Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Pro Help: MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X vs 3M Peltor ComTac III

Feedback Score

Ear Pro Help: MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X vs 3M Peltor ComTac III

So guys I need your help.

My cheap Canadian Tire Ear Pro's are cutting it anymore.

I am looking to spend electronic ear pros.

I have read MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X and 3M Peltor ComTac III are the best of the best.

Which one would you guys recommend? Or is there an even better option.

Budget is under $700

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I haven't used the Peltor, but I have two pairs of Sordins. One is a Pro-X neckband and the other is a Pro headband. They're both pretty nice. I bought the second pair as neckband figuring it would work better with hats, but I find that the cups don't seal as well as the headband version, so I don't wear them as much. They're also only NRR 18/19, so if I'm on a crowded outdoor range or at the indoor range, I double them up with foamy plugs.

Anyway, they've been reliable, the gel ear cups are comfortable for long sessions, good sound with plenty of volume, and they seem to have really good battery life.

The couple things I don't like:
    - You get to listen to all the random jibber-jabber of the other idiots on the range, which can be distracting.
    - They don't seem to be able to react quite quick enough to someone in the adjacent lane shooting a rifle with a brake.

Both of those problems are fairly easily remedied by just turning them off as needed, though, so no biggie.

Anyway, I just shoot dirt clods with the other booger pickers, so they're 10x overkill for what I need. I can't tell you how they stand up to any sort of serious use, or driving rains, or with comms, or anything like that. But I like them.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I have both, though I think I I may have the Comtac IIs. I find them pretty much equal in just about every aspect except the battery compartment. I don't notice a difference with the profile but the stupid Sordin compartment is a pain in the ass. It's been so long that I don't remember the issue, I think I couldn't get the batteries out or something like that. I can change the peltor batteries while they're still on my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I have both, though I think I I may have the Comtac IIs. I find them pretty much equal in just about every aspect except the battery compartment. I don't notice a difference with the profile but the stupid Sordin compartment is a pain in the ass. It's been so long that I don't remember the issue, I think I couldn't get the batteries out or something like that. I can change the peltor batteries while they're still on my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that. This is 100% correct. Changing the batteries on the Sordins is a cast-iron bitch. Thankfully I haven't had to do it too much, but when you do, it sucks.

The batteries are stacked on top of each other, but access to the compartment is a single round hole in line with the top battery. To install them, you need to slide one battery into the hole then jiggle it around until it drops into its spot enough that you can then use the second battery to pry it down into the contacts. Once it's aligned and pried down, you can slide in the top battery and screw the lid closed.

Getting them out requires removing the cap and the top battery, holding that ear cup aligned so that the hole is down, then banging the crap out of it until you manage to overcome the tension of the contacts and dislodge the battery. Once it's free, you can jiggle it out of the hole as well.

Takes way longer to do than to describe. You'll get to practice cursing while you do it, though, so there's that...
    Last edited by kerplode; 10-18-17 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have Peltor Comtac IIIs
    I use them with a PTT and a PRC 148 clone as well as just regular ear pro.

I haven’t used the Sordins but I’m content with the Peltors

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've only owned the Sordins, never used the Comtacs.

I'd spend less and get the Peltor Tactical Sport, around $130 and does a great job overall IMO. People will flame away about how retarded I am for saying it, but the Sordin Supreme Pro X just didn't seem to lower the sound wave enough for my ears. The NRR is lower and at the end of the day FELT lower as my ears still rang for a while. I sold them for that reason.

If you NEED to hear EVERYTHING clearly and miss nothing, they were GREAT.

If you need more attenuation and less clarity, I'd go with the Peltor Tac Sports.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I own both and the winner for me is the Peltors simply because of the battery replacement. Also get gel ear cups.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Any reason you’re not considering the new Peltor Sport Tactical 300/500?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Any reason you’re not considering the new Peltor Sport Tactical 300/500?
    No commcapability.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    No commcapability.
    Right. I didn’t read that he needed that capability in his opening.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast