Thread: Light mount for 15" rail on 16" barrel

Feedback Score

Light mount for 15" rail on 16" barrel

Didn't think this through when I built this upper. I put a 15" EMR V2 on my Stretch16 intermediate gas barrel. I planned on using a Arisaka inline scout mount and an Pro Tac Rail Mount HL-X at the 10 o'clock. Now I'm second guessing that it'll put the light right with the muzzle break and moving it back too far will cause excess shadowing.

Anyone running a rail this close to the muzzle with a light and how do you have it mounted? Open to suggestions. Pictures welcome!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Barrel shadow is something that really isn't a big deal in actual use. If you use a suppressor it's unavoidable most of the time, but once you get on the range you won't even notice it because the main hotspot of the beam is not affected.

If you place the head flush with the end of the handguard you'll have minimal shadow. Just be aware that the HL-X has a longer back end than the other Protac Rail Mount lights, and this blocks the front mounting screw on our inline scout mount even with the tailcap removed. You'll have to trim an L style Allen key down so it will fit between the light body and mount to tighten the front screw.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response. Good to know about the mount.

As far as shadow I was worried that the mount will place the light out in front of the hand guard right next to the brake or next to the rail, but your point about the throw and actual use makes sense. Thanks.