Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of powders do you like for your AR15/Semi autos and why?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What kind of powders do you like for your AR15/Semi autos and why?

I've been sticking with ball powder for easy use with my RCBS uniflow powder measure. Haven't messed with many different powders. So far Ramshot Tac has been metering the best for me, with an occasional about .2 variance in powder charge. Most charges are right on the money though, getting a pretty good 1.5 MOA using Tac batch loading bulk SP bullets. I am more interested in large volume loading over match grade ammo, weighing every charge is too tedious for my purposes, as long I can shoot in the 1-2MOA range I am happy.
    I've messed around with CFE223, and where as it did what it claims with copper fouling after a few hundred rounds it was fouling a lot of carbon into my actions ( an insane amount of soft carbon ). Much more so than any other powder I tried, maybe my loads weren't hot enough, but I was getting near full case load and didn't want to try any compressed loads. So I lost interest in CFE223.
    I've had good luck with H335, and it has given me some very accurate loads.
    I started using Tac because I have been loading 60+ grain bullets and it is burning much cleaner than CFE223 has. So far, H335 and Tac have been burning the cleanest; but I haven't shot enough of the Tac loads inbetween cleaning to say which burns cleaner.
    Any suggestions on powders I should try out? I will mainly be using 60-64gr SP and Ballistic tip bullets. Hoping to stay in the 30$ a pound range, but would be willing to give more expensive powders a try if they burned significantly cleaner. I would be willing to try anything so long as it meters decently.
    With H335, CFE223, and Tac; I get very similar accuracy. I love how Tac has published load data for 5.56 and 223.

Worth note, I have been exclusively using CCI450 primers.

Feedback Score
    Ramshot TAC has become my favorite powder for the reasons you stated. Good velocities for heavy bullets, ball powder for easy and accurate metering in progressive presses. Good middle of the road burn rate for versatility in use with a range of bullet weights, published 5.56 data, and burns fairly clean and also has an anti-copper fouling composition. And up until recently, was one of the cheaper options.

I also have done a lot of load dev with CFE223 and hated the fact that you had to load to the max to get a clean burn and decent velocities (which still never bested TAC loads for me). Very dirty when loading middle of the road pressures. Also very temp sensitive at those higher pressures. Too slow burning for 223 IMO. Might be decent for .308.
    Last edited by B52U; 10-16-17 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I used to shoot tons of TAC. H322 is pretty much the house powders these days. XBR is always nice too. I rarely shoot ball powders anymore because of how good the accuracy is with short cut, extruded, benchrest style powders.

They meter good through my 550b. I'm sure there's some charge weight variances, but I've not found this to hurt accuracy. As far as clean burning? They're all the same to me. Now that I no longer run over gassed ARs, the guns stay much cleaner... just keep the bcg lubed, and there's no issues.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    Ramshot TAC has become my favorite powder for the reasons you stated. Good velocities for heavy bullets, ball powder for easy and accurate metering in progressive presses. Good middle of the road burn rate for versatility in use with a range of bullet weights, published 5.56 data, and burns fairly clean and also has an anti-copper fouling composition. And up until recently, was one of the cheaper options.

I also have done a lot of load dev with CFE223 and hated the fact that you had to load to the max to get a clean burn and decent velocities (which still never bested TAC loads for me). Very dirty when loading middle if the road pressures. Also very temp sensitive at those higher pressures. Too slow burning for 223 IMO. Might be decent for .308.
    I did not know it had copper fouling reduction properties!
    I also love how they publish load data for everything from 34gr-90gr bullets with 223/5.56!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    I did not know it had copper fouling reduction properties!
    I also love how they publish load data for everything from 34gr-90gr bullets with 223/5.56!
    Well, upon further research to back up my claim, this may be in dispute now. I was pretty sure it contained tin bizmuth, but I could be wrong according to this thread. My apologies for perpetuating what could be myth. In any case, copper fouling hasn't been an issue for me.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...82/type/thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I used to shoot tons of TAC. H322 is pretty much the house powders these days. XBR is always nice too. I rarely shoot ball powders anymore because of how good the accuracy is with short cut, extruded, benchrest style powders.

They meter good through my 550b. I'm sure there's some charge weight variances, but I've not found this to hurt accuracy. As far as clean burning? They're all the same to me. Now that I no longer run over gassed ARs, the guns stay much cleaner... just keep the bcg lubed, and there's no issues.
    Sounds like you haven't shot a bunch of CFE223 with moderate charges Lol, JK. That stuff didn't give me any malfunctions with my guns, but cleaning was such a PITA that I don't even want to use the 2-3#'s of the stuff I have laying around! haha

I have considered trying h322, but I'm worried it might be a little fast for the heavier bullets. Might have to try some with some 50gr zmax.

I also haven't noticed much effect in accuracy with a mild powder charge variance, but I might not be good enough of a shooter to see the difference at the distances I shot ( mainly 100-200 yards ). Have you noticed any other advantages with the non ball powders besides accuracy? I hear people complain about temp sensitivity with ball powders, but for me it has never been a problem at all.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    Well, upon further research to back up my claim, this may be in dispute now. I was pretty sure it contained tin bizmuth, but I could be wrong according to this thread. My apologies for perpetuating what could be myth. In any case, copper fouling hasn't been an issue for me.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...82/type/thread
    No worries either way! It would be nice, but all of my barrels are chrome or nitride, so copper fouling has never really been an issue since I always clean my guns after I get home from the range ( at the very least a few swipes with a bore snake). The only thing that ever seems to really affect my accuracy is when my barrels warm up.

Probably a good thing, I think the Tin compounds leave a little more carbon fouling in lieu of copper fouling but that is only an assumption on my part from my limited experience with CFE223.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Hodgdon Benchmark works well for my .223 (77grain), 6.8spcii (100/110grain), and .308 (165/168grain) semi-auto rifles. It meters just find through my hornady powder drop on the LNL AP.
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 10-16-17 at 15:53. Reason: Included grain weights that I use benchmark for

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Sounds like you haven't shot a bunch of CFE223 with moderate charges Lol, JK. That stuff didn't give me any malfunctions with my guns, but cleaning was such a PITA that I don't even want to use the 2-3#'s of the stuff I have laying around! haha
    I have not. Just 1 lb. I start out a little hot. Ran it with ss109 bullets and liked it for the limited rounds I used it.

I have considered trying h322, but I'm worried it might be a little fast for the heavier bullets.
    I've run it with 77 gr bullets by the thousands... no kidding. It's a heavy bullets best friend.

Might have to try some with some 50gr zmax.

I also haven't noticed much effect in accuracy with a mild powder charge variance, but I might not be good enough of a shooter to see the difference at the distances I shot ( mainly 100-200 yards ). Have you noticed any other advantages with the non ball powders besides accuracy? I hear people complain about temp sensitivity with ball powders, but for me it has never been a problem at all.
    Temp sensitivity isn't why I favor extrudeds. It's hard carbon fouling and the good accuracy I get out of extruded.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have not. Just 1 lb. I start out a little hot. Ran it with ss109 bullets and liked it for the limited rounds I used it.

Maybe that was my problem, not running hot enough

I've run it with 77 gr bullets by the thousands... no kidding. It's a heavy bullets best friend.

Does it burn cleaner than say h335?

Temp sensitivity isn't why I favor extrudeds. It's hard carbon fouling and the good accuracy I get out of extruded.
    So the extruded stuff leaves a softer fouling? Is it a similar amount just softer?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast