Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Commander 1911 for CCW, Help Me Choose!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I actually picked up a ruger yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. The gun was very light compared to anything else in that size and it was used (the guy that owned it previously maybe put 50 rounds through it) so I saved a few pennies. Shooting the gun it really blew me away. The trigger is ok, and parts fit is a little hit or miss, but even if I upgrade the sights, beavertail and trigger this gun would still cost less than a colt off the line which would probably need the same work. I put about 400 rounds of various weights and types (147 grain flat nose, 124 grain ball, 124 grain +P gold dots and some 115 grain ball) all having no issues. The one thing that threw me off was the recoil spring weight felt very light. I expected the gun to beat me up a little bit, but it almost felt compensated with how little it recoiled. I had a few other firearms instructors shoot it and they felt the same way. Honestly I would have never given the ruger a second look, but I am glad I did.
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Cant go wrong with a Guardian. Very light with a good holster and belt.

Feedback Score
    I picked up a 1970's Combat Commander recently.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have an older Hoag "Combat Commander" (pre 80) I picked up decades ago.
    I replaced the Swenson ambi with a stock Colt part. Other than finding leather, or having it made- no problems with the gun.

Feedback Score
    my go to 1911 is a series 80, converted to 70, Colt lightweight commander. my buddy tricked out mine with parts from several mgf. i had kicking around. for future reference, don't ask a gunsmith to do this for you... he calls it my franken gun. i also have a series 70, combat commander in 9mm, so all steel, all factory except a barsto bbl and novacs. love my colts for carry. i'd go for a new xse colt if i were to buy a new one.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I have an older Hoag "Combat Commander" (pre 80) I picked up decades ago.
    I replaced the Swenson ambi with a stock Colt part. Other than finding leather, or having it made- no problems with the gun.

Very nice looking gun.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pacecars View Post
    Late to the party as usual but my 2 cents say to go with the DW Guardian. I did quite a bit of research before deciding on which 1911 to get for every day carry. I went with the Guardian in .38 Super. I have always been a 10mm fan and had a DW CBob many years ago and have regretted selling it in a fit of stupidity. I wanted to be different and try a new caliber and since I have always been intrigued by the Super I decided a 1911 in the Super .38 was the way to go. To be honest the Guardian was actually the only choice since it is the only production gun that met the criteria I had decided on for my every day carry gun. I wanted a lightweight commander with a bobtailed grip and the Guardian has all those features plus a stainless steel slide, front strap checkering, DW's Duty Treat finish and night sights. No one had one any where near me to fondle so I had to go on faith. I finally found one for just over $1300 and ordered it. I have broken it in according to DW's instructions and it has been flawless since day 1. It has fed everything I have put in it from ball to hollow points and hard cast WFN bullets. It is accurate and recoil is very controllable. I have put a little over 500 rounds through it and feel comfortable carrying it every day now. It is light enough to carry all day and disappears under a t-shirt in a Kelley Gun Leather Cleve IWB holster, which is great in our lovely north Florida heat and humidity. The duty finish is great with all the sweat it comes in contact with. It has been flawless right out of the box. The original plan was to replace the factory grips with VZ Grips but so far I have kept the originals since they look good and actually eel good in my hand. I think Dan Wesson 1911s in general and the Guardian in particular are the best value and most bang for the buck in not only 9111s but all auto pistols.
    .38 super is essentially a +p++ 9mm. It generates about another 100 or 125 fps over the 9. The case headspaces on the rim so unless your gun is a more modern one with mouth headspacing, bullseye accuracy is inherently compromised. Ammo is comparatively expensive, selection is limited, and it won't do anything to bad guys that 9 can't do. All that being said, I know someone who carries a combat commander for EDC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    .38 super is essentially a +p++ 9mm. It generates about another 100 or 125 fps over the 9. The case headspaces on the rim so unless your gun is a more modern one with mouth headspacing, bullseye accuracy is inherently compromised. Ammo is comparatively expensive, selection is limited, and it won't do anything to bad guys that 9 can't do. All that being said, I know someone who carries a combat commander for EDC.
    The 38 super has not been chambered to headspace on the rim in a long time. If you get one of the older colts this is a definite possibility, but any modern gun, especially a DW will not have this issue and the accuracy will be on par with any other 1911.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    The 38 super has not been chambered to headspace on the rim in a long time. If you get one of the older colts this is a definite possibility, but any modern gun, especially a DW will not have this issue and the accuracy will be on par with any other 1911.
    I agree. I have a late 2012 Colt .38 super that has been great accuracy and reliability wise. Cheap factory super can be found, I've bought Armscore @ roughly $14/50. Save your brass and start reloading. Even the cheap ammo sends a 124-130 gr bullet down range between 1100 - 1200fps. I get best accuracy with a 124gr. at close to 1200.

I am on a one man crusade to make the super more popular so I can get the brass....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I agree. I have a late 2012 Colt .38 super that has been great accuracy and reliability wise. Cheap factory super can be found, I've bought Armscore @ roughly $14/50. Save your brass and start reloading. Even the cheap ammo sends a 124-130 gr bullet down range between 1100 - 1200fps. I get best accuracy with a 124gr. at close to 1200.

I am on a one man crusade to make the super more popular so I can get the brass....
    I'm right there with you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345