Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 224 Valkyrie...newest AR cartridge from Federal

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 09stanggt View Post
    It's this years .300 Blackout. Is this the new method to keep selling ARs? Just introduce a new "must have" caliber per year, lol.
    I think there is a 'there' there. It isn't like it came out of the blue. Accurate long-range rifles have been shrinking the bullet and the case for awhile. 7.62, 7, 6.5, 6 and now 5.5ish. You don't need the 308 case capacity to send a 90gr 224 bullet to the limit for PRS and reasonable barrel life. That you can do it in a MSR/AR platform, all the better. In reality, for what most people are doing, 5.56 would be adequate.

I see this and the 6.5PRC as bookends for that kind of shooting when you are talking modern, commercially available rounds. And I think the key is commercially and available. Maybe they are trying to trick us into buying new guns, like I need that much pushing, but at least they are putting their money where their mouth is.

Of course, with gun sales dipping, it isn't hard to see that the manufacturers are looking for something- and they have the time and resources to do it. Outside of a high-volume round count competition, practice or training it is a pretty sweet round.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    It's this years .300 Blackout. Is this the new method to keep selling ARs? Just introduce a new "must have" caliber per year, lol.
    It's a way to help the industry maintain some consumer interest during a pretty substantial glut in demand brought on by years of panic buying (IMO).

That said, it's great to see continued innovation instead of just cosmetic nonsense and it's always nice to see major manufacturers pick up a wildcat cartridge that has proven potential. I've been a fan of the 6.8 and the Grendel for a while and am excited to give the 224 Valkyrie a try.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Bolt-gun makers have been doing that for years. It kinda makes sense, in a mature-capitalism / consumerist sort of a way. A decently made rifle will last decades, and most people don't care to buy a dozen of the same caliber just because. So introducing new calibers with flashy marketing is a way to spur sales, whether or not they have any practical use.

That said, I think the .224 Valkyrie looks like a good cartridge for realistic competition uses, and for reasonable distance hunting within its size bracket (up to deer).

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I think there is a 'there' there. It isn't like it came out of the blue.
    Agreed. IIRC, the .224 Valk is just the 224x68 rebranded for commercial sale. And the 224x68 has been a known commodity among the 68 wildcat community for a while.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Agreed. IIRC, the .224 Valk is just the 224x68 rebranded for commercial sale. And the 224x68 has been a known commodity among the 68 wildcat community for a while.
    I agree as well. I think this is the 4th version of the same cartridge I've heard discussed. The only difference is that the claimed velocity keeps going down. That being said, I have a Nucleus action coming from ARC with the correct bolt head. And I have wanted a 24" upper in one of the wildcats for some time. I think I am going to wait some time to build one however.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would be interested if LMT made a precision barrel in 224V for the MRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
    I've been shooting and into accurate firearms for over 30 years, and I've never seen any other caliber adopted as fast or as widely as this one! I can't even keep up with all of the firearm makers that have either announced or already started making AR15s chambered in this round! They include: LWRC, LMT, Larue Tactical, Remington, CCMG, JP Enterprises, Savage, Rainier Arms, Mossberg, Barrett, Palmetto State Armory, ... and the list goes on!
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    It's that it commercial, not just special order. People have said they have seen it at local stores. Now, it probably is still there because there aren't many guns out there...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I would be interested if LMT made a precision barrel in 224V for the MRP.
    LMT is going to be making barrels for the 224 Valkyrie, but sadly (and IMHO stupidly) they will be chrome lined (for now). And that isn't what I'd consider or pick for the most accurate barrel.

Feedback Score
    On The Hide, someone posted a letter from JP saying that the barrels that they are putting out right now aren't optimized for the 90gr bullets, and they don't attain the level of accuracy that they require. For the lighter weight, they work great, they say. I don't think that they said the why, or when they'd have it sorted out. Kudos for JP for 1) doing the work to actually see what the performance was and 2) actually telling people instead of putting it out there and expecting most people not to see an issue.

Looks like they are tweaking the design (reamer?) for the next batch?

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    It's that it commercial, not just special order. People have said they have seen it at local stores. Now, it probably is still there because there aren't many guns out there...
    Yeah, I spotted some at my local PSA store about two months ago while looking for 5.45 and 5.56. There was no 5.45, and did not have the 5.56 that I wanted. But at least they had .224Valk, right?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast