Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silencerco suppressor shot off rifle

Feedback Score

Silencerco suppressor shot off rifle

Had a Saker 556 fly off on me today. It is relatively new and only has about 800 rounds through it so far. I've heard the stories of this happening but of course didn't expect it.

I had shot a full mag without the can first. Attached it as usual and even gave it an extra twist, though in retrospect I must have done it too quickly and did not yank on it or inspect it closely enough after attachment.

Upon firing the first shot, the rifle had a abnormally hard recoil / muzzle jump, and I noticed something go skipping down range. I was confused for a second or two before realizing what had occurred. Removed the mag, checked the rifle - the bolt was closed and the chamber empty. It had not fully cycled or stripped the next round off the mag.

Went and found the can. Grabbed a flashlight and spent some time inspecting both the can and field-stripped rifle, and could not see any damage at all. No marks or baffle strikes as far as I can tell. Checked my target, which did indeed have a fresh, normal-looking hole in it (not keyholed) at the location I would expect.

After blowing out a bit of minor dirt/debris in the can, and satisfying myself that everything was OK, I mounted the can back on and resumed shooting. Ran some drills and put about 200 rounds through it. Everything seems normal. I checked my 50 yard zero - no change.

I guess the can must have been loose or otherwise wasn't quite fully seated, and was ejected by the gasses behind the bullet.

Returned home and inspected again just to be sure. I guess I got lucky.
    Last edited by Severian; 10-15-17 at 23:41.

Feedback Score
    The gun not fully cycling seems weird. Is this expected when a cam shoots off? Maybe it messes with the recoil enough to inhibit cycling. Curious for an explanation on that.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Got the t-shirt on this one. Mine (Omega 7.62) was with a bolt gun though so not much help for you. Was the first round I ever shot through it. That sickening feeling watching your expensive toy bounce down the range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    The gun not fully cycling seems weird. Is this expected when a cam shoots off? Maybe it messes with the recoil enough to inhibit cycling. Curious for an explanation on that.
    Yeah I found that a little strange also. The muzzle jump felt pretty violent (for an AR), it dang near jumped out of my support hand. So I guess with the sudden loss of gas pressure the energy went elsewhere and it was enough to not fully cycle. But that's just a guess.
    Last edited by Severian; 10-16-17 at 00:13.

Feedback Score
    Layman theory: Other than just being user error/accidentally insufficient attachment, perhaps it had something to do with attaching a cold suppressor to a hot barrel and muzzle device? The ambient temperature was about 45 degrees F, and I had just shot 30 rounds without the can. Maybe some expansion/contraction dynamic happening between the suppressor's mount and the muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Severian View Post
    Layman theory: Other than just being user error/accidentally insufficient attachment, perhaps it had something to do with attaching a cold suppressor to a hot barrel and muzzle device? The ambient temperature was about 45 degrees F, and I had just shot 30 rounds without the can. Maybe some expansion/contraction dynamic happening between the suppressor's mount and the muzzle device.
    Was this the MAAD or the ASR mount?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Silencerco suppressor shot off rifle

I launched my SF SOCOM fast attach a few weeks ago. I didn't have it properly attached. No damage beyond my ego.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by usmcvet; 10-17-17 at 10:04.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    The increased recoil is caused by Newton's third law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Instead of a 55-77gr projectile, you launched an 18 oz projectile down range.

If you have the MAAD trifecta mount, I recommend switching to the ASR mount. Silencerco will swap out the mount and all your muzzle devices for free. Or, if you want the best option, get the Dead Air Key-mo. It retains the one handed twist QD of the MAAD trifecta, but doesn't get stuck, and doesn't randomly let your can go flying down range.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Was this the MAAD or the ASR mount?
    It's the MAAD mount on a Trifecta.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    If you have the MAAD trifecta mount, I recommend switching to the ASR mount. Silencerco will swap out the mount and all your muzzle devices for free. Or, if you want the best option, get the Dead Air Key-mo. It retains the one handed twist QD of the MAAD trifecta, but doesn't get stuck, and doesn't randomly let your can go flying down range.
    Alright, thanks. I'll look into those. Maybe the ASR flash hider would be best. The key-mo looks nice, but not sure if I want to mount brakes, as I'm mostly using this can with SBR's and pistols.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Severian View Post
    It's the MAAD mount on a Trifecta.

Alright, thanks. I'll look into those. Maybe the ASR flash hider would be best. The key-mo looks nice, but not sure if I want to mount brakes, as I'm mostly using this can with SBR's and pistols.
    Yeah the MAAD needs to be doublechecked that it is fully seated before tightening and then checked after tightening to make sure it seated correctly. Otherwise it will launch.

On SBR's, the brake is more important for a sacrificial blast baffle even though the saker can handle it, but it sure is an expensive can to not protect if possible. FYI, the Key_mo has flash hiders if desired

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast