Thread: Minimum Time Threshold / Maximum Recovery Threshold

Feedback Score

Minimum Time Threshold / Maximum Recovery Threshold

I was running sprints today, and as I watched the timer on my recovery ticking away, it got me to thinking...

The goal of high intensity interval workouts is twofold: increase work capacity (speed, duration, resistance, power), decrease recovery time.

Hypothesis: training with a methodology that targets and measures both of these criteria would provide meaningful results that could lead to more rapid improvement in both. The idea is simple. Train a given test to a minimum threshold; in the case of sprints, the time taken to go from A to B. Then, train to a maximum recovery interval between work tests as measured one or more standard (heart rate, respiratory rate, time), with each work test that fails to meet the minimum speed threshold as a fail.

What it would look like
    • Set a minimum speed threshold for the test -- ie 5.5 seconds for a 40 yard dash
    • Set the initial recovery to X, then a maximum recovery at Y, using one or more measurements -- ie 45 seconds minimum recovery, 90 seconds maximum recovery, with heart rate at or below 110 BPM
    • Recover to a minimum condition between tests, to a maximum time threshold of Y, until your test times no longer meet the minimum -- ie recovered heart rate @ 110 BPM OR 90 seconds THEN test interval UNTIL total time > 5.5 seconds

What you would need to train
    • A set of timing gates (start, end), likely an infra-red sensor, set up to simultaneous record
    • A stopwatch of some kind
    • Auxiliary measurement tools (heart rate monitor, SP02 measurement, whatever)

What it gives you
    Accountability. First and foremost, you will be accountable to your work output and to the rest times that you are giving yourself during a workout. By measuring the times that each interval takes, you will be able to watch as your performance degrades relative to fatigue. Next, by measuring and setting a cap on your recovery time, you can correlate your performance times relative to your recovery times. If you need better performance, you can increase your recovery threshold times, but by setting a cap, you can:
    • target the metabolic systems involved
    • measure your actual recovery rate as determined by performance
    • empirically determine your weakpoints in either raw speed or in terms of overall work capacity
    • target those weakpoints with consistently measured tasks

For sprinting and max power output, you are looking at targeting tasks at or under a 45-90 second window, redlining your phosphagen & glycogen metabolic systems. For endurance tasks, you can target work sets at 2:00 and beyond, pushing yourself into the aerobic system. Be advised, this particular methodology is better suited for shorter duration, higher total intervals of training, such as 400m runs.

This training methodology would allow an athlete to avoid diminishing returns / over training by clearly indicating the demarcation between the will and the body. One will fail, and by looking at your metrics of test time, recovery time, heart rate, etc., an athlete will be equipped to determine which of the two is lacking. Accountability in training is a big deal to me, as it is the way in which I can recognize when my will is faltering ahead of my body (as so often is the case), and can also provide the positive reinforcement that comes with watching my measurable work capacity increase (more weight on the bar, shorter times, etc.).

An example
    • Test task: 60m Sprint
    • Test Time (max): 8.5 seconds
    • Rest Interval (max): 45 seconds
    • HR @ MaxRest: 120 BPM

Run a series of 8 or 9 intervals with the above conditions, with any sprint test that breaks over 8.5 seconds counted as a fail. Two consecutive failures terminates the test. Your rest interval maxes out at 45 seconds OR the achievement of 120 BPM heart rate. As soon as one or the other occurs, you hit the line and sprint another test interval with a max time of 8.5 seconds. Your goal is the maximum number of scoring intervals, with the lowest rest intervals that you can manage. Trim test time or recovery time dependent on results.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc?
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 10-16-17 at 16:14. Reason: example

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    That's very interesting, and I am sure Will will come along to discuss. He's the SME who needs to parse this out. Prima fascia I like it; I admit I am undercaffeinated and need more time to let this sink in.

I will say with regard to measurement devices, SpO2 is not a good one. If it falls, you have a pathological issue, not an exercise issue.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think the overall premise is a good idea. Having the ability to sprint 20-100m and recover quickly is by far more applicable to first responder and survival fitness in the real world than being able to run a 5k in 15 min.

The only problem I see is the equipment involved, it’s not equipment that is particularly common at most people’s gyms and most people aren’t going to buy it.

I dig the metrics by which you’re measuring the test, but as just that.. a test. As part of a regular training program I would probably modify it, maybe starting out with more rest time and completing all sets of sprints regardless of time, tracking my performance as it decreases and making note for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    ...The only problem I see is the equipment involved, it’s not equipment that is particularly common at most people’s gyms and most people aren’t going to buy it.
    I, too, struggle with that part of the idea. Really, all you need is a good way to measure each individual effort, and a method of tracking your recovery times. A wristwatch with a stopwatch and heart rate monitor would accomplish that easily. The trickier part is being able to time each of your run tests accurately.

The idea behind having some kind of infrared timing gate is that a solo athlete (such as myself) can set up a rig and run these drills without the aid of a coach standing around with a stopwatch in their hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I dig the metrics by which you’re measuring the test, but as just that.. a test. As part of a regular training program I would probably modify it, maybe starting out with more rest time and completing all sets of sprints regardless of time, tracking my performance as it decreases and making note for next time.
    As part of a regular training program, you can just adapt the rest intervals to higher levels. When I was coaching rugby, I did a 'soft', non measured version of this kind of protocol with great effects. We would run a given number of intervals (often 10 x 20s, 5 x 50s, and 2 x 100s), and I would assess the amount of rest time required based on the total time needed to complete the evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman
    I will say with regard to measurement devices, SpO2 is not a good one. If it falls, you have a pathological issue, not an exercise issue.
    This is true; what I was looking for is end tidal CO2, or some other form of measuring respiratory effort / efficiency. The goal is just to have as many varied and valuable objective metrics as possible to choose from. If a given measurement can illuminate a particular energy cycle, or a segment of the recovery cycle, perfect. Heart rate is just super easy to measure.