Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nitrided stainless?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can get into the specifics of conversion coatings vs etch and chrome but the basic point I made is true to both.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I can get into the specifics of conversion coatings vs etch and chrome but the basic point I made is true to both.
    For people who are unaware, Todd was John Noveskes right hand man. Todd had direct knowledge, input, and workings with products (both public and unknown) of Noveske Rifleworks from the start. He was with Johnny while they were working out of his first shop (converted garage).

To say that Todd has an understanding of the AR15, as well as humility, would be an incredible understatement.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So should my Faxon 416R stainless with QPQ nitride finish inside and out and 5R-EE be more or less accurate than a chromed lined barrel that's not 5R?
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    So nitride does round the edges ? That is very interesting, I was always told/believed the opposite was true. I was always told that Nitride type treatments doesn't effect the internal contours of the barrel at all, where as chrome does/can. I would love to hear your knowledge on the subject. It would be nice to have an industry professional give us some details. I know myself and many others have mostly just read speculations on the subject, rather than concrete data points.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So does anyone have any info on barrel life of a melonite/nitrided stainless barrel? Seems like this thread went a little sideways. I had read that it makes the barrel slightly more durable but decreases the corrosion resistance of stainless steel. I have no direct experience though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    id be very interested in either a readers digest version or the full monty breakdown of said specifics!

Feedback Score
    I would rather have a Nitride barrel. Leave the chrome lined barrels on the battle field.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Ive seen damn good sccurscy out of the Faxon ss bbl with nitride in 5.56 chamber.... Just sayin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    @dlraymond
    What faxon barrel length twist and upper ?
    What rounds and grouping?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sure, but it is never more accurate than before the coating. I'm not saying it's a bad barrel, but what is the stainless bringing? Because there is no reason a CM barrel can't be made to the same quality as a SS barrel. So why not take the better heat resistance of CM?

Yes and maybe on nitride reducing the corrosion resistance of stainless. I am not an expert, but I have talked with a few. It does in the conversion process remove the outer layer of chromium. But barrels are made out of some of the least corrosion resistant stainless grades anyway.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast