Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shield RMS for Handguns

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    With how insanely low type 1 RMR's have been recently, why even bother with a mini RDS that "might" work?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    With how insanely low type 1 RMR's have been recently, why even bother with a mini RDS that "might" work?
    Because the RMR type 1 has problems with the battery contacts,....annoying green tinted glass,...and can not co-witness with factory height sights.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanCarbine View Post
    Because the RMR type 1 has problems with the battery contacts,....annoying green tinted glass,...and can not co-witness with factory height sights.
    Seal plate usually takes care of any flicker I have seen. Someone mentioned using batteries with thicker collars (Panasonic) helps as well on another thread, sounds like a good idea, but I haven't tested it.

blue tint is a non issue for most, including myself.

co-witness is subjective.

All I am saying is the reviews so far on these by anyone who uses dots full-time, or are SME on red dots on handguns, they are no go for anything more than a range plinker.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is a neat idea, but I would wait to see how they hold up if you’re using it on a defensive handgun. I could t find any water resistance claims, so that kind of set off alarms. I may not be swimming out of torpedo tubes, but I’ve sure as shit been soaked to the bones in some storms. Last thing I need is to have my primary sighting system go down due to water.

They do offer some nice features. The fact that it sits flush with the sides of the gun is nice. Battery replacement without removal is awesome. Just a little bit of maturity and they will be pretty darned good.

Feedback Score
    Positive Shield RMS assessment from something less than 1000 rounds on my Glock 26.

- I carry IWB, with supressor sights, so waterproofing is less critical in my determination
    - detested the RMR's blue tint and fuzzy reticle, YMMV
    - smaller form factor than comparables
    - able to swap batteries without a range trip to verify zero (pro tip... The zero can wander on RMRs on reinstall)
    - downsides include plastic lenses, which collects a bit of dust

I made my choice after a disappointing RMR experience . I like the RDS concept, but not an RMR fan.
    To date, the Shield RMS is adequate.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Shield RMS

Our agency got one of the 4 moa models for test and evaluation. Came with mounting plate and two batteries.
    We tested this on a GLOCK 17 MOS. Everyone who shot this weapons system really tightened their groups, especially from 25-50 yards.
    The biggest advantage of this sight is the fact it will work with factory sights (which that expense we would have to consider), small, lightweight and very durable.
    We shot over 10,000 rounds with a variety of different shooters without any malfunctions.
    We did have to re-tighten the screws as we did not locktite it because it was a T&E setup.
    With the evaluation, we have or are in the process of approving these for off duty carry.
    We will be looking to going to the MOS models in the future but the only .40 cal they make is the 35. We issue both 9mm and .40, choice of the deputy. GLOCK 35 are issued to SWAT and they may be the first ones we issue to.
    Sure, there are more robust, expensive sights, but the Shield seems to fit our requirements.
    Good luck.
    TC145

Feedback Score
    Ordered one from Brownells, with their low profile mounting plate. I have five hundred rounds through it, with no flaws. With the low profile mounting plate, you can co-witness with oem sights. It works for me.

Feedback Score
    Been running a 4 moa Shield (with low profile mount) on my Glock 41 for a month, having put 300-400 rounds through it. Optic has been solid with no issues relating to moisture or durability or anything else for that matter.

The only issue I've noted has been shooter related...learning to use an optic as opposed to standard pistol sights, after shooting fixed sights for 30+ years.

Feedback Score
    I now have several hundred (a lot for me) through my 17 MOS with Shield now with no problems so far. I like it, but its my first optic so I having nothing to reference for comparison. For me, speed hasn't really improved at closer ranges, but where it really shines is longer range precision.
    Last edited by jstrange; 10-31-17 at 13:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sage Dynamics did a torture test!
    Results are not good lol
    The RMS was toast after a direct hit from 1 shoulder height drop.
    Last edited by KITTEN_FRENZY; 10-31-17 at 17:29.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast