Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Commander 1911 for CCW, Help Me Choose!

Feedback Score
    s&w 1911sc super accurate very light and they just work.

Feedback Score
    Colt Wiley Clapp!
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Tn is right. Colt Wiley Clapp is the best out of the box option, and you get a Colt.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Ok I carry the a Ruger SR1911, in 45 ACP. Have carried it for 2 years now. An amazing firearm. I have never been a believer in buying a brand new firearm and then sending to a smith to add lots of bells and whistles. My view,do the research,which you are, decide on the feature set you need test drive the final candidates and buy the gun. The Ruger is a beast, I have trying for two years to get it to FTE, no dice. It eats steel cased , aluminum cased and brass ammo, FMJ and JHP. No matter what I throw down it's throat it yawns and sends it down range. After two years the only thing I plan on doing to it is night sights. Just plain doesn't need anything else. It just runs. I have no experience with the 9mm version but I run into SR 1911 owner's all over and no one complains about it. Next on my list has list is a Colt Defender. That little guy is a blast to shoot, easier to conceal once the Defender is here the Ruger take duties as my open carry sidearm while I bow hunt. I would not worry about either Ruger or Colt. Good luck.
    Just trying to get a straight answer in a twisted world.
    Colt LE SOCOM 6920 5.56
    Ruger SR1911 Commander .45
    Marlin 1895 GBL .45/70
    Marlin Golden 39M Mountie .22
    CVA Wolf Smokepole .50
    Remington 870 Express Magnum Scatter gun 12ga (project)

Feedback Score
    I'd choose between the Colt and the Colt Clapp version.

They just look the best and less "custom" looking than some of the others. As good a shot at quality than the others, too.

2nd choice the Ruger, third the S.A.

I'd prefer one in .38, but this is for you not me.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The Dan Wessons are a no brainer here if you have the budget. They are far and away better then the other guns listed in terms of build quality. If you can get past their styling, STI also makes a very nice 9mm 1911. The general rules with 1911's is once you move away from the 5" barrel design you begin to compromise reliability to a point. The same goes with moving to 9mm. A commander sized 1911 in 9mm contains both of these liabilities. Some will run, some won't. A good 1911 smith might be your best friend.
    "The only defense against violent evil people are good people who are more skilled at violence" - Rory Miller

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Actually if you want a smaller 1911 the 9mms are much more reliable. I have a officers model made by STI that runs better than most 5 inch .45s.

Quote Originally Posted by RCI1911 View Post
    The Dan Wessons are a no brainer here if you have the budget. They are far and away better then the other guns listed in terms of build quality. If you can get past their styling, STI also makes a very nice 9mm 1911. The general rules with 1911's is once you move away from the 5" barrel design you begin to compromise reliability to a point. The same goes with moving to 9mm. A commander sized 1911 in 9mm contains both of these liabilities. Some will run, some won't. A good 1911 smith might be your best friend.
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only one I have any experience with is the Colt lightweight Commander. Very enjoyable to shoot and so far, hasn't had any reliability issues. For reference, I have a Colt Competition 9mm and Sti lawman in 9mm available to shoot as well and I don't find the LW much worse to shoot.

That said, I have looked over a number of the DW's and they do seem to be very nicely built but I've never shot one.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't understand the "Commanders are less reliable" thing... I've owned several, and still own one. Never had an issue. Colt Light Weight is still one of my favorites. I missed my old CLW .45 so much I picked up a cerokoted beater, and I love it.

Don't know why, maybe holster, but it carries better than my Walthers (ppq/p99).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Potss View Post
    This is an offshoot of my thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...new-CCW-pistol! Read it and you will understand what is going on. TL;DR is that I'm looking to EDC a 1911 as I shoot them better than any handgun out there essentially. A Kimber Ultra CDP performed best for me with a very broken in trigger, it felt amazing but the grip was too short. Even so it out shot everything else. So now I'm looking for the best 1911 I can find for CCW. The requirements are:

- Commander sized or similar (officer is too small in the hand, full size is too long in the holster).

- 9mm.

- accuracy>everything else as this is a CCW gun. However I will say that if the accuracy and trigger aren't great, I'm not sure why I'd get a 1911, so I'm willing to spend more for that. To reiterate, that Kimber I shot was amazing, outrunning my Cajun CZ P-01 from an officer frame. If I knew one (or all) of these 1911s would perform out of the box like that Kimber did, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. So, which would you pick and why given my constraints? Can I get away with the Ruger or do I need to spend DW money to get what I want? Does it make more sense to get a DW or buy something like the SA RO Elite and get it tuned with the extra $400 I would have spent on the DW? Is Kimber such a QC crap shoot that it is best avoided even at the price point? Am I missing any 1911s that should be on the list?

Thanks for your help and suggestions. And I'm still looking for a smith that can mount an RMR if anyone has suggestions on that, Fusion Firearms at $130 for the cut and a 10 day turn around is the current smith to beat.
    My CDR 1911 is a 1991A1. Caliber .45. Never had a problem with it. I have now switched to the G19 gen5

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by quino171; 12-26-17 at 18:34.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast