Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What replacement sights for Glock Gen 5?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_O View Post
    I have three gen5 G17s and two gen5 19s. I have used Heinie, Ameriglo Defoor, Dawson and meprolight sights on them. All of the mentioned sights are marketed and sold as gen3/ gen4 sights and all have shot poa/ poi.
    Defoors are pretty sweet. I have not owned a set but have shot with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Full disclosure: I didn't get out the calipers and measure my front sight, but shooting the pistol for the first time I thought the sight picture was "different" somehow and I kept looking at it thinking, "Are the sights taller or is there more light on either side of the front sight making it look taller?" Could be either one.

Could just be my perception. Since I don't keep track of what sights Glock installs on which pistols it wouldn't have done me any good to look for markings on the sights themselves. Since I've installed XS Big Dots on my other Glocks I couldn't exactly compare two pistols side-by-side either.

It's good to know what other people are putting on their Gen 5's though, just to establish the knowledge base. We've already seen from another thread and on other boards that the pistols seem to be zeroed better in a lot of cases with the rear sight drifted to the right a hair. Mine is.

The point is I'm assuming sights made for previous generations will be fine for the Gen 5 but then again it's good to get multiple reports one way or another.
    I can promise you that the sight picture on the factory G19.1-4 is significantly different than the G19.5. The sights are also very different. It’s not just your perception.

I might get the calipers out and measure the sight height with OEM plastics on a Gen4 and 5 and see if there is a difference.

The OEM Gen5 plastic sights are so good that I have considered leaving them on permanently.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I can promise you that the sight picture on the factory G19.1-4 is significantly different than the G19.5. The sights are also very different. It’s not just your perception.

I might get the calipers out and measure the sight height with OEM plastics on a Gen4 and 5 and see if there is a difference.

The OEM Gen5 plastic sights are so good that I have considered leaving them on permanently.
    The sights are different for sure, the markings in the rear and the gap is different. They are better. But they are still cheap plastic.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bear13 View Post
    The sights are different for sure, the markings in the rear and the gap is different. They are better. But they are still cheap plastic.

So are MOE handguards and the frame of the G19 itself

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    So are MOE handguards and the frame of the G19 itself
    That is bullshit. High strength polymer and cheap plastic should never be compared.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I thought it was just me, but the factory plastic sights on the Gen5 19 I handled did seem quicker/easier to line up.

Feedback Score

One would think that there is not. I'm reading multiple reports on this and other forums that sights made for previous Gen's shoot to POA on a Gen 5. But do tell us what you find.

You and me both. I think the disrespect for the plastic sights came from two things: holsters will eventually wear down the front sight from multiple presentations, and sometimes the front sight isn't very tightly installed and can be shot off. I actually shot one off a Gen 2 Glock 17 in the first hundred rounds or so over 20 years ago.

I still love the XS Big Dot sights, though. I broke down and ordered a set of those last night. I guess the Dawson sights will go in the spares box when they arrive. Then again, Glocks tend to breed in storage so they may get installed eventually.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 10-20-17 at 10:54.

Feedback Score
    That is bullshit. High strength polymer and cheap plastic should never be compared.

It’s not BS. All plastic is polymer. Glocks and magpul furniture are plastic.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

What replacement sights for Glock Gen 5?

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    It’s not BS. All plastic is polymer. Glocks and magpul furniture are plastic.
    You really think they are all the same? Seriously? You can get cute with definitions but there is a huge difference in structure with cheap plastic and good polymers.

Plastic sights break. That is why people do not want to run them.

Last edited by bear13; 10-20-17 at 13:30.

Feedback Score
    For those who may not have closely examined the new G17Gen5 and G19Gen5, mine have the same front sight as current previous generations. On a side note referring to Post#37 of a front sight being "shot off". Old Glock front sights did not usually use a screw. They either were staked on; or used a pin to expand the front sight base. Glock front sights are now secured with a screw coming up through the slide from the bottom. Whether the screw-on method is stronger-or-not might be debatable, it definitely allows for easier removal, replacement, or re-use of the front sight. The current polymer Glock front sight is #6956.

On my Gen5 Glocks, the rear sights were marked 6.1 (mm) whereas prior G17 & G19 generations came with 6.5 (mm) rear sights. There were some reports/comments of others' Gen5 Glocks coming with 6.5 rear sights, but not mine. The new 6.1 polymer rear sight is narrower overall, and its notch is wider than the older #154 6.1mm rear polymer sight. Glock's latest parts list does indicate a new 6.5mm polymer rear sight for the Gen5 Glocks, part #39724, but I've not yet seen the part number for a Gen5 6.1mm rear sight.

Note, I don't think Glock used the #33270 6.1 G42/43 rear sight but I haven't yet closely compared the two. If I remember to do so, I'll look at my original G43 rear sight and my G17/19Gen5 rear sights, but I'm traveling right now and can't do so.

My G17/19Gen5 guns do seem to shoot lower at 15 yards (remember, mine came with 6.1 rear sights, not 6.5), but I've typically noticed most of my non-Gen5 Glocks shooting higher than point of aim (POA) anyway. (If there was one, a 6.3mm rear sight would probably be better for me.)

To answer the original post's title of "What replacement sights for Glock Gen 5?" the answer is always going to be anything you want and it's all personal preference. Night sights, steel sights, round rear notches, and different width front sights, are some of the many options out there. Every sight maker hopes it'll have just the right combination available to sell its sights to you.
    Last edited by L-2; 10-20-17 at 14:09.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast