Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Odin works pistol buffer tube vs BCM pistol buffer tube.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Yes and no. A5H2 is the standard weight and more analog to a mil-spec H2, even though the weights are not the same (the rifle length spring rate plays an important factor). I believe they numbered them to more closely correlate to their mil-spec counterparts to be easier to decide which to start with. I am sure it will work for you but I cannot be sure if it will be optimum for your setup.
    How much of a different is there between the A5H2 and the A5H3? So optimum is A5H3 I assume? I wonder if optics planet can swap out the A5H2 for the A5H3 for me.

or just replace the A5 buffer spring with the sprinco green spring and keep the A5H2? would this accomplish the same thing? that seems to be the recommendation from mistywolf.
    Last edited by heavygunner8; 10-17-17 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    I depends on factors unique to your platform... ammo, weather, sun/moon alignment lol, etc. etc.. Ok, if I was a betting man, I would say H3 would be a better starting point (especially with a can). Someone else can sign off on this, but probably H4 would work best with a can and NATO pressure ammo. YMMV. A5H2 is a good general purpose do-all buffer. You just might notice some forward-oriented ejection and a little more sharper punch in felt recoil. It won't be horrible. I run a A5H3 in my 16" BCM mid and it will run Wolf steel all day*, if that means anything to you. The kit saves you a few bucks, but I prefer to buy the components now that I have enough parts to try out on new uppers before I buy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by heavygunner8 View Post
    How much of a different is there between the A5H2 and the A5H3? So optimum is A5H3 I assume? I wonder if optics planet can swap out the A5H2 for the A5H3 for me.

ETA: *unsuppressed
    Last edited by tehpwnag3; 10-17-17 at 12:54.

Feedback Score
    If I can rest some of your concerns, if you were going to go with a standard carbine RE with mil-spec H2, the A5 system WILL be better (maybe even MUCH better). So, don't sweat the buffer weight until you try it with your rig first. Who knows, it might be just right.

Thank you for the recommendation. I think I will go with the BCM tube kit for now. I read that DD sells their mk18 sbrs with an H buffer, so I figured the H2 should be fine. I’ll test it and see how it feels if things doesn’t go well, I will definitely go the vltor a5 route. I think for pistol brace the KAK shockwave blade pistol brace seems like a good choice. It has a screw on the bottom to tighten the bolt, so that the brace doesn’t move around due to recoil. The ATF recently clarified shouldering a pistol brace isn’t a crime anymore, so that’s a relief lol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiz View Post
    right, I haven't decided if that will be my route yet though. I want to make the best choice, research before I buy something. Wondering if a good adj. gas block will be enough. Not a lot of info out there on the a5 that is not anecdotal. rereading Grant's thread as I sit.
    My experience- A shorty barrel with an over sized gas port will need a way to reduce gas flow. I chose to use an adjustable gas block. A heavier buffer will slow the carrier, but gas flow is still excessive. NOTE: When I installed the Omega on the 6933, it had the factory H buffer. Not only was recoil sharp, but the gas block got so hot after just 40-60 rounds at a slow rate of fire, the handguards were almost too hot to hold. With the same model handguards on other ARs, they only got a little warm doing drills, rapid fire and farting around with a binary trigger. After installing the A5, recoil was softer and the handguards didn't get as hot.

I have an AR pistol with the same 11.5" length barrel as the 6933 running a suppressor with a carbine type RE, H buffer and the stiffer spring that comes with the Franklin Armory binary trigger. It uses the SLR adjustable gas block. I've got it tuned so it just locks back. If I close the metering screw one more click, it will eject, but not lock back. Recoil is nice and soft. But it runs even smoother on the A5 equipped lower. Currently, it ejects but doesn't lock back. The gas block will need to be opened a click or two before I declare the experiment a success.

Getting back the 6933- Recoil is softer with the A5 RE 5.3 oz buffer and VLTOR spring. Still, it's harsher than I'd like, so I'm going to try the Sprinco green spring. The 6933 upper does not have an adjustable gas block. If the green spring doesn't recoil like I'd like, I'm going to see if a BRT restrictor screw can be fitted to the factory gas block.

From my understanding, putting a carbine RE on a pistol is constructive intent. Even if you don't have a stock. Correct me if I am wrong.
    They sell separate lowers with stocks. If having a carbine or rifle RE on a pistol lower was constructive intent, there are a lot of makers and vendors violating the law with consent of the BATF
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

i see some recommendations for a sprinco green buffer spring to replace the buffer spring in the kit, is this still necessary with the kit I just bought? Will the above work just fine?
    The spring that comes with the Vltor kit will work fine. I use the Sprinco spring because my rifle is full auto. My other rifles with the A5 kit use the standard Vltor rifle spring. I have replaced springs in the past and I just make sure the spring is a Vltor or Colt rifle spring.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345