Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of powders do you like for your AR15/Semi autos and why?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's some old school precision shooter advice. We've given our hand loads to riflesmiths, and they've asked if it's ball powder that will ruin their barrel. Now I don't think its' THAT dramatic. But mil testing that I've read (maybe AMU) cited some ball powders leaving hard carbon fouling in the middle area of the barrel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Markm, what kind of load density does the H322 load have with 77gr bullets? I assume with it being a faster powder, that it leaves a bunch of room in the case.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    Markm, what kind of load density does the H322 load have with 77gr bullets? I assume with it being a faster powder, that it leaves a bunch of room in the case.
    This was my thought as well, leaving worry for good burn... But I have heard some guys swear by that load ( h322 with 75ish gr bullet ) and I would not be surprised. I wonder if the slower bullet helps the burn? My most accurate load was about 24grH335 with a 50gr pill gave me consistent sub moa 5 shot groups.
    I haven't messed with match loads for about a year though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The 77 otm or tmk cobble up so much case that the low bulk density of H322 isn't a problem. It just works really well.... and over many different barrel lengths and profiles.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    It really depends on what bullet weight and what I'm trying to accomplish, but TAC is what I use for the majority of it, especially on the progressive presses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As a side note... some slow powders with light (55 gr) bullets can accelerate port erosion on carbine length gas systems. There was a guy on another forum doing metal treatment testing years ago and noted dramatic differences in port erosion with (i think) Varget and 55 gr bullets.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    TAC is one of my favorite powders for a variety of cartridges including AR15’s and AR10’s. Overall good accuracy and standard deviation while just being very easy to work with to include metering, etc. 8208 XBR is my preferred powder for 62, 77 precision loads, however. Very accurate and since I load these by weighing each charge, progressive metering is not a concern. On the other hand, my tests show that TAC varies no more than 0.01 of a grain when thrown from either my RCBS or Hornady progressive throwers, while 8208 XBR will occasionally vary by 0.02 but generally around 0.01-0.15

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I never obsess on my charge variances with the small kernel extruded powders. I know they're there. But it's not hurting accuracy a bit.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    CFE got on my radar as it's becoming the Grendel powder of choice and is widely available.

I use it for all kinds of stuff, it's a very flexible powder. About the only thing I'm not reloading with it is 223, but I know I can if I need to.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    H335 for 55gr training loads as it meters very well through the Dillon. It also produces respectable precision (3.144" n=10) through my 20" scoped rifle. 69 gr MK was wonderful with n540. Only powder were I actually obtained published velocity results (2924 fps).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast