Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Commander 1911 for CCW, Help Me Choose!

Feedback Score

A Commander 1911 for CCW, Help Me Choose!

This is an offshoot of my thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...new-CCW-pistol! Read it and you will understand what is going on. TL;DR is that I'm looking to EDC a 1911 as I shoot them better than any handgun out there essentially. A Kimber Ultra CDP performed best for me with a very broken in trigger, it felt amazing but the grip was too short. Even so it out shot everything else. So now I'm looking for the best 1911 I can find for CCW. The requirements are:

- Commander sized or similar (officer is too small in the hand, full size is too long in the holster).

- 9mm.

- <32oz unloaded (lighter the better).

- <$1500 (The more I save, the more I can shoot).

With that in mind, I've spent a lot of time researching and I think I've found all of the qualifying candidates, which are as follows (all in 9mm of course, organized from least to most expensive according to slickguns):

1.) Kimber Pro Carry II for $605.

2.) Ruger SR1911 6722 for $655.

3.) Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite Champion 9mm (what a name) for $850.

4.) Colt Lightweight Commander for $890.

5.) Colt Clapp LW Commander $990.

5.) Springfield EMP 4in for $930.

6.) Dan Wesson Valkyre Commander for $1290.

7.) Dan Wesson Guardian for $1305.

Of the list I've only shot the Kimber's smaller borther and the Colt LW, and I will not be able to shoot any of the others before I make my decision unfortunately. Priorities are obviously reliability>speed>accuracy>everything else as this is a CCW gun. However I will say that if the accuracy and trigger aren't great, I'm not sure why I'd get a 1911, so I'm willing to spend more for that. To reiterate, that Kimber I shot was amazing, outrunning my Cajun CZ P-01 from an officer frame. If I knew one (or all) of these 1911s would perform out of the box like that Kimber did, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. So, which would you pick and why given my constraints? Can I get away with the Ruger or do I need to spend DW money to get what I want? Does it make more sense to get a DW or buy something like the SA RO Elite and get it tuned with the extra $400 I would have spent on the DW? Is Kimber such a QC crap shoot that it is best avoided even at the price point? Am I missing any 1911s that should be on the list?

Thanks for your help and suggestions. And I'm still looking for a smith that can mount an RMR if anyone has suggestions on that, Fusion Firearms at $130 for the cut and a 10 day turn around is the current smith to beat.

Feedback Score
    I’m not a 1911 guy, but I know several. They are all strong believers that if you really want a great running 1911, you find a very good 1911 smithy in your area, who can tune the gun the way you want it. That way, you buy the SA, Colt, Kimber, etc. with the features you want, and after you shoot it a while, the smithy puts the tune on it for ya. Kinda like your CGW CZ...

Otherwise, you pay up for a gun that comes that way, as in a DW or a Wilson Combat.

Again, philosophy that was given to me by several long time 1911 shooters, so take it as typical inter web gun forum advice.

Good luck...
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 10-18-17 at 05:37.

Feedback Score
    OP

I carry a bone stock $890.(9 yrs ago) SS COLT Commander .45ACP and I've been shooting it a lot for those 9 yrs.! I had my 1st FTE last week, Not bad IMHO for thousands and Thousands of rounds through her during this time and have Never changed a thing!
    FWIW: The 1st FTE happened and then a 2nd time alittle while later during the same shoot... Turns out, the FTEs happened with the same mag., so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes next time out. LOL I see a Mag. Spring swap in the near future.
    All this to tell you, unless 9mm is something of a completely different animal of a 1911>?
    I don't understand when I hear (quite often) that you'll need a gunsmith to get it run for you..? As for a .45ACP I'll call that complete BS.. As My COLT and Caspian run without problems while I am shooting them!

IF there is a Shooting range around you, You might try going and renting the fire arms you're looking at, test and see how they work for you...?

Peace Jeff

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    For me personally:

1. Dan Wesson (either of the ones you listed)
    2. Springfield Range officer
    3. Colt (either of the listed models)
    4. Ruger
    5. Kimber

The EMP is interesting, but not really a 1911. While working at a gun store kimber was the second most returned to manufacturer gun (only taurus beat it out) and of the two I have owned I see the same issues (hammer falls but no bang due to badly fitted beavertail not disengaging the firing pin safety). Colt is listed as 3, but my recently purchased Delta cost a lot of money for a gun that did not function as well as it should have out of the box.
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    For me personally:

1. Dan Wesson (either of the ones you listed)
    2. Springfield Range officer
    3. Colt (either of the listed models)
    4. Ruger
    5. Kimber

The EMP is interesting, but not really a 1911. While working at a gun store kimber was the second most returned to manufacturer gun (only taurus beat it out) and of the two I have owned I see the same issues (hammer falls but no bang due to badly fitted beavertail not disengaging the firing pin safety). Colt is listed as 3, but my recently purchased Delta cost a lot of money for a gun that did not function as well as it should have out of the box.
    I'll second the comment about Kimbers getting returned alot. When I worked at a gunstore we had quite a few Kimbers that never made it to the shelf due to scant-fit safeties, or non-functioning grip safeties, and a lot of them that went out the door then right back to Kimber for malfunctions.
    I don't know anything about Ruger 1911s.
    Colt is Colt, if it's got the features you want, probably not a bad choice.
    Carrying a Springfield Custom Carry right now, my 3rd Springfield. Always been happy with them though i've never tried one of their 9mms (My EMP didn't count)
    Dan Wesson is probably one of the highest quality 1911s you can get from a manufacturer without being a full-blown custom.
    Got to shoot a range master's Dan Wesson in 9mm and it was one smooth shooting gun. I wouldn't hesitate on one of theirs....now you've got me looking at the Valor Commander in 9mm....

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Not a Kimber fan here after getting an expensive lemon. I have an EMP4 and love it. 10 round factory mags that work. Stainless slide with aluminum frame so no real rust concern from daily carry. Nice chain link type front strap and it comes with thin grips. Most of us change grips so you can get standard 1911 thickness grips if wanted. Also Springfield customer service if you need it. Good luck with your choice. David

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Glock 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Glock 19.
    This. Use that money you'd be wasting on a $1500 1911 to get 3x glock 19s OR one Glock 19 w/ RMR plus a few cases of ammo.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    +3 Glock 19

Who carries steel frames anymore? Heavy!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Who carries steel frames anymore? Heavy!
    Who carries steel framed commanders??? I don't!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast