Thread: New Coonan .357 - Anyone taken the plunge?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

New Coonan .357 - Anyone taken the plunge?

I've really been considering taking the plunge on a new Coonan .357 as my next big purchase - there's a master dealer not terribly far from me. Can't find much out there from owners. Anyone here own one? Thoughts? Impressions?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    I've really been considering taking the plunge on a new Coonan .357 as my next big purchase - there's a master dealer not terribly far from me. Can't find much out there from owners. Anyone here own one? Thoughts? Impressions?
    But why? Guess it could be a fun range toy/plinker, but personally, don't see the value other than "just cuz" purchase. I can think of a lot of gun and toys I'd want before a .357 based 1911. For that $, I'd be close enough to be looking at a Wilson 1911, if I were in a 1911 buyin' mood. I don't know the brand well enough to comment if perhaps getting a .45 or even 9mm 1911 would be a solid choice with practical uses as a SD/HD, etc pistol for the $.

I really cool "just cuz" gun would be a .44 Auto Mag perhaps, but that's me.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 10-31-17 at 13:13.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I considered buying one last year and did a lot of research into them and shot one locally.

The thing is a blast to shoot, recoil isn’t too bad. Feels a lot like full power 10MM out of a third gen Smith or similar all metal gun. Loud and will get attention if you’re at a public range. The grip is fairly large and the factory wood is pretty slippery.
    It comes with two sets of recoil springs - one for 357 and one for 38. The guy who owned mine said the 38 was always finicky and needed pretty warm stuff to function well at all. 357 he said he had no problems with (and it ran fine for us). I’ve read online that they prefer heavier bullets but we shot both 125 and 158 without issues. The gun I shot was very well fitted, finished, and cycled butter smooth.

Cons: mags are very expensive and only available from Coonan. The trigger is a hinged trigger vs the straight back action of a ‘normal’ 1911. It’s not a bad trigger by any stretch, but definitely not as good as a quality 1911. It interchanges little with normal 1911s, it’s not the same size and will not share holsters, mag pouches, sights, parts, etc.

I decided the $1500 was better spent on other guns (plural) and ammo. If my only choice was a Coonan or a 357 Deagle, I’d go with the Coonan.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    But why? Guess it could be a fun range toy/plinker, but personally, don't see the value other than "just cuz" purchase. I really cool "just cuz" gun would be a .44 Auto Mag perhaps, but that's me.
    Yeah, no other value than that for me. I've got the handgun/rifle/shotgun staples pretty well covered and I'm not into long-range shooting or custom 1911s, so niche handguns it is for me. A Desert Eagle would probably be less as there's no shortage of used examples, but the Coonan seems like a higher quality piece to me.

Thanks, DirecTo, for the info.

Feedback Score
    I have an original Coonan 357 Magnum.

It handles recoil well. It is quite accurate. Operation and construction is similar to a 1911, in many ways.

The grip is elongated due to the length of the 357 Magnum cartridge. You need longer than average fingers, or large hands.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=WillBrink;2554724]But why? Guess it could be a fun range toy/plinker, but personally, don't see the value other than "just cuz" purchase. I can think of a lot of gun and toys I'd want before a .357 based 1911. For that $, I'd be close enough to be looking at a Wilson 1911, if I were in a 1911 buyin' mood. I don't know the brand well enough to comment if perhaps getting a .45 or even 9mm 1911 would be a solid choice with practical uses as a SD/HD, etc pistol for the $.

I really cool "just cuz" gun would be a .44 Auto Mag perhaps, but that's me.[/QUOTE

Damn echoed my thoughts !

Feedback Score
    I purchased one complete with aluminum grips and a leather OWB holster. It is a great firearm, reliable and naturally accurate in my hands. I have no complaints with it. I've never used the .38 SPC spring but have had no problem with the 357 magnum spring.

Would I carry it for self defense? Sure, why not. It works, is reliable and I consider .357 magnum to be more than adequate.
    "A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion." Proverbs 18:2