Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Hits my cheek every once in a while

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This doesn’t make any sense to me.

So I want to keep track of this and see what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Brakes and comps often send blast SIDEWAYS but not directly back at the shooter, sound yes, but particulate matter NO. Yes they make the gun seem louder and all, much louder.. However no comp or brake should ever send actual particulate matter back at the shooter. Never ever, end of story. It's not normal, and if I company says it is normal for their product, their product has a design flaw and should not be used.

If this was a common theme for bcm brakes it would be discussed much more.

Something is wrong and this is not normal.

What if it hit you right in the center of your eye ?
    Or what if it hit one of your family members in the eye?

Feedback Score
    Well, if it's not the brake, then I am at a loss for what could be sending some sort of particle back to more or less the same spot on my left cheek usually one time per range session.

--The upper has been tried out on two lowers, both BCM, and has worked flawlessly with both, but I've experienced the problem with both.
    --The upper is not lubed any more than other uppers I own
    --I use the same ammo I always use

The only variable that is obviously different is that the offending upper has the BCM compensator instead of an A2 flash hider. That's what made me think it might be debris from the compensator (especially possibly a bullet striking the inverted cone inside the brake).

Almost forgot: I talked to a buddy of mine who runs the local gun shop. His wife's rifle has the identical compensator on it and they said that neither one of them had experienced what I have.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 10-17-17 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking gas block/gas tube interface collecting carbon during firing session then launching debris towards the shooter at the beginning of the next shooting session, or vice versa, since this is a known area to vent gas straight back at high velocity outside the rifle.

What handguard are you running? Can you see the gas block/tube hole through it from around where your cheek would be?

On my Fortis railed carbine there is a perfect unobstructed line between my left cheek and gas tube/block hole, right between the handguard cutouts.
    Last edited by Artiz; 10-17-17 at 16:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiz View Post
    I'm thinking gas block/gas tube interface collecting carbon during firing session then launching debris towards the shooter at the beginning of the next shooting session, or vice versa, since this is a known area to vent gas straight back at high velocity outside the rifle.

What handguard are you running? Can you see the gas block/tube hole through it from around where your cheek would be?
    I'm using just standard thin profile plastic handguards.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Call Bcm, ask them if they will replace the brake... But first I would try it with a standard A2 just to make sure the brake is the issue. I bet BCM would replace a defective brake free of charge.

Feedback Score
    I emailed BCM just now to see what their opinion is before I go to the trouble of replacing the brake. I am not all that wedded to the BCM compensator anyway, but before I drive all the way into town and wait while my gunsmith swaps out brakes I want to make sure that's the likely cause.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The was discussion in another thread about the charging handle unlatching briefly during recoil. If your CH is unlatching, gas or something could be making its way through the exposed gap. Try swapping charging handles and see if it goes away.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Interesting thread..my only suggestion I can offer is maybe (if you have a target stand that u can staple some paper to) set up the target stand with paper on the side not facing you. Then setup and shoot with the left side of the rifle up against the right side of the target stand. Start at or near the brake and work your way back firing a shot or two. Check the paper each time as you work your way back to see when you start seeing any material showing up on the paper. That may at least give you the area of "leakage". Do this until you get all the way back to your cheek.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You could also make a 'shield' out of duct tape to attach to charging handle. See if anything hits it. It's very possible that if you are being hit by something that you are also being 'missed' by something on other shots.

But you should be able to make some shields to catch whatever it is. Duct tape and microfiber shields should catch most anything. It won't look pretty but grease will suggest the charging handle area and a scrap of metal the comp.

Dumb question... you are not seeing any sort of crud build-up on the buffer are you. Also I would swap out the bolt carrier and see if the issue moves or remains.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast