Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any General Schedule (GS) Employees/Retirees?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Any General Schedule (GS) Employees/Retirees?

I just got picked up on the GS payband after being a contractor. Any good insight anyone want to share?

Huge downer is I lose my Tricare Reserve Select due to being eligible for FEHB as a FERS employee. What a bummer as my rate now increase by double of what I paid for health/dental.

I’ve got 92% of my Reserve basic pay going into TSP, I’ll be opting into the new blended retirement system so they’ll match up to 5%. On the GS side, I can afford about 20% to put away into the TSP.

As far as buying back my time, I’ll buy back 4 years of active service. I’m under age 30.

Am I doing anything wrong so far?
    Last edited by contax_shooter; 10-18-17 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I cannot speak for the military side of things, but I would strongly advise placing your TSP savings in one of the L funds (e.g. 2040 or 2050) or a TSP Roth. If you are stock-savvy you could pick and choose/move around your savings within the various funds. I prefer to have the work done for me��

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Not doing anything wrong that I see. Put as much as you can in TSP. I started out with 5% of base pay for my first few years as a GS7. Now 25 years later I wish I had maxxed out from day one. I'm in L2040 by the way. Buy back your .mil time. Many years ago someone calculated out for me. My $2100 I paid back for 6 years time will get me $1800 more a year in retirement. David

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    ^ Forgot to add this- you cannot contribute too much too early

Feedback Score
    If you are a member of the Reserve you should also be able to "buy back" any time you were on Title 10 status....annual training, schools attended on active duty (not to include weekend drills).

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    I just got picked up on the GS payband after being a contractor. Any good insight anyone want to share?

Huge downer is I lose my Tricare Reserve Select due to being eligible for FEHB as a FERS employee. What a bummer as my rate now increase by double of what I paid for health/dental.

I’ve got 92% of my Reserve basic pay going into TSP, I’ll be opting into the new blended retirement system so they’ll match up to 5%. On the GS side, I can afford about 20% to put away into the TSP.

As far as buying back my time, I’ll buy back 4 years of active service. I’m under age 30.

Why are you opting into the BRS? I haven't seen a single example that would benefit anyone unless the stock market ALWAYS goes up. I could be wrong and am genuinely curious.
    Last edited by steyrman13; 10-19-17 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks for everyone’s input.

As far as opting for BRS on the mil side, I only served 4 years on active duty and my first year as a reservist. It makes sense to go into the BRS.

I’ve sent out my estimated earnings form RI 20-97 for an inquiry, awaiting to hear back to see how much t costs to buy my active time back. Either way, it’s a no brained for the little amount of active time I’ve invested in.

I will certainly read into the other funds (L) or Roth.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Just make sure you do not exceed $18,000 a year total into the TSP as you are contributing from both reserve and .GOV (if you exceed the limits, the TSP will automatically return the excess after the year ends, but why wait?). I would stick with the .GOV and try to max it there, to keep things simple. If you plan on sticking with the .GOV until retirement then do not opt into the blended system on the reserve side, it offers no benefits as you already are in the TSP with matching. Might as well stick with 50% retirement for .MIL if you get there.

As far as .GOV, buying back .MIL time is a must. You have up to three years to pay the deposit before interest accrues, so get it moving.

Also get with your HR folks to get your military time credited towards vacation and retirement, also might effect pay steps.

Lastly if you have a VA rating, get it to them also. Puts you into a different bucket for .GOV employment actions in the future.
    SF

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

Thanks for everyone’s input.

As far as opting for BRS on the mil side, I only served 4 years on active duty and my first year as a reservist. It makes sense to go into the BRS.

I’ve sent out my estimated earnings form RI 20-97 for an inquiry, awaiting to hear back to see how much t costs to buy my active time back. Either way, it’s a no brained for the little amount of active time I’ve invested in.

I will certainly read into the other funds (L) or Roth.
    Do you plan to get 20 years? I still think the traditional mil retirement is a better deal if so. Unless the market sky rockets and never drops I can't see how it would benefit you. Congress came up with the BRS as a cost savings measure not to get the retiree more money. Especially as a reservist/guard you would never make enough in a paycheck for the latching to even make a dent. Only an active duty for 30 years service who is at your point in the career would come close to benefitting from the BRS

I guess if you plan to leave before 20 years it could benefit you some
    Last edited by steyrman13; 10-20-17 at 07:35.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Whoa, soup sandwich crisis. I’m going to stick with the weekend warrior gig as long as I can, only 15 more years to go.

I was under the impression that junior mil would benefit more with the BRS. Election window begins in 2018 so I have some time to consider which direction - leaning towards opting out from what I’ve read. I really need to speak with a financial advisor as someone else mentioned.

I won’t come close to the $18k contribution cap, more like $9k per year if I can manage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast