Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitrided stainless?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Nitrided stainless?

Can any if the people that have experience with stainless barrels that are nitride/melonite treated chime in? Im interested to see and hear if it extends the life of the SS barrel to near chrome moly levels durability? Could be a great option if it does for the barrel what it doea for 4150.
    What do you guys think?

Regards,
    Darrin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlraymond30 View Post
    Can any if the people that have experience with stainless barrels that are nitride/melonite treated chime in? Im interested to see and hear if it extends the life of the SS barrel to near chrome moly levels durability? Could be a great option if it does for the barrel what it doea for 4150.
    What do you guys think?

Regards,
    Darrin
    I just had this conversation yesterday while researching an upcoming article. The end answer is that while it is desirable for some things, SS barrels are not one of them.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Can you tell me why? I see that several high end manufacterers are offering the option. Faxon makes a really nice one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I just had this conversation yesterday while researching an upcoming article. The end answer is that while it is desirable for some things, SS barrels are not one of them.
    I have heard the same.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can you tell me why? I see that several high end manufacterers are offering the option. Faxon makes a really nice one.
    The conversation involved a larger picture.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's the thread that finally got us as close to an apples to apples comparison between chrome lined and melonited barrels thanks to FaxonNathan and Plouf/Mrgunsngear.

In it is also info about nitrided stainless.

https://www.ar●●.com/forums/ar-●●/-A...693734/?page=1

To fill in the missing bits, answer 4+11

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can you tell me why?
    Stainless barrels are not more accurate than CM.

Stainless offers a reasonable increase in corrosion resistance for a barrel that isn't coated. Barrels that are coated are not as accurate. Coatings take sharp edges and round them slightly, and are never more consistent than the base barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Here's the thread that finally got us as close to an apples to apples comparison between chrome lined and melonited barrels thanks to FaxonNathan and Plouf/Mrgunsngear.

In it is also info about nitrided stainless.

https://www.ar●●.com/forums/ar-●●/-A...693734/?page=1

To fill in the missing bits, answer 4+11
    Sorry, arfcom is interested in money, not credibility.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Stainless barrels are not more accurate than CM.

Stainless offers a reasonable increase in corrosion resistance for a barrel that isn't coated. Barrels that are coated are not as accurate. Coatings take sharp edges and round them slightly, and are never more consistent than the base barrel.
    Nitride is a treatment, not a coating so I don't believe that is correct. This is why some claim nitride is more accurate than chrome, and theoretically I can agree with the principal. From my shooting experience my nitride barrels seem to group more consistently... But nitride will never replace chrome on my defensive carbines.

If I recall correctly, certain ss barrels have charecteristics about the steel that help with precision shooting, however nitride changes the composition of the barring surface of the barrel where the bullet contacts which negates the positive attributes ss had in the first place.

But it's been so long since I read about this subject I could very well be mistaken.
    I just remember that basically if you are looking to Cloverleaf groups, and you really want to shoot Precision to just go for an unlined stainless steel barrel.
    If you just want to shoot 1-2 moa at 100 yards you probably won't see the benefit of a ss barrel.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 10-19-17 at 03:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have heard some guys talk about breaking in a stainless steel barrel with a few hundred rounds, and then having it nitride treated afterwards. Those guys said they had good results.

Personally I think the time and money would be better spent on handloading your own ammo. I have 4150 nitride barrels that shoot submoa with handloads, but still shoot 2-4 moa with m855.
    A nice ss barrel is a complete waste of money if you don't handload or buy really expensive factory ammo in my opinion.
    I like handloading because I can make match grade ammunition that expands for about the same price as wolf steel case ammo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast