Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 224 Valkyrie...newest AR cartridge from Federal

Feedback Score
    The Army just adopted 6.8 (SPC?). Wonder what that portends for the 224V...
    I can't think of anything witty or profound to put here.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Hopefully PMAGS. They made them for LWRC, not sure why they can't for the rest of us. The PRI mags are supposed to be the best, but no anti-tilt followers make them a major liability. I've had feed issues with both the 15 and 25 round PRI mags. The GenII Barrett 30 round mags are decent but they are like having an AK47 banana mag. Now I just run the ASC 15 round mags because they are the only thing that seem to be 100% reliable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    There are a lot of bad barrels out there. Bad meaning chambered with reamers that were not to SAAMI spec. IF you decide to get a Valkyrie BE SURE it has the SAAMI spec chamber. 90gr SMKs should touch the lands around 2.276 in a SAAMI spec chamber. If they do not touch until 2.325" the chamber is not SAAMI spec and you'll have a hard time loading long enough to get decent accuracy except with shorter nosed bullets.
    Ok good stuff thank you. I'm still waiting on the periphery watching these ammo/rifle issues sort themselves out. I hope 224 sorts out and sticks around, but who knows.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post
    The Army just adopted 6.8 (SPC?). Wonder what that portends for the 224V...
    No. The Army has asked a few companies to design a new cartridge around a 6.8 bullet that meets certain criteria. The requirements are not just to present a conventional brass cased ammo. The Army wants a dramatic weight savings and Trexton is part of the program so poly cased telescopic ammo will be evaluated as part of the program. Other companies have have different designs to meet criteria. To achieve the profit lance the Army wants it will likely be similar to a WSM in power. The result will be something completely different than 6.8 SPC and it is still a fair bit away from adoption.

SOCOM did adopt the 6.5Creedmoor. This will be fielded much faster. Neither Brigham has any affect upon the .224Val and neither will work in an AR15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Out of a 24" you should be able to push 80gr ELds to 3000fps with 25gr H4895. With the velocity you can get out of the 88s, 90s and 95s they will not catch up to the 80s. The 80s will have less drop and drift and they are easier to find an accurate load for. If the X-caliber has a SAAMI length freebore try the 80s around 2.285" OAL. There are some new bullets in the works for early 2019 but we can't say anything specific yet.
    Thanks Constructor, just finished building it after putting a new roof on my daughter's house and rehabbing a bathroom at my son's new place. Just got the tools from hornady to check to ogive. Later

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have been successful with this cartridge out to about 800 yards. I like it because it is accurate and has less than half the recoil of my 308. And cheaper to shoot, too.

I have the upper listed in the BST forum, only because I lost my range to shoot. If I can't trade it I might just throw the upper in the safe and get a carbine upper.

Feedback Score
    Dear JP customer,

If you are receiving this email, it means your current order for one of our JP Supermatch™ barrels in .224 Valkyrie is eligible for fulfilment in our first production run. But, because of the unforeseen complications of developing barrels for a brand new caliber like this, we wanted to contact you before completing your order.

After final testing of these barrels, we have discovered that accuracy specific to 90gr. Sierra Match King and the 90gr. Fusion hunting ammo is only mediocre. These results are not up to the JP standard, and as such, we cannot honor our accuracy guarantee with this 90gr. ammunition.

However, the Federal varmint load using the 60gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip and our personal test loads using 77gr. Sierra Tipped Match Kings shot well from these barrels. With the 77gr. Tipped Match Kings, we achieved maximum velocities in the 3000 ft/s range. This compromise of utilizing lighter projectiles with much higher MV and slightly lower BC may actually result in higher hit probabilities within the effective range of the cartridge. This is particularly the case with unknown distance targets.

At this point, we want to offer you the choice of confirming your order and receiving one of these first JP .224 Valkyrie barrels. Alternately, you may opt to wait for our next run of barrels with further design changes to improve the performance of the 90gr. bullets. The choice comes down to your choice of application and ammo.

Please respond to this email with your preference.

If you choose to wait, your order will still be fulfilled in the order it was received as soon as the new barrels arrive and are tested. If you choose to wait, we expect to ship your order sometime in May.

Sincerely,

JP Customer service team
    Here's an interesting video that showcases .224 Valkyrie performance from a bolt gun, but with a gas gun in the foreground during discussion about the bolt gun's performance at 1 Mile.

There are shooters getting bughole groups with the 90gr SMK Federal Gold Medal Match load with Craddock 1/6.5" twist barrels, but I see them mentioning single loading.

For mag-fed groups, JP and other upper tier companies have been seeing strange things happen accuracy-wise with the 90gr SMK factory load. Not sure if this is a PTG reamer strikes again issue, or what.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910