Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What kind of powders do you like for your AR15/Semi autos and why?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I know. But the point of that load was to get a mild practice round that stretched 8 lbs of powder a long way. I don't shoot TAC or 55 gr FMJs any longer.
    The like that it is the same charge I use for 77gr loads and requires no adjustment on the powder bar; only to move to preset marks on the micrometer seat die.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The only problem I had with it was POI shift when I shot 5.56 pressure ammo. The TAC load shot 1-2" low. So either my practice ammo, or defense ammo wasn't zeroed.

For practice, is 1-2” really a concern? Just curious as to your thinking as my weapons are zeroed for defensive ammo, yet the 24.5 TAC/55 gr HDY combo has served me well in 3-Gun competition out to 300 yards.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    For practice, is 1-2” really a concern? Just curious as to your thinking as my weapons are zeroed for defensive ammo, yet the 24.5 TAC/55 gr HDY combo has served me well in 3-Gun competition out to 300 yards.
    The only time It messed me up was in Patrol Rifle Class. My instructor was critical of shot placement and so my POI shift was a minor nuisance when I switched ammo. The ammo is another story...
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The only time It messed me up was in Patrol Rifle Class. My instructor was critical of shot placement and so my POI shift was a minor nuisance when I switched ammo. The ammo is another story...
    This messed me up at a 3 gun match once. I had my carbine sighted in at 100 with 77 grain match ammo and accidentally grabbed a mag of 55 FMJ that was moving significantly faster. When engaging some 4" targets at 175 yards, it was enough that I discovered after 3 straight misses that I was barely high left. A slight correction corrected the point of impact but after I had waisted 10 seconds trying to figure out what was going on
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't even have 55 gr FMJ anymore. The POI shift from 77s was too exhausting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    My attention has turned mostly to XBR for heavy 5.56 and .308 loads lately. Lots of catching up to do in the workshop over the next few cold months.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Going back to the original question... It's really easier to say which powders I don't like, or which ones are less optimal.

Anything from Reloader is not acceptable due to the crazy temp sensitivity. WIN748 is temp sensative too. But it's a SUPER low flash powder. Other than those examples, I've not run into any powders that really bothered me to use.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Going back to the original question... It's really easier to say which powders I don't like, or which ones are less optimal.

Anything from Reloader is not acceptable due to the crazy temp sensitivity. WIN748 is temp sensative too. But it's a SUPER low flash powder. Other than those examples, I've not run into any powders that really bothered me to use.
    Have you tried any of the new Reloader powders (e.g. 16, 23 and 26)? Supposedly they address the temperature issue. I’ve been using RL 23 in .300 WBY and 6.5-284 and have not seen an appreciable drop in velocity thus far. For info, I developed my loads over the summer when it’s usually well into the 90’s and it’s now currently hovering around freezing most days.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    My attention has turned mostly to XBR for heavy 5.56 and .308 loads lately. Lots of catching up to do in the workshop over the next few cold months.

When I exhaust my supply of Varget, I’m going to do some more experimentation with XBR in 7.62 to possibly simplify my powder buying as I already use it in 5.56 precision loads. What few tests I’ve done show promise with 175 gr. bullets.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have you tried any of the new Reloader powders (e.g. 16, 23 and 26)? Supposedly they address the temperature issue.
    We messed with RE19 for 338 WM when we were struggling. There was an issue with temp. I'd have to see if I wrote it down.

When I exhaust my supply of Varget, I’m going to do some more experimentation with XBR in 7.62 to possibly simplify my powder buying as I already use it in 5.56 precision loads. What few tests I’ve done show promise with 175 gr. bullets.
    This is interesting. I've shot a lot of 8208, but never in .308. It strikes me that XBR is a little fast... especially compared to Varget. But we shoot the heavies in .223 with XBR sometimes.... so who knows?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast