Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2A BCG

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

2A BCG

Hello all i have a question for you guys. I have a colt 11.5 barrwl on its way going into a pitol build while awaiting my sbr stamp that will be suppressed and instead of an adj gb i am looking at adj carriers and the 2a regulated bcg has piqued my interest as it is extremely easy to adjust.
    This rifle will be used mainly for carbine classes and hard use type of shooting and that is the one thing that is keeping me looking at standard bcgs. Regardless if it is or is not a good idea to use on a hardnuse short barrel can you guys give me your opinions and experiences with this bcg?

Thanks everyone and i am looking forward to learning more from all of you guys.

Regards,
    Darrin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would just buy and use a standard milspec BCG.
    I can't comment on the 2a bcg as I have never owned one. For the price, you could buy a few milspec BCG's, 2 cases of ammo, or build a whole new upper/lower. I think the best idea would be surf around for the best buffer combination with the port size for the length of your barrel. With a company like Colt they probably drilled the gas port just right, and there is no need to mess with aftermarket BCG's.
    I own one fancy BCG, it is NiB, it works fine, doesn't need much lube on the carrier rails, but is ironically harder to clean where the bolt inserts compared to a milspec bcg. I prefer a milspec BCG at the end of the day for reasons like weight, simplicity, standardization, and the fact that is what a milspec gun is designed to use.

Those are just my opinions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Also, I am sorry if anyone loves these BCG ( 2a) but the idea just seems backwards to me. If you want to adjust the gas level, the only ways to really do that in my opinion is gas port size, and adjustable gas block. By the time your gas hits the BCG you aren't going to change the amount of gas hitting the BCG, and this idea just sounds completely backwards to me. For the price, you could get a standard BCG and an adjustable gas block. I think an adjustable gas block would be much more beneficial than this thing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlraymond30 View Post
    This rifle will be used mainly for carbine classes and hard use type of shooting and that is the one thing that is keeping me looking at standard bcgs.

This is a good reason as to exactly why you SHOULD be looking at a standard carrier. A properly gassed barrel does not need an adjustable gas block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thats what I assumed as well. I asked bc first off I have very limited usage with a suppressed AR in DI and second I shoot left handed so I "suffer" from a tad bit more gas in the face especially in a short config. I just received my Vltor A5 tube and rifle spring (have read from others on here about different springs for the A5 system so I will be getting several more springs as well as some Vltor A5 springs... Primary Arms doesn't carry the A5 spring/buffer but does carry the tube... weird) and I just purchased an H0 buffer (will be utilized on my 16" Ballistic Advantage Hanson Middy with non adj GB for right now until I get my Colt barrel to start the build) and I have a couple of sacrificial H2 buffers that I can get the weights out of and tailor the H0 buffer heavier if need be. For that matter, can regular buffer weights be utilized in the Vltor A5 buffers? Also, will the H0 be a good weight for the above mentioned 16"? I currently run a stock 4 position Colt buffer tube a JP "enhanced" carbine spring and an H2 buffer and it runs SMOOOOOOOOTH. I'm thinking that the A5 with the H0 should run just as smooth if not smoother especially since BA doesn't oversize their gas ports. With the above mentioned setup I am getting .76" groups with a magnified optic (borrowed from a range friend bc I don't have enough money for a good one of my own) and I printed .3-.8" groups at 54 yards with and unmagnified Holosun 403A from the prone position utilizing my magazine bag and a bag of rice (yes, rice) for the front and rear rests.
    Okay, I got off topic a little and I apologize for that.
    ANyway, the only "enhanced" BCG I have is the Alpha V2 with Nitride and I am running it with the Reliabolt from Sharps and it has run flawlessly. I only got it because it was a stupid cheap deal. I also run a stock Colt carrier in my 18" rifle gassed AR and keep the Colt bolt as my spare for my 16".
    I tend to agree that mitigating gas in a DI gun is best done at the GB instead of the carrier. I may experiment with one someday but a standard tried and true bcg is prob the best way for me to go especially for hard use with a suppressor...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well I can see why you would want to reduce gas in the face! and it is possible the 2a bcg could help. However, I think it would just be more gassy in a different location, possibly even worse since less gas would be going through the vents, could cause more gas around the charging handle area. I also don't think it would be good to close off too much gas where the 2a cuts the gas, it is a pretty vital spot for the gun. IDK maybe worse, maybe better.. I am also willing to bet that BCG wouldn't be as durable as a milspec bcg, it has more parts, and those are more parts that could fail... For the money, I think you are much better off going the adjustable gas block route. I have an adjustable gas block on a piston gun, and it is really really nice.

But these are just my opinions, and I am no expert on the matter. Hopefully you get your setup how you like it!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I do believe there is an ideal gas port diameter for using suppressed and not suppressed ( taking suppressor on and off ) for every barrel length/gas system, and I think there is a thread on it in the technical section.

Feedback Score
    Vltor uses 4 weights in their A5 buffers and they are the same size as mil-spec.

Quote Originally Posted by dlraymond30 View Post
    Thats what I assumed as well. I asked bc first off I have very limited usage with a suppressed AR in DI and second I shoot left handed so I "suffer" from a tad bit more gas in the face especially in a short config. I just received my Vltor A5 tube and rifle spring (have read from others on here about different springs for the A5 system so I will be getting several more springs as well as some Vltor A5 springs... Primary Arms doesn't carry the A5 spring/buffer but does carry the tube... weird) and I just purchased an H0 buffer (will be utilized on my 16" Ballistic Advantage Hanson Middy with non adj GB for right now until I get my Colt barrel to start the build) and I have a couple of sacrificial H2 buffers that I can get the weights out of and tailor the H0 buffer heavier if need be. For that matter, can regular buffer weights be utilized in the Vltor A5 buffers? Also, will the H0 be a good weight for the above mentioned 16"? I currently run a stock 4 position Colt buffer tube a JP "enhanced" carbine spring and an H2 buffer and it runs SMOOOOOOOOTH. I'm thinking that the A5 with the H0 should run just as smooth if not smoother especially since BA doesn't oversize their gas ports. With the above mentioned setup I am getting .76" groups with a magnified optic (borrowed from a range friend bc I don't have enough money for a good one of my own) and I printed .3-.8" groups at 54 yards with and unmagnified Holosun 403A from the prone position utilizing my magazine bag and a bag of rice (yes, rice) for the front and rear rests.
    Okay, I got off topic a little and I apologize for that.
    ANyway, the only "enhanced" BCG I have is the Alpha V2 with Nitride and I am running it with the Reliabolt from Sharps and it has run flawlessly. I only got it because it was a stupid cheap deal. I also run a stock Colt carrier in my 18" rifle gassed AR and keep the Colt bolt as my spare for my 16".
    I tend to agree that mitigating gas in a DI gun is best done at the GB instead of the carrier. I may experiment with one someday but a standard tried and true bcg is prob the best way for me to go especially for hard use with a suppressor...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Apparently my last reply didnt make it (damn cell phones) but the gist of it is that I read about the LMT enhanced carrier helping with dwell time primarily due to the angle of a certain part (cam pin if im not mistaken) allowing INSANE reliability fir shorter guns esoecially going fron suppressed to not and utilizing heavy buffers (H3 and up) and I wonder if for the same reason the enhancement allows for reduced gas reaching the shooters face?
    Also, how beneficial would the Lantac E BCG be with the forward angled gas vents be especially considering I shoot lefty? Prinary Arms has periodic sales on the Lantac and during those sales you can buy it for less thab half of thr 2A and i dont mind spending a little more on quality... Just like how people here spend obcene amounts on the DD RIS II at around $500 used and will spend $199 on a stripped KAC lower. Quality costs lol.
    Any experiences/opinions? Any technical info that may help me?

Regards,
    Darrin

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Darrin, I’m lefty and the only time I have issues shooting suppressed is with an SBR, prone, rapid firing on an indoor or poorly ventilated area with an older style can.

I would seriously recommend keeping things simple. I think that the farther you deviate from the established norm/design is when you start opening your self up to running into issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast