Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What replacement sights for Glock Gen 5?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My G17.5 came with the Ameriglo night sights and they are definitely a bit taller than previous generation Glock OEM sights.
    I have also installed standard Glock night sights and Trijicon's (6.5mm rear) out of curiosity and can confirm that they are both POA/POI, just like previous generations. Not sure about Mepro's, I didn't get around to swapping them over yet but I do know the Mepro rear is a bit taller than the standard 6.5mm.
    The Gen.5 OEM plastic sights are definitely tad taller than previous generations and have a wider rear notch. It really doesn't matter that they are taller because both the front and rear are taller, so they align properly.
    A good example of sight height can be found on the Dawson Precision page, I can't explain it near as well as they do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    For those who may not have closely examined the new G17Gen5 and G19Gen5, mine have the same front sight as current previous generations. On a side note referring to Post#37 of a front sight being "shot off". Old Glock front sights did not usually use a screw. They either were staked on; or used a pin to expand the front sight base. Glock front sights are now secured with a screw coming up through the slide from the bottom. Whether the screw-on method is stronger-or-not might be debatable, it definitely allows for easier removal, replacement, or re-use of the front sight. The current polymer Glock front sight is #6956.
    Thanks for posting this. I would never have thought to look and see if they changed the sights and the way they are mounted. Yes, the one I shot off was one that relied on the pinned-to-expand method. IIRC that sight was a little wobbly in its mount even before it went flying.

Based on your post, I may just keep the OEM sights for a while. The other main beef, holster wear, might have been improved upon also if they started making the sights from the same polymer as the frame. I frankly don't know if they do or do not.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
    My G17.5 came with the Ameriglo night sights and they are definitely a bit taller than previous generation Glock OEM sights.
    I have also installed standard Glock night sights and Trijicon's (6.5mm rear) out of curiosity and can confirm that they are both POA/POI, just like previous generations. Not sure about Mepro's, I didn't get around to swapping them over yet but I do know the Mepro rear is a bit taller than the standard 6.5mm.
    The Gen.5 OEM plastic sights are definitely tad taller than previous generations and have a wider rear notch. It really doesn't matter that they are taller because both the front and rear are taller, so they align properly.
    A good example of sight height can be found on the Dawson Precision page, I can't explain it near as well as they do.
    I just measured a Gen5 and Gen4 side by side with OEM plastic sights.

Gen5 Front .145”
    Rear .185”

Gen4 front .145”
    Rear .165”
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-20-17 at 17:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I just measured a Gen5 and Gen4 side by side with OEM plastic sights.

Gen5 Front .145”
    Rear .185”

Gen4 front .140”
    Rear .165”
    Would that be enough to notice a "significant" difference in POA if you installed Gen 4 height sights on a Gen 5, or are those few thousands/hundredths of an inch not even going to be noticed for the most part.

EDITED TO ADD:

Let me clarify. Obviously there would be difference, but for practical accuracy would it translate to a difference in "inches" of POA, or just "fractions of an inch" in POA?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 10-20-17 at 17:01.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    The following formula can be used to determine front sight height or rear sight height height for that matter, like if you mix and match different brands of front and rear sights. http://stores.kensight.com/front-sight-height-guide/

Feedback Score
    Here are photos of the stock Glock polymer sights on my G19Gen5. The photos depict the "6.1" and the shorter width of the rear sight.
    Last edited by L-2; 10-20-17 at 20:00.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Would that be enough to notice a "significant" difference in POA if you installed Gen 4 height sights on a Gen 5, or are those few thousands/hundredths of an inch not even going to be noticed for the most part.

EDITED TO ADD:

Let me clarify. Obviously there would be difference, but for practical accuracy would it translate to a difference in "inches" of POA, or just "fractions of an inch" in POA?
    That is an excellent question and my gut says that it will affect it significantly (in handgun terms) at 25y. Certainly from a POA with the front sight bisecting the target (how I like it) to perhaps a 6:00 hold.

I will say this - right now my Gen5 shoots exactly to POA POI at 25y. I want to keep it that way. I do not see how switching to Gen4 height aftermarket sights would retain that.

Feedback Score
    My experience with oem Glock sights on gen 3 and 4 pistols have always seemed to impact a few inches high from point of aim at 25 yards requiring more of a 6 o clock hold. My gen 5 17 seemed to be much closer to poa/poi at 25 with the plastic sights. I did install Proctor y notch sights on it and they also seem to be poa/poi. Just my experience anyways with a sample size of one gen 5 pistol.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    AmeriGlo GL -947 or GL-847

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe I should start my own thread to ask this question but this seems as good a place as any since it’s already about Glock sights. Who here has actually seen with their own eyes a set of stock Glock sights break?I mean you saw it, you were there. It happened to you or a friend and you have first hand knowledge of it. Not something you read on a forum or heard about from some you tuber. I ask because I have recently acquired a gen 5 19 and a gen 5 26. I’ve already purchased new sights for them because that’s what everyone says you’re supposed to do, that and I had Amazon points to burn. But I can’t help wondering just how necessary it is to replace them. I’ve had both guns to the range with the stock plastic sights and I shot rather well with them, and I didn’t really mind the goal post and dot arrangement like I thought I would. Reading through this thread I see where some people are considering leaving the plastic sights on, and others consider that to be foolish. I just wonder where the whole “you have to replace them first thing” deal came from. Thanks.
    Last edited by Chipper78; 02-24-18 at 18:47.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast