Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M855 Vs M193 out of an 11.5 Inch Barrel

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

M855 Vs M193 out of an 11.5 Inch Barrel

Which one is better and why? Or do they both suck and 77gr otm would be better? This is not for self defense purposes but for having bulk ammo/shtf purposes. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bulk for shit hitting the fan would be SD/HD purposes in my mind. And while throwing something is better than nothing, all things being equal I'd take a MK262 loading over M193 or M855 even out of a short barrel, perhaps especially out of a short barrel. After that, I'd probably look at M193 just because I get generally better accuracy with that than M855.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Bulk for shit hitting the fan would be SD/HD purposes in my mind. And while throwing something is better than nothing, all things being equal I'd take a MK262 loading over M193 or M855 even out of a short barrel, perhaps especially out of a short barrel. After that, I'd probably look at M193 just because I get generally better accuracy with that than M855.
    Thanks for the response. I guess a simpler version of the question would be; What round would the guys in Mogadishu have wanted if they were limited to 11.5 suppresed AR's?

I'm guessing MK262.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIDGAPATRIOT View Post
    Thanks for the response. I guess a simpler version of the question would be; What round would the guys in Mogadishu have wanted if they were limited to 11.5 suppresed AR's?

I'm guessing MK262.
    Mk318 and M855A1 are both better than Mk262. Mk262 was never designed to have increased terminal performance it was chosen for accuracy. Im not 100% sure why(probably propaganda) people think Mk262 is some super terminally effective round.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 10-14-17 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With M855A1 pushing pressure to what it does, though word is they did drop it to more reasonable levels, and the issue with it being basically unabtainium I'd write that off. Unless you have a source for M855A1, in which case please let me know. I would like some just to have. Mk318, if it were more available then maybe, but I haven't seen it in bulk in a long time at a reasonable price. At least not at the retailers I use. But, i still stand behind Mk262 is going to be a better option than M855 or M193, and it does work, and gel tests show that it does what most want on a fleshy target, and accuracy is never a bad thing, and it can be had in numbers from various venders at reasonable rates, that all adds up to a round that had merit. Not to say it is the end all be all. When we come up with that one let me know because everything is a trade off. What do you want the rounds to do, at what distance, and for what cost?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For bulk and cheap, I would choose M193 (vs 855). Velocity has advantages, and there are other lesser reasons. However, if you can swing the funds, there are better options, and Mk262 is one of them.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    With M855A1 pushing pressure to what it does, though word is they did drop it to more reasonable levels, and the issue with it being basically unabtainium I'd write that off. Unless you have a source for M855A1, in which case please let me know. I would like some just to have. Mk318, if it were more available then maybe, but I haven't seen it in bulk in a long time at a reasonable price. At least not at the retailers I use. But, i still stand behind Mk262 is going to be a better option than M855 or M193, and it does work, and gel tests show that it does what most want on a fleshy target, and accuracy is never a bad thing, and it can be had in numbers from various venders at reasonable rates, that all adds up to a round that had merit. Not to say it is the end all be all. When we come up with that one let me know because everything is a trade off. What do you want the rounds to do, at what distance, and for what cost?
    I thought this was one of those fantasy "go back in time and give revolutionary war soldiers ARs or something" that seem to be popular these days. Since he mentioned Mogadishu I was only sticking with modern JAG approved rounds for this fantasy scenario.

Back to reality. Unless you have some kind of long range precision there is no reason to use Mk262. There are plenty of better rounds that you can have for the same or cheaper and is more terminally effective(Gold Dots).
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 10-15-17 at 06:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIDGAPATRIOT View Post
    Which one is better and why? Or do they both suck and 77gr otm would be better? This is not for self defense purposes but for having bulk ammo/shtf purposes. Thanks guys.
    Buy whatever, ammo will be the least of your problems.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    M193 and M855 are going to have pretty short fragmentation ranges out of a 11.5. I havent purchased M855 in years because I find M193 to be cheaper and more accurate.

Im a fan on M262. It has pretty decent terminal ballistics and supposedly fragments all the way down to 1900 FPS do to its length and somewhat fragile design. I used it exclusively during my second tour in Iraq and found it to be very effective out at 400 meters. My squad leader turned SF ninja has several kills out past 400 meters with his Mk18 and M262.

That being said you can get good modern rounds like the Gold Dot for cheaper and it doesnt rely on fragmentation to work well.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Since non-issued rounds are being mentioned, Fusion MSR is what I would choose in the "better options" category. Not sure how it performs from an SBR, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast