Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M855 Vs M193 out of an 11.5 Inch Barrel

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    For my part, any ammunition I bothered to buy in bulk is what I ended up setting optics to and leaving... since any situation where I'd need to dig deep into the reserves I'd want to run my 'A' game setup, I see no reason not to run 75gr/77gr out of my MK18 upper (and every other). The bulk M193 is for classes, practice, goofing around, and every other AR I've accumulated. Practically speaking, 75gr PPU has been cheap enough for me to just run that as the bulk version, and it's not terrible performance-wise if that's what I have on hand loaded up.

Last I looked, the 'right' answer would be something like 70gr TTSX to maximize terminal performance across the range of possibilities, but anything is better than nothing, and shot placement >> anything else, so having an optic that hits POA/POI to where you can drive it is the best answer, so picking one answer is going to be better than being spread across the entire option range.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    The only use I personally have for M855 is for cheap practice ammo to sight in for my 62 gr. FBI load ammo. I could also see someone stocking up on it in order to sell it if there is another price hike due to fears that they might ban the evil military-grade steel penetrator ammo, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Other than that, I suppose there are some advantages of M855 due purely to the fact that it is a heavier projectile, but even there, I'd rather pick up a 62 gr. FMJ (I think Magtech and Aguila both make them). I guess there is less lead in M855 so you could choose it to help the environment. But for me, none of that outweighs the lower cost, greater accuracy, better terminal performance, fewer issues at ranges, and more or less equal barrier performance (so I read) of M193.
    Last edited by 5.56_30-06; 12-20-17 at 15:35.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123