Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 224 Valkyrie...newest AR cartridge from Federal

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

224 Valkyrie...newest AR cartridge from Federal

This came across my feed this morning...looks pretty interesting! 6.8 case necked down to .224. Supposed to be supersonic out to 1300 yards (not sure what barrel length they're claiming with that). "Half the recoil" of the 6.5 Creedmoor. This will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Good article too:
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.thefi...ibers-025/amp/
    Last edited by MSparks909; 10-17-17 at 13:31.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    To me, this is a neat cartridge and a really cool idea for a rifle used exclusively as a hunting rifle. The biggest advantage I see is the ability to shoot 90gr SMK’s out of a magazine fed rifle.

That being said, it’s a neat idea but I see this going absolutely no where. It offered nominal performance over a 5.56x45 yet I’m sure ammunition is gong to be substantially more expensive. I foresee that because of the nominal real world gains, most people will skip this cartridge all together and jump to a 6.5mm Grendel if odd ball AR-15 ammunition that offers some performance advantages are their thing. I know I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    This came across my feed this morning...looks pretty interesting! 6.8 case necked down to .224. Supposed to be supersonic out to 1300 yards (not sure what barrel length they're claiming with that). "Half the recoil" of the 6.5 Creedmoor. This will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Good article too:
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.thefi...ibers-025/amp/
    I have been shooting a wildcat (5.56x42)very similar to this for 10 years. It will push 80gr Bergers to 3000fps out of 20" barrels. I think realistically a 90gr will only hit 3000 if shot from a 24" barrel. That is still 200-250fps more than a 5.56x45. Larues 12" may hit 2650 with the same 90gr. Ballistics show it will out shoot the Grendel and the 308 at long range using 80s or 90s. IMO the 62 and 64gr bonded bullets at 3350+ are the best hunting bullets with this cartridge.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    To me, this is a neat cartridge and a really cool idea for a rifle used exclusively as a hunting rifle. The biggest advantage I see is the ability to shoot 90gr SMK’s out of a magazine fed rifle.

That being said, it’s a neat idea but I see this going absolutely no where. It offered nominal performance over a 5.56x45 yet I’m sure ammunition is gong to be substantially more expensive. I foresee that because of the nominal real world gains, most people will skip this cartridge all together and jump to a 6.5mm Grendel if odd ball AR-15 ammunition that offers some performance advantages are their thing. I know I would.
    Federal doesn't usually back duds, so I would assume ATK is behind this pretty well.

To me, this is a terrific paper-punching long range cartridge. This has better in-flight ballistics, in terms of drop and wind drift, than any .308 Win cartridge by a lot, and minor benefits over most of the 6.5's. At the same time it's a smaller case, uses less powder and a smaller, lower cost bullet. I'm thinking F-class for this, in a suitable bolt action.

The major drawback I see is the likely fast barrel erosion from lots of powder in a small bore, but this is true of all comparable cartridges.

This would also let you set up an AR-15 with the ability to readily, and reliably, hit targets at 1000 yards, letting you bypass all the size, weight, cost and incompatibilities of the .308-sized AR platform. I'm not sure you can do any real damage at 1000 yards with this, but for paper or steel, it's a nice option.

As a secondary role this would be a viable hunting cartridge at 300-500 yards on appropriate game - like pronghorn and white tails - with very little recoil, and again letting you use an AR-15 if so inclined. I am constantly reading people's questions for "what cartridge for my wife/son/daughter to start hunting but is recoil shy?" There are already many good answers to that, but this adds one more.

6.5 Grendel isn't that close in terms of flat trajectory, and more importantly it has a major durability flaw - too large a case head for an AR-15 bolt. 6.8 SPC seems to have the largest case head that is compatible with a durable AR-15 bolt, and so this uses that bolt head size.

I currently use a .308 Win for F-class, but by now it's somewhere between dated and anachronistic for serious long range accuracy. I was figuring I'd be buying a 6.5 Creedmoor in the near future, but if I see ammunition availability and a decent rifle for .224 Valkyrie, I could easily go that route instead. Again, this is paper punching.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I think its a cool idea, but expect it to go nowhere. Most new calibers fail commercially, and Federal's other new offerings appear to be dying slowly.

I would definitely consider it for a long range gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I think its a cool idea, but expect it to go nowhere. Most new calibers fail commercially, and Federal's other new offerings appear to be dying slowly.

I would definitely consider it for a long range gun.
    I don't think it will be a major player but everyone likes different things. The reason I made one 10 years ago was to practice long range shooting. I shoot by myself so I don't have a spotter calling shots. There is very little recoil so I can watch the impact on steels or P dogs when it's 300yds +. Turned out to be a great P dog and yote round too. 55s hit 3400+, 62-64s 3300+ 80s 3000fps all out of a 20" barrel. I think the Valkyrie has less case capacity so it isn't as fast.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This has my attention. I assume this would have to go on a 308 lower?

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy View Post
    This has my attention. I assume this would have to go on a 308 lower?
    This is for the AR15 system. Necked down 6.8 case. See article in OP.

Feedback Score
    http://i67.tinypic.com/14kl84k.jpg

One is much older than the other...

Feedback Score
    This would be really interesting for my son looking at long range PRS and Semi competitions. I was thinking 6mm Creedmore and the Ruger Precision Rifle comes in .223, so maybe a barrel swap or preferably a factory one would be really interesting. Be able to have long range capable AR-15 and short action bolt gun ammo in one cartridge.

Target rounds have been getting smaller and smaller .308-6.5-6mm, so I guess this is just the next step. Even if it is a barrel burner, that just makes the experiment shorter.

Eventually PRS is going to put a kinetic energy or some kind of limit I think to bring back larger rounds.

Color me interested, and I have been on a strict caliber count diet lately. 9mm, 5.56, 22lr.

I’m mainly interested in factory ammo, but some solid bullets like Warner has been bringing out would be really interesting for pushing this to the edge of the envelope.

That 1300 yard figure might be at altitude and temp, which I’m fine with .
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 11-23-17 at 12:58.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast