sadly I own 2 glocks and a Sig P6. And I'm not sure whose trigger I hate more. I even put the NY1 and - connector in my G26, but it still has massive slack that I hate. So I can say that I have never found a semi auto trigger that I actually enjoy to shoot.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Squarepizza, you need a Pizza gun! ��

Find a 92D, I bet you love it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This thread reminds me to go lube my Glocks. I've dehumidifiers in my safes but they don't guarantee against rust. G43 still gets some use but otherwise it is all DA/SA for me.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m transitioning to Da/sa, currently. Say what you will, but I like double action triggers. My poi is tighter to my poa in DA, strangely enough. The hammer makes me feel warm and fuzzy during reholstering. I like to do a lot of dry fire with DA guns, also. Having to rack a striker gun for each dry iteration is bit of a minor turn off.

So I’m giving DA/SA a go, experimentally. I’m liking it so far. I’ll be expanding my collection of sizes with similar feels shortly. The goal is to have Beretta 85, PX4, Wilson 92 compact, m9A3. Maybe find a pocket sized gun. I’m open to recommendations for that.

Feedback Score
    The OP seems to think readers own/shoot all striker fired handguns or all DA/SA or all single action handguns. I own and shoot all three and like all three so there is no "going back" to anything. I also own and shoot bolt action rifles, autoloading rifles and lever action rifles. Variety is a good thing.

And what does the OP mean by "better" triggers in the double action or single action guns? Lighter or smoother or what? I would invite him/her to try the triggers of my Walther PPQs and see the verdict.

Most all of the autoloading handguns I've bought in the last 10 years have been striker fired ones, along with several revolvers. Especially in the last few years there have been some most excellent striker handguns released such as the PPQ, VP, CZ 10 and others. As far as "trouble" with my striker fired handguns goes, the only ones that have given me any trouble were two Gen 4 Glock 19s which gave me severe (at least 6-8 hot empties per magazine) brass to face issues until I found a fix. But they still fed, fired and ejected every round.

Over the years and many dozens of handguns I've only had six handguns that gave me trouble. All were single action. Five were Colt 1911s in the 80's and early 90's. All were crap that wouldn't feed or eject properly regardless of the brand, bullet weight or power level of the ammo. One was a high end .22 target model made by High Standard. Back to the factory with the High Standard and they couldn't fix it.

I currently own 16 striker fired handguns. All are excellent. All have triggers that range from serviceable (Glocks) to excellent (PPQs & VP9s) and most in between are very good. Yes, my match grade Kimber 1911 is a little better but it's also heavy as a brick and totally unsuited for carry use by me. I've owned about a dozen other striker handguns that I sold or traded. None were unreliable or had poor triggers.

The wonderful thing about living in the time that we do and in the USA is that we have a great variety of handguns of all action types, brands, and sizes to choose from. And polymer framed striker fired handguns are very popular because they are affordable and they work well.

OP, sorry that you have had trouble with strikers. That is not the norm for these type handguns.
    Last edited by Helix12; 10-30-17 at 10:14.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast