Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Commander 1911 for CCW, Help Me Choose!

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I hope you get the CLAPP! Of course I'm referring to the Colt Wiley Clapp Commander model.

Feedback Score
    Springfield EMP 9mm. A very well designed 1911 9mm that does what it was designed to do, and does it well.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    While I carry steel frame Baer CVll (Commander) and a Wilson "Professional"- they both required some work before they went in the Carry Holster.
    I do my own work on 1911's so it wasn't a big deal.

If I was buying a gun that WOULD NOT (likely) require work, in the OP's price range it would be a Dan Wesson.
    I have been impressed with them.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The EMP was designed as a 9mm and I think that has a lot of merit. I really like the Sig 938 myself its really compact and has some improvements over the old war horse. No plunger tube, no barrel bushing, not grip safety those are all crappy things that the 1911 has issues with. Just an opinion. Personally I think if Sig made a more full size 938 id be a big seller.

The EMP is cool cause its been resized for the 9mm, rather than just rechambered 45. Everyone makes a 9mm 1911 so I guess they got a lot of the bugs out.

I like Rugers offer too.

Ed

Feedback Score
    Dan Wesson is adding a new series of pistols this Spring, or so I've read.

Vigil series. It will include lightweight commander models in .45 and 9mm. It appears to be priced a good bit lower than existing models. Like a MSRP around $1300. Feature set looks pretty great but for the lack of a magwell although many wouldn't want that anyway on a commander sized gun intended for concealed carry.

http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/vigil-commander/
    Last edited by JHC; 01-19-18 at 07:17.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    My last Kimber experience, or any other 1911, goes back about 15 years. At that time the Kimber was a good gun. You say you had one that was excellent. The Kimber is the most economical of your list leaving the most money for ammo and range time. Based on prior experience I'd probably go with the Kimber. If it's a dud you can sell it and recover most of your money.

That said, there's the upcoming Glock 19X next week that could be very interesting.

Good luck with your decision(s).
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    Late to the party as usual but my 2 cents say to go with the DW Guardian. I did quite a bit of research before deciding on which 1911 to get for every day carry. I went with the Guardian in .38 Super. I have always been a 10mm fan and had a DW CBob many years ago and have regretted selling it in a fit of stupidity. I wanted to be different and try a new caliber and since I have always been intrigued by the Super I decided a 1911 in the Super .38 was the way to go. To be honest the Guardian was actually the only choice since it is the only production gun that met the criteria I had decided on for my every day carry gun. I wanted a lightweight commander with a bobtailed grip and the Guardian has all those features plus a stainless steel slide, front strap checkering, DW's Duty Treat finish and night sights. No one had one any where near me to fondle so I had to go on faith. I finally found one for just over $1300 and ordered it. I have broken it in according to DW's instructions and it has been flawless since day 1. It has fed everything I have put in it from ball to hollow points and hard cast WFN bullets. It is accurate and recoil is very controllable. I have put a little over 500 rounds through it and feel comfortable carrying it every day now. It is light enough to carry all day and disappears under a t-shirt in a Kelley Gun Leather Cleve IWB holster, which is great in our lovely north Florida heat and humidity. The duty finish is great with all the sweat it comes in contact with. It has been flawless right out of the box. The original plan was to replace the factory grips with VZ Grips but so far I have kept the originals since they look good and actually eel good in my hand. I think Dan Wesson 1911s in general and the Guardian in particular are the best value and most bang for the buck in not only 9111s but all auto pistols.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    +3 Glock 19

Who carries steel frames anymore? Heavy!

I have two near new Wiley Clapp Commanders that I'm dumping for full size Series 70 steel frame guns.

Feedback Score
    Colt everything else is just an imitation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My personal selection was #4 from your list. With that said, anything on that list except Kimber would do just fine.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast