Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Ford Sucks (advice needed, venting..)

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    There is an old saying: "never throw away your old rag until you have a new one". And ford has done that repeatedly. The F series trucks with the 7.3L Power stroke engine by Navistar (international harvester) was there greatest engine and out performed GM and Dodge by far. They replaced that engine with a Ford designed 6.4L for there Super Duty trucks, they also replaced the tried and true 4R100 & 6R140 5 speed tow/haul transmission designed by for the 5R110W 6 speed automatic tow/haul transmission designed by Ford. In the last 10 years, Ford trucks have gone down in both performance and reliability. Almost every military truck that is manufactured by Oshkosh, Stewart & Stevenson, AM General, FPI (General Dynamics) has either a CAT, Cummins engine or a Navistar Powerstroke engine. Now Chevrolet uses Duramax (Isuzu) and Allison transmissions and for the last few years have remained on top of the heavy duty truck podium.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That just sounds like a shitty dealer.. my personal experience was different;

I had my 2010 F150 for a little over a year when the left cylinder head gave out all of a sudden.

Cause: K&N oil filter let in contaminants, and scored the camshaft.

Ford not only repaired my truck under full warranty, but they loaned me a car for the entire time my truck was in the shop.

The only money I paid out of pocket was the oil change they gave the engine.

They recommended I NEVER use K&N oil filters again...

I’ve always driven Fords, and have always caught shit from GM guys for it.

That’s the only “big problem” or problem in general I’ve ever had.

I think Ford did drop the ball on their 11-13 Coyote 5.0 F150s though by putting the alrernator at the bottom. They got rid of 50+ Fords at work because of that issue and went full Silverado 2500’s.
    Last edited by SilverBullet432; 10-18-17 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    Fords are great, until they stop working as intended, then your story is pretty consistent with everyone else, including my own family has experienced.

We won't be owning another one, even if we like the vehicle.

Some of the horror stories from people who dealt with the CP4 pump failure on their diesel getting stuck with 12k repairs bills are insane. GM fixed their vehicle without many problems, and certainly didn't stick people with the bill.

Any time ive had a minor issue with my ram, it has always been addressed quickly, promptly, and without any issues so long as the problem has been covered by warranty.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post

I had my 2010 F150 for a little over a year when the left cylinder head gave out all of a sudden.

Ford not only repaired my truck under full warranty, but they loaned me a car for the entire time my truck was in the shop.

I think Ford did drop the ball on their 11-13 Coyote 5.0 F150s though by putting the alrernator at the bottom. They got rid of 50+ Fords at work because of that issue and went full Silverado 2500’s.
    Dealers have no say in the matter, it's Ford Corporate that makes the decisions in such matters and who I have been communicating with on the issue.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience Will. Good luck with finding a solution that works best for you. As a current owner of 4 Fords, two of which are past 300k miles, I've had a great ownership experience which is why I keep going back to the brand.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    Sorry for your luck with your Ford WillBrink. I used to be a "buy American" guy even though I knew the Japanese were producing much better vehicles and I'd have more repairs/quicker replacement requirement. Anyway, based on what I've experienced, seen, heard, I won't own any more Fords either. I've had fairly good luck with my Silverado (more repairs than I'd like including a new catalytic convertor at about 100K miles). Pretty poor luck with GM cars (Caprice, LeSabre). HORRIBLE luck with VW.

Regardless, due to the bailout, I won't be buying GM or Chrysler/Dodge again. I'm also of the opinion that buying any UAW produced vehicle is akin to writing a check to the DNC. Between bailout and UAW problem, my idea of 'patriotism' in vehicle purchases has changed significantly, leaving me with Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Subaru, and maybe Nissan. I've read that Toyota Tundras have had some issues with transmission, so hopefully they'll get that sorted before I buy. No real info on the new Nissan Titans. Honda/Mazda/Subaru obviously only for cars.

Had it not been for bailout, I'd likely be in for a Suburban and Colorado in near future.

Feedback Score
    Anecdotal evidence is mostly what is offered here, so I will add my own.

1) 2005 Dodge truck - water pump went out at 50k, they offered to replace it, but the replacement part took six weeks to arrive (during the post-2008 recession), transmission shot at 90k miles
    2) 2010 Toyota Corolla - lost 35% of value overnight because they could not get their PR right after a couple women supposedly had unintended acceleration
    3) 2011 Ford Escape - pretty impressive except for a failing trunk door latch that cost $450 to replace
    4) 2012 GMC Canyon - just a cheapest possible POS with $100 oil changes... That was my last GM, as they just kept squeezing blood from the stone

They are automobiles, the classic depreciating assets. The service is also pretty disappointing with most dealers.
    I will likely try Honda next.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    There is an old saying: "never throw away your old rag until you have a new one". And ford has done that repeatedly. The F series trucks with the 7.3L Power stroke engine by Navistar (international harvester) was there greatest engine and out performed GM and Dodge by far. They replaced that engine with a Ford designed 6.4L for there Super Duty trucks, they also replaced the tried and true 4R100 & 6R140 5 speed tow/haul transmission designed by for the 5R110W 6 speed automatic tow/haul transmission designed by Ford. In the last 10 years, Ford trucks have gone down in both performance and reliability. Almost every military truck that is manufactured by Oshkosh, Stewart & Stevenson, AM General, FPI (General Dynamics) has either a CAT, Cummins engine or a Navistar Powerstroke engine. Now Chevrolet uses Duramax (Isuzu) and Allison transmissions and for the last few years have remained on top of the heavy duty truck podium.
    For such a knowledgeable truck guy you left out Ford's best diesel engine idea of all time, the one that actual replaced the 7.3L Power Stroke, the 6.0L Power Stroke....that one was brilliant.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Will,

Contact the Florida AG's Consumer affairs division. Let the dealer know you are doing it. I hope you have some record of the time that it did it in the service department. That alone should get it fixed or, better yet replaced.

My mother got scammed pretty bad, I called the folks, told them to let her out of the contract, they gave me the run-a-round, I told them, OK I just want you to know that I've recorded this call, when I hang up I'm calling the consumer affairs division of the Kansas Attorney General's office. I was immediately put on with a supervisor that could do something and mom's money was refunded.

I didn't even have to play the 'they know me' card.

If the threat doesn't get action, follow through and call them (AG), solving consumer issues is one of the way's AG's get re-elected.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post

They fixed it so good for you. As far as K&N oil filters, they're really good oil filters. They're made by Champion Labs. Good stuff. Their air filters, that's a whole different story.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast